Misfire issue, about to go crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:31 PM
canberk
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Misfire issue, about to go crazy

Hello friends,

I've been getting engine misfire issues lately on my Macan 2.0L (252hp version) for the past 2 months when I push the engine too hard to 6000+rpm on 3rd or 4th gear. Engine tries to rev up and up, I can see the RPM fluctuating up and down for about 5 seconds and then I get the CEL flashing and the engine fault. When I scan it with COBB's AP, I see misfire codes (P0300, P0302,P0303 etc.). Car only has 38000km on it (rougly 23k miles).

I thought it was due to faulty spark plugs or coil packs therefore I replaced the plugs and the coils with brand new ones but it did not fix my issue. I also installed a high flow air filter from Alpha, which also did not solve the issue.

I took out the tune and reflashed the factory map, it fixed the issue but I've been running this mod for at least 8 months, it started happening 2 months ago and I am the only one suffering from this issue among all the COBB tune users. I don't want to just go back to factory settings just because the car is happy that way.

I have attached the datalog for the incident, please try to see what is going on. I got the issue on the 4th gear, towards the end of the RPM range. Thanks for all your support in advance!

I have COBB OTS tune for 91 octane by the way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiw64b1shc...alog.xlsx?dl=0
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
misfire_datalog.xlsx (548.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 843 Likes on 515 Posts

Which coil packs did you replace with? I don't know which revision of the VW/Audi 2.0 that Porsche is using, but I had the same issues with my 2011 GTI and I replaced it with the then Audi R8 red top coil packs and it resolved the misfires. Your best bet may be to see what the A3 and GTI guys are upgrading their coil packs to.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,417 Likes on 4,090 Posts

Did the issue start before or after the air filter replacement. Is it an oiled or dry filter. When you look up those misfire codes, which cylinders do the correspond to and in the Macan are those all on the same cylinder bank or on both banks. If on both banks, we need more ideas, but if on the same bank, likely a vacuum leak on that side, or a can Position (hall) sensor on that side. Does your Macan have a single MAF or one for each side. I'd one for each bank, add that to the list as well, especially if the air filter you installed is an oiled version. They come over saturated when new and you should stuff them with paper towels and wrap a couple layers around the outside overnight to absorb the excess or it can damage the MAF.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:47 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Did the issue start before or after the air filter replacement. Is it an oiled or dry filter. When you look up those misfire codes, which cylinders do the correspond to and in the Macan are those all on the same cylinder bank or on both banks. If on both banks, we need more ideas, but if on the same bank, likely a vacuum leak on that side, or a can Position (hall) sensor on that side. Does your Macan have a single MAF or one for each side. I'd one for each bank, add that to the list as well, especially if the air filter you installed is an oiled version. They come over saturated when new and you should stuff them with paper towels and wrap a couple layers around the outside overnight to absorb the excess or it can damage the MAF.
I think he has a base four cylinder engine, no? Wouldn't that be a straight 4? What is the configuration of the base engine?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,417 Likes on 4,090 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
I think he has a base four cylinder engine, no? Wouldn't that be a straight 4? What is the configuration of the base engine?
Yes, you're correct. The 2.0 base motor is an inline 4. I'm not too familiar with the Macan yet or the base models of most Porsches.

Quick Reply: Misfire issue, about to go crazy