Transfer Case - Fluid Change Frequency?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
See this thread: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/com...placement.html
Apparently they added an extension tube to the vent so that it would be harder for moisture get in and also have a revised part number.
So it appears to be the same scenario here with the Macan that occurred with the 958 gen Cayennes (with which I'm quite familiar...been there, done that). The Cayenne revised the transfer case design and added an extended vent line kit which routes the opening up and into the engine compartment where it's protected from inhaling water from the road. There were some other minor revisions as well.

With the info provided here (thanks everyone) and advice from the two P dealers in my area, I plan to change my transfer case fluid in my Macan at 40k intervals using the OEM Porsche fluid. Fresh fluid changes have shown to do wonders for many/most of the Cayenne transfer cases exhibiting symptoms, however in some instances only a complete replacement cured the problem. My 2011 CTT had two TC replacements, first around 30k miles and then again just past 60k miles. The second replacement was the new redesigned unit. I'm not sure how it held up over time because I traded it for my Macan GTS when it reached 70k miles.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The part number used for my recent TC replacement was 95B-341-010-AX
Same here on my '16 Macan S. Replaced 9 May.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:00 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
So it appears to be the same scenario here with the Macan that occurred with the 958 gen Cayennes (with which I'm quite familiar...been there, done that). The Cayenne revised the transfer case design and added an extended vent line kit which routes the opening up and into the engine compartment where it's protected from inhaling water from the road. There were some other minor revisions as well.
Interesting, I wonder if people are getting confused between the two? I thought I had read about the vent line in other Macan threads as well but haven't been able to find them.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Try here: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/eng...xchange-3.html Post #28 starts info about the vent.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Mpoweroo1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add another to the list!!
Just replaced the transfer case on my wife's 2016 Macan S. Was just under 25k miles. Glad it was still under warranty.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

I took my TT in last week for new rubber, my 10K oil/filter change and had them check the alignment with new rubber going on. FYI: I had Goodyear Asymmetric 3's installed; love 'em so far.

My SA and I got into a discussion about this issue with front TC fluid changings with me stating I'll get it done at 30K. He said the Cayennes were having an issue in the past with their TC's. Issues. He said Porsche let the owners know they were recommending the fluid changed every 30K.

I have learned to take everything I hear with a large grain of salt these days. Don't know it to be true. Either way, I swear by preventative maintenance in all my vehicles.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case - Fluid Change Frequency?