Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne v. Macan blog post

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cayenne v. Macan blog post

I've finally gotten around to putting my thoughts into words on my blog. Let me know your thoughts!

TCOR: Cayenne v. Macan
Old 09-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks...confirms our recent decision to get a Macan S over a Cayenne.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,265 Posts

Well written comparison and probably spot-on in the U part of SUV, though I don't think a base 955 Cayenne is a proper comparison to anything but a base Macan. The base Cayenne of that year weight probably 50% more (if not more) is at a decent power to weight disadvantage compared to an S model Macan as well as suspension tuning, tire sizes, brake sizes as all those things relate to the driving dynamics like acceleration & handling.

The conclusion is probably correct as well. We need the Cayenne size (have an 09 Turbo S) as it's our family trip vehicle, but are actually looking into adding a Macan (GTS or Turbo) to be my wife's DD to run the kids around (school, dance, soccer, tumbling, golf, etc). They've now outgrown the 997 she had been using as her DD, but we won't get rid of it, it will just be her fun car. Biggest problem is that I'm out of garage space, but plan to remedy that in the next couple years as we've just purchased the property next door with the intent to add a 6 car garage/shop man-cave.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:07 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Well written comparison and probably spot-on in the U part of SUV, though I don't think a base 955 Cayenne is a proper comparison to anything but a base Macan. The base Cayenne of that year weight probably 50% more (if not more) is at a decent power to weight disadvantage compared to an S model Macan as well as suspension tuning, tire sizes, brake sizes as all those things relate to the driving dynamics like acceleration & handling.

The conclusion is probably correct as well. We need the Cayenne size (have an 09 Turbo S) as it's our family trip vehicle, but are actually looking into adding a Macan (GTS or Turbo) to be my wife's DD to run the kids around (school, dance, soccer, tumbling, golf, etc). They've now outgrown the 997 she had been using as her DD, but we won't get rid of it, it will just be her fun car. Biggest problem is that I'm out of garage space, but plan to remedy that in the next couple years as we've just purchased the property next door with the intent to add a 6 car garage/shop man-cave.
Thanks. The comparison is between a Macan S and a second gen Cayenne, or 958. Funny thing is, the just remodeled 'base' Cayenne is now almost $10k more than the Macan S. The 2017s were much closer in base price.

A 911 in the garage is always the best solution.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:23 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I just had a 2017 Cayenne S loaner while my Macan GTS was getting some warranty items taken care of. The Cayenne is a fine car no doubt, but I much preferred the size and driving dynamics of the Macan. It felt much more 'car' like and nimble. The Cayenne felt a little slower even though they are probably as quick as each other. The new twin turbo V6 in the Cayenne S was the 3.6L unit and I wonder if it's the same motor as the Macan Turbo. In the Cayenne it put out 420hp. My loaner didn't have the sports exhaust and the car sounded a bit boring to be honest.

All in all, a fine car but per your blog, if you don't need the space, Macan all the way
Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm hoping that the new Cayenne is a lot more of a handler than the outgoing one. I had a 2017 loaner that reminded me more of my old Yukon than my Macan Turbo. That said, I'd still opt for the Cayenne if we didn't already have a BMW X5. The Macan is just too small for road trips (more likely - we need to learn what to pack) and Home Depot runs. I can't imagine going back to a Yukon or, even worse, plodding around in a pickup truck.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Groov1r
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good article and a very interesting point of view. I always loved Cayenne, but Macan is good as well. We can say that both are looking the same and this is the same care but with different size. Besides that, we can say that Cayenne is for family and comfort, it is bigger and higher. Macan is for young people, it is smaller and faster. So these two are the same and at the same time they are for different segments of consumers. I also created a blog hosted by Fortunelords website, where I am going to post information about my 850hp 911.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959
I'm hoping that the new Cayenne is a lot more of a handler than the outgoing one. I had a 2017 loaner that reminded me more of my old Yukon than my Macan Turbo. That said, I'd still opt for the Cayenne if we didn't already have a BMW X5. The Macan is just too small for road trips (more likely - we need to learn what to pack) and Home Depot runs. I can't imagine going back to a Yukon or, even worse, plodding around in a pickup truck.
There's a new plodder in town - 700 HP Hellcat motor

We have a BMW X5 (daughter's) and a Cayenne Turbo, and there's no comparison between the 2 vehicles. For anyone interested in performance, the Cayenne drives better, rides rides, better, has more storage, a nicer interior, etc. I'd replace the X5 with a Cayenne. Get a GTS or Turbo that has PDCC and you'll be quite impressed with what a vehicle in that class can do.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:32 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Cayenne eHybrid, then a Base Macan and now a Macan GTS on order. Loved them all but hands-down, for me the answer is Macan.

1. 90% of driving is me solo, 7.5% is with 1 other passenger and less than 2.5% is with someone in the back seat--so the Macan is the right size
2. The Macan is more nimble, tight and lithe. I will not say it is '911- like' or 'Boxster-like' but it is very impressive. I would describe as a 'big boy' version of one of my favorite cars ever- my Golf GTI.

Funny thing about size. When my Cayenne was in for service, I was given a Macan loaner. I thought it was way too tight/small for me. After I sold the Cayenne (to go back to Tesla for a bit), I lost a good deal of weight (well over 100 pounds). When I went to get another Porsche after that, I looked at both the Cayenne and the Macan. The Cayenne felt WAY too big for me and the Macan fit me like a well oiled glove. For me, it feels like the perfect vehicle. Hence----I drove the Base for 2 years and doubled-down on my 2021 GTS order- Chalk with Garnet interior.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:41 PM
Emrys
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I drew a similar conclusion this spring and ended up with a Macan over a Cayenne. We were looking for more utility than my wife's Honda coupe, but ultimately didn't need as much space as the Cayenne. The Macan has become our primary family hauler and we haven't had any issues with the size as of yet, but on a road trip it does fill up quickly.

If I had to go bigger I would probably look at the Panamera Sport Turismo over the Cayenne.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Emrys
My wife and I drew a similar conclusion this spring and ended up with a Macan over a Cayenne. We were looking for more utility than my wife's Honda coupe, but ultimately didn't need as much space as the Cayenne. The Macan has become our primary family hauler and we haven't had any issues with the size as of yet, but on a road trip it does fill up quickly.

If I had to go bigger I would probably look at the Panamera Sport Turismo over the Cayenne.
In a recent comparison review between the Macan and the Cayenne Coupe I was surprised to see that the difference in the amount of available space (with rear seats folded) was about the same - less than one cubic foot difference.
The regular Cayenne does offer an additional 7.4 cubic feet of space (60.3) compared to the Macan (52.9), but that's a difference of only 14%.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The usable space In a Cayenne got reduced significantly starting with the 958 generation in 2011 when the shape of the rear hatch changed, especially if trying to transport larger pets. That's also when the separately opening rear window went away which is very helpful in fukky loading the car without a bunch of stuff falling out as you open the full hatch. It's 2 of the major reasons why I bought an 09, even though I didn't buy mine until 2016.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Emrys

We ordered our 19 Macan with the roof rails. We haven't had a need to order the transport system/storage box, but a good option if you have the roof rails.

Quick Reply: Cayenne v. Macan blog post