Macan 2014-Current

Race chip vs Cobb

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 04:49 PM
djrez4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Update Racechip GTS Black: last week, out of nowhere while driving normal, a CEL illuminated. Racechip was in "Sport" mode. Changing modes (OFF, EFF, SPORT, RACE), recycling the vehicle, etc... did nothing to change the CEL. Pulled the Racechip, went to Porsche. They fixed the CEL citing a throttle sensor (yes, I paid for the service). I haven't reinstalled since and no CELs.

Just today started the troubleshooting with Racechip. Once I get a stable install, I'll update.
Bummer. I've been on Cobb OTS Stage 1 at 7700' ASL (up the hill from Morrison) for the last few weeks with no issues. Everything from normal driving to spirited canyon runs to full throttle launches. Where'd you service it?
The following users liked this post:
ImpliedConsent (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:30 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

There are a few RaceChip threads on the "other" Macan forum. One item I remember reading was
not to exceed the 6 setting. People have experienced the CEL getting illuminated when moving up
to 7 or higher.

I believe they've cleared the CEL with a their own diagnostic tool(s).

Anyhow, FYI... Maybe you had the setting too high and it triggered the CEL?

There's also an issue with moving the key far away from the car and waiting 10 minutes before installing
or removing the RaceChip unit. Did you religiously follow that procedure?

ImpliedConsent (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 11:13 AM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Anyhow, FYI... Maybe you had the setting too high and it triggered the CEL? There's also an issue with moving the key far away from the car and waiting 10 minutes before installing or removing the RaceChip unit. Did you religiously follow that procedure?
I didn't get into the "fine-tune" settings (0-7). I just used the default "ECO, SPORT, RACE" on the app. I was in Sport, not even goofing around. Yep, I saw and read that the key(s) need to be far away from the car during install. I did that (felt silly, but still).
Well, if Racechip can't fix it, I'll sell it cheap and do it right with Cobb Tuning. I bought into Racechip's "About" (German company, works close with all the biggies in Germany). I was hoping all the bugs had been worked out by now, being a piggyback system.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM
surfer1313
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. Do you have the new DME update from Porsche? It seems to be causing Cobb some issues as well.

And yes I know Cobb overwrites the ECU unlike the Race Chip. I was just wondering if Porsche is putting in some new code to block tuners and piggybacks.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer1313
Just curious. Do you have the new DME update from Porsche? It seems to be causing Cobb some issues as well.

And yes I know Cobb overwrites the ECU unlike the Race Chip. I was just wondering if Porsche is putting in some new code to block tuners and piggybacks.
I worked with Cobb directly after the DME update and they created a fix. My car is a 2018 S model.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:57 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

"I worked with Cobb directly after the DME update and they created a fix. My car is a 2018 S model."

Can you expand on this? I recently got a used Cobb and have a CPO '18 Macan S so should I ask Cobb for an update before I install it?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
"I worked with Cobb directly after the DME update and they created a fix. My car is a 2018 S model."

Can you expand on this? I recently got a used Cobb and have a CPO '18 Macan S so should I ask Cobb for an update before I install it?
If you have had the DME upgrade of the software done you need to go to Cobb and get a discourse going. They will send you a modified program that you need to install on your computer and then download to your Access Port. Then you have to install this on your car.
ChrisFL (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:39 AM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer1313
The latest for the Macan as of March 2020. Not sure if it's the latest to date.

Got word back from Racechip, they sent an update to my app, which in turn, updates the GTS Black. I'll install this upcoming weekend and test. They said their unit was sending a throttle signal too quickly, causing the CEL. The update should fix it.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 PM
djrez4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL

My AccessPort wouldn't communicate with my 2015 S. I had asked the dealer to take care of the DME reflash before they shipped the car to me. Problem was solved by checking the box that allowed beta updates of the AccessManager software and AccessPort maps.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks everyone. Talked with someone at Cobb and it was real easy to do. Plugged the Accessport to my desktop, downloaded the manager from their website and then just hit the update button.

They said the updates are finalized and not in beta testing anymore. All updates for the Macan are on there now.

Quick Reply: Race chip vs Cobb