Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Comparing the Macan and cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:05 AM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you everyone. And thanks meyecul. I suppose that's what I was truly wondering, as I keep hearing that the "gap has closed." If it has closed a decent amount, it seems like the Cayenne may be more functional...

I think I'm going to try and figure out how to rent one of each in Los Angeles. More time with each one may help.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

I own a 991.2 C4 and a Macan S. This week, I've had a new Cayenne loaner while both of my cars (sequentially) have been in for routine service. I really dislike the Cayenne (base) loaner. Aside from being solid, I find it to be way too bulky, cumbersome and underpowered. It doesn't seem to have any of the Porsche magic that's made my ownership of other Porsches so wonderful. Very ordinary from all aspects: exterior looks, interior quality, driving performance. Disappointingly mediocre.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 AM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Have had/have 911SC, 993C2, 997C2S, 993TT, 997GT3, 997TTS, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo, Macan GTS over the last 30+ years. I wouldn’t suggest that one car is particularly “better” than the others, they all are different and have different strengths and weaknesses.

‘12 Cayenne Turbo vs ‘17 Macan GTS. Two different animals. Macan PDK is superior to Cayenne automatic. Cayenne Turbo power is superior to Macan GTS power (500HP vs 360HP) although the Macan GTS is lighter (4178 lbs vs 4785 lbs). Cayenne Turbo .1 second faster 0-60. Cayenne has more back seat room and cargo room. I could fit two Labradors in the cargo area and squeeze one in the Macan. Cayenne tows 7700 lbs versus 4400 lbs for the Macan. Macan excels in fuel economy, I can’t say that one is better than the other. They are different and the best choice is dependent on one’s needs. I tow a 4500lb boat and the Cayenne Turbo is my vehicle of choice. I have 165k miles on my CTT and it has been relatively maintenance neutral (wear parts only) and if I were to replace it, I’d pick up a 2013-2014 Cayenne GTS. Just love the normally aspirated V8. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bgoldey; 07-26-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgoldey
‘12 Cayenne Turbo vs ‘17 Macan GTS. Two different animals. Macan PDK is superior to Cayenne automatic. Cayenne Turbo power is superior to Macan GTS power (500HP vs 360HP) although the Macan GTS is lighter (4178 lbs vs 4785 lbs). Cayenne Turbo .1 second faster 0-60. Cayenne has more back seat room and cargo room. I could fit two Labradors in the cargo area and squeeze one in the Macan. Cayenne tows 7700 lbs versus 4400 lbs for the Macan. Macan excels in fuel economy, I can’t say that one is better than the other. They are different and the best choice is dependent on one’s needs. I tow a 4500lb boat and the Cayenne Turbo is my vehicle of choice. I have 165k miles on my CTT and it has been relatively maintenance neutral (wear parts only) and if I were to replace it, I’d pick up a 2013-2014 Cayenne GTS. Just love the normally aspirated V8. Hope that helps.
Agree, having had a 2011 Cayenne Turbo prior to my Macan GTS. The Cayenne Turbo of course gives you the 'instant on' driveability of the V8, and handles quite amazing for what it is especially when equipped with the optional PDCC. But the Macan GTS counters with the wonderful PDK tranny, lighter weight, and tidier dimensions which just results in a more dynamic overall driving experience IMO...and still offers some measure of utility.

I love 'em both, but in the end I just didn't need the increased room/volume of the Cayenne anymore. So after having had a Macan GTS as a service loaner for an extended period and really enjoying it, that's what I went for when it came time for my next Porsche.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:11 PM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Agree, having had a 2011 Cayenne Turbo prior to my Macan GTS. The Cayenne Turbo of course gives you the 'instant on' driveability of the V8, and handles quite amazing for what it is especially when equipped with the optional PDCC. But the Macan GTS counters with the wonderful PDK tranny, lighter weight, and tidier dimensions which just results in a more dynamic overall driving experience IMO...and still offers some measure of utility.

I love 'em both, but in the end I just didn't need the increased room/volume of the Cayenne anymore. So after having had a Macan GTS as a service loaner for an extended period and really enjoying it, that's what I went for when it came time for my next Porsche.
I agree with the last two posts comparing the previous generation Cayenne Turbo to the Macan GTS. I had a 2012 CTT and the Macan GTS was just different, but the Turbo was more responsive than the Macan. I think the Macan handled a bit better, but in the end, it was too small in the rear seat and cargo area. I wonder if there are any thoughts in comparing the current Macan S to the previous Macan GTS.

Quick Reply: Comparing the Macan and cayenne