Notices
Macan 2014-Current

OEM Macan tow hitch vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

You have to remove the bumper cover and the original energy absorber to install the hitch. Most people who do it themselves have said it isn't difficult, just tedious to make sure you don't break anything. There have been a few posts about it here and also on macanforum.

Here is a thread about the stealth hitch (includes some install pics): https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-reviews.html
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

There's a different bumper cover for the hitch option. Without it, it'd look like crap, since it also includes the cutouts for the exhaust tips, plus it hides all the crap behind it. What I'm surprised is my hitch has a cap with 4 screws over the electrical plug, meaning if you remove it, there's no cap, and it'd be exposed to the elements. There's also no 7-to-4 pin adapter. Looked in the trunk, and nothing. Need to find out if Porsche did that on purpose, or my car had a proper cap with spring and an adapter missing. Every single vehicle I've bought with hitch has had a sprung cap (that can be lifted to expose the connector), and an adapter. Or 2 connectors, like my F-150 Platinum. Maybe somebody also with the factory hitch can chime in and set the record straight. Needing tools every time you need to connect a trailer would suck. And also not having an adapter, but at least that can be solved by buying one. Hope there's a cap that can be installed instead of that cap on our cars. Thx.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

There's a different bumper cover but it's not hard to take a dremel and cut out the part needed. A lot of owners have done it without issues (see the thread I linked about the stealth hitch). Suncoast parts has a couple trailer adapters listed so maybe that's what you are looking for.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU955TPLUG.html
7-Pin Connector with opening/closing flap.

If you just purchased your Cayenne or Macan, or if you just added the Cayenne Trailer Package, you will need to add this piece. If you look under the rear bumper, this piece mounts near the trailer hitch. So check your car to see if this piece is already installed. If it's not, you will see a blank black plastic cap with four securing screws in each corner.

This piece will replace that blank cap, and the harness behind the cap will plug into this new trailer plug mount. Once this piece is installed, then you will need an adapter plug to change this 7-pin style to the correct plug connection for your trailer. See the related items below.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

You need this part here. Unscrew the four screws and plug this in. No idea why it doesn't come like this from the factory as many other vehicles with hitches do.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU955TPLUG.html

Then you just need a 7-way to 4-way plug.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/TRADX.html

Originally Posted by elp_jc
There's a different bumper cover for the hitch option. Without it, it'd look like crap, since it also includes the cutouts for the exhaust tips, plus it hides all the crap behind it. What I'm surprised is my hitch has a cap with 4 screws over the electrical plug, meaning if you remove it, there's no cap, and it'd be exposed to the elements. There's also no 7-to-4 pin adapter. Looked in the trunk, and nothing. Need to find out if Porsche did that on purpose, or my car had a proper cap with spring and an adapter missing. Every single vehicle I've bought with hitch has had a sprung cap (that can be lifted to expose the connector), and an adapter. Or 2 connectors, like my F-150 Platinum. Maybe somebody also with the factory hitch can chime in and set the record straight. Needing tools every time you need to connect a trailer would suck. And also not having an adapter, but at least that can be solved by buying one. Hope there's a cap that can be installed instead of that cap on our cars. Thx.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:21 AM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to dig up old threads, but I'm considering purchase of a 2015 Macan Turbo, and I would need to add a hitch. Currently have a 2011 Cayenne S with a Curt add-on hitch. With the Cayenne OEM hitch there is a control module that communicates with the computers to disable certain functions when a trailer is attached, like the rear parking sensors, LCA, and I think maybe something with the suspension and even transmission shifts, etc. This is also true on my Mercedes GL550 which has the OEM tow package. My Cayenne has no air suspension, no LCA, and I just turn off the parking sensors when backing a trailer, so the aftermarket Curt that came on it is no problem for me. Is there no computer integration / module for towing in Macan? If that's the case, I think I'd prefer the hidden Stealth Hitch.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:38 PM
banksc01
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a module in the Macan if you get the hitch when you order the car. I added all the OEM wiring/module with the Stealth Hitch, along with the required programming at the dealer. I don't think a lot care about the added integration the module brings, based on my research prior to buying the Stealth.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:02 PM
flyau98
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
There's a different bumper cover but it's not hard to take a dremel and cut out the part needed. A lot of owners have done it without issues (see the thread I linked about the stealth hitch).
I installed a factory hitch on a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - similar deal. The hitch replaced most of the metal bumper that sits behind the bumper cover. I had to dremel out a good bit of the bumper cover. It was nerve-wracking for sure, but now looking at it, you'd never know it wasn't factory installed.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:33 AM
jonUF02
Instructor

Originally Posted by banksc01
There is a module in the Macan if you get the hitch when you order the car. I added all the OEM wiring/module with the Stealth Hitch, along with the required programming at the dealer. I don't think a lot care about the added integration the module brings, based on my research prior to buying the Stealth.
I see Stealth Hitch sells an "active" harness, nothing about a module. I have Launch X431 computer, so I'm pretty sure I could code in an option for trailer hitch, just unclear as to whether an additional piece of hardware module is required.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't see it mentioned but if people are towing with the Macan...anything bigger than a lawnmower or dirt bike trailer, one really needs to get a transmission temperature gauge installed. Our transmission is sensitive to heat and most vehicles that tow can monitor their trans temp.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:51 AM
jonUF02
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olddragger
I don't see it mentioned but if people are towing with the Macan...anything bigger than a lawnmower or dirt bike trailer, one really needs to get a transmission temperature gauge installed. Our transmission is sensitive to heat and most vehicles that tow can monitor their trans temp.
Towing capacity is stated as 4400lbs. I would need it to tow a double jet ski set up, which is roughly 2000lbs with aluminum trailer. I don't think this should be a problem. I towed them for many years with my Nissan Murano FWD V6 without issues owning that car from new to 127K miles and the CVT trans is known for problems.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

The Nissan did not have a PDK transmission. It is a different beast entirely. You can get parts for the Nissan at auto parts stores everywhere. Not so for the Macan. If you are under warrenty then that's great...no problem. If you are not then a simple gauge will be good insurance. Our transmission basically is a dl501 from Audi/VW. The Audi guys have been dealing with heat related issues in this transmission mechatronic unit for years. You do not want transmission problems in the Macan if you are not under warrenty.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:07 PM
banksc01
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonUF02
I see Stealth Hitch sells an "active" harness, nothing about a module. I have Launch X431 computer, so I'm pretty sure I could code in an option for trailer hitch, just unclear as to whether an additional piece of hardware module is required.
The 'active' part is the module. The hitch comes with the module and the factory wiring if you go with the 'active' setup.
You will not be able to code with the Launch, from my understanding. Much like if you add Sport Plus, the dealer needs to phone back to the mothership to implement. This is adding a feature, not changing a setting on an already present module.

Last edited by banksc01; 05-17-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:07 PM
banksc01
Advanced

Originally Posted by Olddragger
Yawn...
Old 05-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Sorry to bore you banks. Guess I have nothing to offer, so I am out.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:08 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 129 Posts

I installed a Stealth Hitch on my 2017 Macan GTS back in 2018. It was great, and was able to tow my son's motorcycle from Houston to Austin and back. Everyone was staring at the Macan with the bike on the back.

The best part: with the air suspension it was ridiculously easy to load and unload the bike!

Name:  photo752.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  1,005.0 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by alex_c:
DSC48 (05-22-2022), quallzone (05-19-2024), supercup (05-22-2022)

Quick Reply: OEM Macan tow hitch vs aftermarket