Macan 2014-Current

Save Your Back When Stacking Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Save Your Back When Stacking Wheels & Tires

O.K., I admit I'm not as young and strong as I was. I have degenerative discs (L3-4-5) and I dread changing out the wheels and tires on the Macan , especially stacking them for storage or getting them off the stack. I've made a nice dolly using a 2 foot square piece of 3/4-inch plywood and affixing casters at each corner but stacking these big, heavy wheels and tires has been a real chore. I found a simple hoist at Harbor Freight that deer hunters use #99758 retailing for $15.99 and a set of four soft loop tie-down straps #64040 for $3.99. (Be sure to use their 20% off coupons!). I already had a carabiner to gather the tie-downs after lacing them through the spokes. If you don't have a good beam to throw a chain over, screw in a big hook-eye into a joist. This rig makes taking them off and loading them on the dolly a piece of cake! Be sure to use a pair of work gloves to protect your hands from "rope rash" and to give yourself a better grip.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Wow that looks like a lot of work to just stack up some tires!

Sorry about your back, but if lifting them was a problem, I'd probably just find a place to store them without stacking them four high.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

I only have to do this twice per year so it isn't too much of a struggle. Tomorrow is the day for summer off/winter on for my SA's '04 WRX STI.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,562 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Good for you for coming up with a way to keep fighting the good fight.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Wow that looks like a lot of work to just stack up some tires!

Sorry about your back, but if lifting them was a problem, I'd probably just find a place to store them without stacking them four high.
Not a lot of work at all. Takes just a minute to install the straps and hoist into position. Sure beats getting a hernia or surgery to repair ruptured discs! Laying out the wheels is not an option since space is at a premium in our 2,000 sq. ft. garage. It houses seven cars, a workshop, racks and shelving for parts storage, a spare engine, two stacks of wheels along with my wife's gardening equipment and supplies.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Not a lot of work at all. Takes just a minute to install the straps and hoist into position. Sure beats getting a hernia or surgery to repair ruptured discs! Laying out the wheels is not an option since space is at a premium in our 2,000 sq. ft. garage. It houses seven cars, a workshop, racks and shelving for parts storage, a spare engine, two stacks of wheels along with my wife's gardening equipment and supplies.
well then we need to see wide angle pics, videos, we all want to revel in your garage ;-)

nice wheel lift by the way !!!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Nah, it's a working garage. No colorful Race Deck flooring, just concrete with grease spots, cluttered workbench, boxes of junk and spare parts, jacks, a bunch of jack stands, tools, engine stands, cherry picker, etc. Clean but not sanitary. There's an old adage that goes something like this: "An empty space gets filled" and this garage is living proof .
Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice solution!

I have a tiny, 400 sf garage and would be thrilled to have half of your space.

Quick Reply: Save Your Back When Stacking Wheels & Tires