Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Rear Cargo Area Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a Canvasback with the extra long bumper flap option. Works great.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Great info. Was looking into these last night. I think the reversible one and cargo net are my next purchases.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Great question. I think some folks really like the OEM carpet covering, but just want some extra measure of protection for the carpeted cargo area, versus a carpeted mat which is much easier (and cheaper) to replace if need be.

And when you do use the rubber side, it's nice and 'grippy' and the rubber side is more 'gunk' proof obviously. Again I really like this reversible mat in combination with the OEM cargo net. It also comes with a rubber fold-out bumper cover that protects the rear painted portion when loading and unloading. It attaches to both sides (carpeted or rubber) via a heavy duty velcro strip.
Thanks for the feedback. Can't tell from the photos but does it cover the four metal die down loops or are there cutouts for those?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM
bcbeak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Padded protection from Home Depot

I haul a lot of heavy music gear .. and learned my lesson from last car (Cayenne) ... that this gear can destroy the
interior ... especially any plastic parts ... so I bought a heavy duty rubber mat at Home Depot and cut it to fit. I think
I paid less than $50 dollars.

Home Depot Carpet
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Thanks for the feedback. Can't tell from the photos but does it cover the four metal die down loops or are there cutouts for those?
The OEM reversible mat leaves the metal tie down points in the cargo area exposed, which allow use of the cargo net. It's shaped to go around them. That's one of the things I really like about it.

And it's a high quality piece, as one would expect with Porsche OEM. It doesn't detract from the look of the vehicle inside, keeps it matching high quality.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
The OEM reversible mat leaves the metal tie down points in the cargo area exposed, which allow use of the cargo net. It's shaped to go around them. That's one of the things I really like about it.

And it's a high quality piece, as one would expect with Porsche OEM. It doesn't detract from the look of the vehicle inside, keeps it matching high quality.
thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Check out Kagu 3D Spider mats. Flexible. Textured, less utilitarian feeling. Have full set in Macan and 2 other DD’s. Clean up nicely and use year round.
I ordered one of these...we’ll see what it looks like and how it fits when it arrives. I like how it has little short walls all the way around.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:12 PM
sage-wiz
3rd Gear

Bumping this thread up to check current opinions on trunk mats. Anything new to share?

The reversible cargo mat + cargo net option from this thread is a great idea, and my leading contender. Is Suncoast still the best place to buy both, and do they sell exactly what you'd get from a Porsche dealer?

I was also considering the Cargo Liner Mat. Does the liner lip get in the way of sliding large objects in when you fold the rear seats down?
Old 01-19-2023, 10:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sage-wiz
Bumping this thread up to check current opinions on trunk mats. Anything new to share?

The reversible cargo mat + cargo net option from this thread is a great idea, and my leading contender. Is Suncoast still the best place to buy both, and do they sell exactly what you'd get from a Porsche dealer?

I was also considering the Cargo Liner Mat. Does the liner lip get in the way of sliding large objects in when you fold the rear seats down?
I have the same Porsche cargo liner mat you linked to in my Cayenne and I don’t like it as much as I liked the Kagu mat I had in my Macan. It has no texture and everything slides around back there.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:40 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

+1 for Canvasback liners. Have had them in many cars, including the Macan. The best I have found. I get the rear bumper flap too to protect when loading/unloading.

https://www.canvasback.com/
Old 01-20-2023, 11:42 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the OEM reversable mat and use that 98% of the time with the rubber side up. I use it with an old Audi net I have. I found the OEM net from Porsche too tight. The rubber side of the mat is very grippy.

For sloppy loads I have the Canvas Back full coverage. Really well made and fits perfectly. I have the side pieces too. The whole thing installs in minutes. The only problem with it is it is very slippery. You can get it with cut-outs for the tie downs so you can use a net. But that kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:36 PM
chazmink
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stanley246
Many thks to all forum members who replied all very useful info

Rgs Alan
I havecWeathertech which allows tie down access but you have to cut out the squares with a razor knife.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:43 PM
cjbright
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chazmink
I havecWeathertech which allows tie down access but you have to cut out the squares with a razor knife.
I have just installed the Weathertech cargo mat on my 24-hour old Macan S. I prefer the Weathertech mat because it has a raised lip around the perimeter, preventing spills (liquid, sand, etc.) from leaving the mat. The mat is being used in conjunction with the Porsche cargo net. As noted (and shown in the photos) to connect the net to the hooks, the area on the mat which covers the tie-down hooks must be cut out with a box cutter. This is easy. Importantly, the areas surrounding the cut-out portions have a raised lip. This means that cutting access for the hooks does not defeat the spill-proof mat design.

Old 01-22-2023, 11:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

I took Van Larson's advice and installed the 3D Maxspider Kagu Floor liners.

They also have the lip to prevent spillage from getting under the mat.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:02 AM
sage-wiz
3rd Gear

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Originally Posted by jjhasluck
I have the OEM reversable mat and use that 98% of the time with the rubber side up. I use it with an old Audi net I have. I found the OEM net from Porsche too tight. The rubber side of the mat is very grippy.
Would you happen to have a part number for the Audi net you prefer?

Originally Posted by cjbright
I have just installed the Weathertech cargo mat on my 24-hour old Macan S. I prefer the Weathertech mat because it has a raised lip around the perimeter, preventing spills (liquid, sand, etc.) from leaving the mat.
Does the raised lip get in the way of fitting large objects into the Macan when the rear seats are folded down? Seems like it would either block or get crushed by whatever is resting on top of the lip to fit into the rear seats area.

Quick Reply: Rear Cargo Area Protection