Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Stock Spare Tire - No Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Stock Spare Tire - No Compressor?

Greetings everyone,

1. I drove the wife's Macan S yesterday and experienced a flat tire. Hellfire! I drove the wife's Macan b/c the service brake light came on a week or so ago. Wife is scared to drive it until the scheduled service is completed next week...
I ran over a nail. I stopped on the side of the road and prepared to jack up the rear. The stock jack is complete garbage. I was unsuccessful in finding a good location to jack up the rear. The jack has a very small surface area to raise the vehicle safely and effectively. I called my father-in-law to rescue me with a solid lift/jack.
With the solid lift/jack, I got the tire off in literally one minute.
When I retrieved the spare, it was flat. I did not locate a compressor. WTF!

What good is a spare if you don't get a compressor for the spare??? Am I missing something here?

2. Visited Discount Tire (they patched the tire - free of charge - awesome!) & was informed the stock tires, with 26,300 miles, need to be replaced (4/32). I checked Tire Rack & Discount Tire price matched. Ordered/Purchased Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus tires in 265/45/20 (F) & 295/40/20 (R).
I planned to trade the SUV in for a new one, but will now hold onto it for another year... Macan goes in for 30,00 mile service next week. Brakes need doing. Will bend over... In one week, spent $1250 for tires and whatever the 30k service will cost to include new brake pads. And the hits just keep on coming. The joys of big P ownership, lol...

Cheers,

B
Old 07-23-2019, 11:11 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The Owner's Manual has this to say about the compressor to use with the collapsible spare:

The following users liked this post:
BenDiem (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
In one week, spent $1250 for tires and whatever the 30k service will cost to include new brake pads. And the hits just keep on coming. The joys of big P ownership, lol...

Cheers,

B
Yeah, fun, isn't it?!
Old 07-24-2019, 03:22 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
I checked Tire Rack & Discount Tire price matched.

Cheers,

B
They did the same for me - price matched. Make sure you do a walk around your vehicle prior to tire change and check your rims after they are finished. Chipped and scratched two of my wife's wheels. They paid to have them fixed but I won't be going back there. Next time I'll buy direct from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my dealer for install.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Several Porsche dealers (if not all) are part of a TireRack program. My local dealer says they will get the tires for the same price as TireRack (they just order from TR).
Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ Good to know. TY.

Cheers/BB
Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Buy direct from Tire Rack

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
Several Porsche dealers (if not all) are part of a TireRack program. My local dealer says they will get the tires for the same price as TireRack (they just order from TR).
BUT...my local Porsche dealer told me that the TireRack 2-year Tire Road Hazard Protection coverage does not apply when I purchase via the dealer. They said I have to purchase direct from Tire Rack to get the Tire Road Hazard Protection that comes on most tires that Tire Rack sells.
https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...ires/trhp.html
Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobon100
They did the same for me - price matched. Make sure you do a walk around your vehicle prior to tire change and check your rims after they are finished. Chipped and scratched two of my wife's wheels. They paid to have them fixed but I won't be going back there. Next time I'll buy direct from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my dealer for install.
Better yet take a picture of each wheel - hard to refute damage when you have a pic.
The following users liked this post:
BenDiem (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

The dealer was taking pictures of the car when i took it in a few weeks ago. Hopefully they wouldn't "lose" the pictures if there was an issue.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

O/P - did you ever find your compress? I too have been too angry and frustrated to read.
I change the winter tires over twice a year. This year wife, and each kid took turns removing a wheel and installing.
Nothing better than practice. And i might add, in a well lite, warm and safe environment.

I snowmobile as well. One of my riding partners had never changed a drive belt. Practiced in the warm, well lite garage.

While I'm on my soap box. Who knows how to turn the water main off at their house? Practice with all family members.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:39 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Big Smoke, I like your preparedness and involving the family. Very good idea!

one other thought, I bought a tire kit with tire goo and a compressor from Amazon. Affordable and good to have backup. Having tire plugs are good too. The Macan spare does not look very robust.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

The day that I got delivery of my 2019 Macan, I had the salesman show me only one thing (as a seasoned Porsche owner, there isn't a lot for me to learn): how to blow up the spare tire in an emergency. He took of the side panel in the cargo area to show me the compressor. Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but now I know where to go if I ever get a flat while out in the wilderness.

Quick Reply: Stock Spare Tire - No Compressor?