Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Can "Hold" function be disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019 | 10:47 PM
bahuber
2nd Gear

Default Can "Hold" function be disabled?

Acquired a '15 Macan S last fall. The brake "hold" activates often on level ground, when not purposely initiated and thus unexpected. I've RTM, and had dealer check it out. I'm told that it must be me, inadvertently putting pressure on the brake as my RF goes to accelerator and the system reads that as a Hold request. IF that's really the way it should work, that sensitive, I'd rather turn it off. I've had decades of practice with up- & down- hill starts with a clutch, for heaven's sake.
Old 07-12-2019 | 02:44 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

What’s the big deal? You just step on the gas and go. Sorry I don’t understand the issue.
Old 07-12-2019 | 07:11 AM
BradB
Drifting

Working properly, it’s not all that sensitive. It takes an authoritative “pump” to activate on level ground. I use it a lot at stoplights and such where I can then put my right foot back over the accelerator and get an even quicker jump when ready to roll. I love it. And as mentioned, it’s pretty seamless when wanting to go forward. No lurching, no hesitation. The smallest actuation of the accelerator gets you rolling. I’ve used this function as an advantage and never a detriment.
The following users liked this post:
ottobon100 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019 | 11:10 AM
PSEE
Pro

Originally Posted by bahuber
Acquired a '15 Macan S last fall. The brake "hold" activates often on level ground, when not purposely initiated and thus unexpected. I've RTM, and had dealer check it out. I'm told that it must be me, inadvertently putting pressure on the brake as my RF goes to accelerator and the system reads that as a Hold request. IF that's really the way it should work, that sensitive, I'd rather turn it off. I've had decades of practice with up- & down- hill starts with a clutch, for heaven's sake.
YOU are initiating it by pressing a second time on the brake pedal when you stop the vehicle.

Or, YOU are initiating it when you lift your foot off the brake pedal in order to go to the accelerator pedal by pressing
a fraction of a second before you lift.

Think about it - try to observe closely what it is that YOU are doing to activate the Hold function.
Old 07-12-2019 | 12:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

If the hold feature is operating correctly, it shouldn't be that sensitive to engage; mine takes a bit of a firm and deliberate push of the brake pedal.
Old 07-12-2019 | 12:09 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

I actually like the hold feature, but if it were triggering on level ground it would annoy me too. In my opinion, it takes a fair amount of extra brake pedal pressure to trigger it when not on an incline. Okay, maybe it's just because you have a lead foot - but then again maybe not and something needs to be adjusted. I'd let someone else drive the car and see if they experience it frequently engaging on level ground as well.
Old 07-13-2019 | 12:36 AM
bahuber
2nd Gear

Appreciate the feedback, everyone.
Old 07-14-2019 | 02:30 PM
ozziegt
Racer

I've found that it can activate if you let off the brake too slowly and it thinks that your foot slipped off by accident.
Old 07-15-2019 | 09:15 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

I sometimes activate it in reverse out of the garage (level), but often when I'm driving different cars and suspect it's probably confused muscle memory.
Old 07-26-2019 | 09:35 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

It's a great feature, we have it on my wifes M/B C 300, I was happy to find that it is a feature on the MACAN

Quick Reply: Can "Hold" function be disabled?