Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Purchasing a Macan GTS, but have few hold ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019 | 04:03 PM
mvc
Track Day

Default Purchasing a Macan GTS, but have few hold ups

I am having a Macan GTS shipped out from the Midwest to the West Coast, but haven't purchased it yet. The car is optioned the way I want, has 30k miles (it's a 2017) and is priced well compared to similar builds. It is also has a clear history on both Carfax/Experian. I can't wait to see the vehicle, it looks great in the photos. With that being said, I have a few concerns and was wondering if you fine people could help a future first-time Porsche buyer:

1.) This vehicle has one owner, but it was a lease turn in. It is not being sold by a Porsche dealership, rather an independent car dealer. Should I be concerned that it was not turned back into Porsche for them to CPO it?

2.) It has a tow hitch and custom all weather mats, along with Porsche racks attached to the factory roof rack (think Thule racks). Should I be concerned with the fact that this car has been (potentially) exposed to some rough treatment?

3.) Since it came from the Midwest, I can only assume it has been exposed to salt during the winter months. Cause for concern?

4.) The rear quarter panel has been repainted. She's no longer factory fresh, which is a huge bummer.

Any advice is hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking a moment to look this over/respond.

-M
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:59 AM
PSEE
Pro

Originally Posted by mvc
I am having a Macan GTS shipped out from the Midwest to the West Coast, but haven't purchased it yet. The car is optioned the way I want, has 30k miles (it's a 2017) and is priced well compared to similar builds. It is also has a clear history on both Carfax/Experian. I can't wait to see the vehicle, it looks great in the photos. With that being said, I have a few concerns and was wondering if you fine people could help a future first-time Porsche buyer:

1.) This vehicle has one owner, but it was a lease turn in. It is not being sold by a Porsche dealership, rather an independent car dealer. Should I be concerned that it was not turned back into Porsche for them to CPO it?

2.) It has a tow hitch and custom all weather mats, along with Porsche racks attached to the factory roof rack (think Thule racks). Should I be concerned with the fact that this car has been (potentially) exposed to some rough treatment?

3.) Since it came from the Midwest, I can only assume it has been exposed to salt during the winter months. Cause for concern?

4.) The rear quarter panel has been repainted. She's no longer factory fresh, which is a huge bummer.

Any advice is hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking a moment to look this over/respond.

-M

First off - why are you creating a new thread - directly tied to your previous threads (both here and in the macanforum) about your concerns
with purchasing a GTS?

Secondly, in answer to your items above:

1. Yes. There are PLENTY of CPO examples from which to choose. Your comment (not a question) in 4. provides the reason why it cannot be a CPO vehicle.

2. No. It's not a new car. Accept its prior use or find another example.

3. No. I believe these vehicles carry a 10 year body panel perforation warranty. Watch a Macan factory production video to see how the body it dipped/treated.

4. It stopped being factory fresh when the previous owner(s) drove it off the lot. If you don't want a vehicle that's had body work, find another one.

Good luck!!!

Old 09-11-2019 | 02:55 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

If this particular GTS is causing you this much anxiety and you have not even bought it, pass on it and find the right one for you. They are out there-believe us. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mvc (09-22-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 08:51 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

My dealer tried to get a GTS from an Infiniti dealer so he could CPO it for me but the Infiniti would not wholesale or even discount it for them! Is it worth it to buy from Infiniti and get after market warrenty or is the CPO THAT much better??
mvc (09-22-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 09:10 AM
PSEE
Pro

Porsche CPO is one of the best around!

Read the details at the following URL:

Good luck!
mvc (09-22-2019)
Old 09-18-2019 | 12:06 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

What did you end up doing, OP?
Old 09-22-2019 | 05:25 PM
mvc
Track Day

Originally Posted by PSEE
First off - why are you creating a new thread - directly tied to your previous threads (both here and in the macanforum) about your concerns
with purchasing a GTS?

Secondly, in answer to your items above:

1. Yes. There are PLENTY of CPO examples from which to choose. Your comment (not a question) in 4. provides the reason why it cannot be a CPO vehicle.

2. No. It's not a new car. Accept its prior use or find another example.

3. No. I believe these vehicles carry a 10 year body panel perforation warranty. Watch a Macan factory production video to see how the body it dipped/treated.

4. It stopped being factory fresh when the previous owner(s) drove it off the lot. If you don't want a vehicle that's had body work, find another one.

Good luck!!!

Hi PSEE,

One was a duplicate and I am new/don't know how to delete a thread I started. As for the redundancy between here and Macan Forum, I suppose it was to have a wider net and receive more opinions (but that is pretty obvious).

I appreciate you pointing out that #4 was a statement and not a question. IMO it's unnecessary to point that out, but it definitely made me chuckle.

Thank you for taking a moment to respond to the thread.

Mac
Old 09-22-2019 | 06:15 PM
mvc
Track Day

Originally Posted by 991.1GTS
What did you end up doing, OP?
I bought the car! If you would like to hear the rationale behind the purchase, see below.

Upon my inspection, the car was damn near perfect, with the exception of a couple of rock chips on the front (and me knowing that the quarter panel was repainted).

Since there was a free return window from the dealership I purchased it from, I ended up getting the PPI through Porsche and was even able to find out which shop did the quarter panel paint job (which ended up the being the dealer's recommended choice in Colorado). I cannot tell that it was repainted, but I am no paint professional, so I took it to be looked at by one. The paint shop (recommended by my local Porsche dealership) said that it was extremely well done, which put me at ease about the exterior. Furthermore, Porsche said that there was no structural damage to the quarter panel, rather, that it was repainted because of surface/paint damage. Porsche also pulled service records and every routine maintenance was completed at the dealership on time. The service manager commented that the owner was meticulous in maintaining the vehicle and made a big deal that the car had ZERO bounces off the rev-limiter. The only derogatory remarks on the PPI were the couple of rock chips and repaint that I was already aware of.

All of these details made me feel comfortable with the car's history and condition, which ultimately led me to keeping it.

In the very near future I am going to have the chips on the front of the car fixed and the exterior ceramic coated. For added peace of mind, I also bought the 5 year/100k mile extended warranty.

Thank you so much for all of the responses here, you were each a MASSIVE help.

See you around!

Mac
Old 09-22-2019 | 09:24 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Pics?
mvc (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019 | 02:46 PM
jll1011
Racer

Great ending to the story. Congrats on the new car. Sounds great.
mvc (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019 | 11:25 PM
mvc
Track Day

Originally Posted by jll1011
Great ending to the story. Congrats on the new car. Sounds great.
Thank you, and thank you for the help!

Here are a couple of pics...please excuse the quality, I didn't realize I was on HDR on my iPhone until just now.

Old 09-30-2019 | 04:02 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Very nice.
mvc (09-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Macan GTS, but have few hold ups