Macan 2014-Current

Winter tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
All, the only AutoSock discussion I found was several years old on the Cayenne and other 911 Forums. Given that this thread deals with winter tires, it seems a good place to talk about AutoSocks without starting an entirely new Topic thread. In our Macan S owner's manual its says to put chains on the rears only. Autosocks https://autosock.us/ are not really chains. They are a fabric tire wrap sock. We will be doing high altitude driving over Christmas and snow is always a possibility; want to be prepared. At first I ordered two pair for fronts and rears, but cancelled the fronts after reading the manual. I'm having second thoughts. How do you steer without front traction? Our car has its factory OE Michelin Latitudes with 23000 miles on them. Does anyone have experience to share? Can/should we put them on all 4 wheels? or not? Thanks in advance for your help.
If I were you, I would buy four winter tires. The Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires are a fantastic choice. I drove my wife's Cayenne from Dallas to Telluride during a massive snow storm in December, 2015, and I was shocked as to how well it tackled deep snow, and ice. Each winter, I spend a few weeks in Telluride. Nothing beats a set of winter tires when tackling high mountain passes covered in snow, and ice.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good advice, for sure. Our son who lives in VA but drives to upstate NY has those Pirellis on his X6M winter tire set. Got him through 12" of back roads snow last winter. But we live in SoCal and are only driving to Reno for a stay of a few days. Chance of snow on both the I-80 and 395 routes is just that - only a chance...hence my interest in a temporary solution.

Quick Reply: Winter tire recommendations