Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Help with Options on Macan GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018 | 03:24 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Default Help with Options on Macan GTS

So, I've been toying with the idea of a Macan GTS for a while now. I make myself dizzy every time I mess with the configurator, but I think I've finally come up with a decent build. My sales rep said he would get Torque Vectoring. I'm not familiar with it so I would love some feedback. Does it make sense on a Macan? How about Sports Chrono (not currently added)? Anything I'm missing? Anything I've added that doesn't make sense? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2018 | 04:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Add sports chrono. Also add park assist. Did not order ptv. For my utilitarian uses didn't think it's was necessary. Is connect plus Apple play a must have? Clicked on voice control when specced but nope don't have it. If u go that route make sure they clicked voice command. Mike
Old 04-22-2018 | 07:28 PM
Andial
Banned

Don't Add: SC, PTV
Remove: Leather Interior, Smoking Package, PCM
Old 04-23-2018 | 09:39 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep SC: it adds the “Sport+” suspension mode that works well with air suspension.
Keep PTV: Why would you want a Porsche without limited slip differential? If you know what it does keep it. If not ditch it.
Smoking package: adds a 12v outlet and a cover over what is otherwise an open cubby. Your call.
Old 04-23-2018 | 11:37 AM
BradB
Drifting

I did extensive test driving of PTV and non-PTV equipped Macan GTS’s. I got it for my GTS (And my Carrera S) and would definitely get it again. PTV maximizes the “Porsche-ness” of your GTS. And after spending all this money on one, why would you want to sacrifice part of what makes it special? Get it!

PTV is not just something that is useful on the race track. Remember that the GTS is a large, heavy SUV. PTV turns the Macan easier and more precisely in many everyday situations. Highway cloverleafs and twisty backroads for sure. But also a myriad of more common situations you run into everyday. Braking and turning quickly into a driveway or parking lot. A quick turn at an intersection, and so on. The difference can be amazing and it doesn’t take a super-sensitive experienced chassis designer to feel the difference. In back to back test drives around our community my wife was easily sold on PTV.

My thoughts on other options you chose:
-Get the smoking package. It opens up more options for charging accessories.
-Consider skipping the full leather interior. I understand the allure of contrasting stitching, though, that’s why I got a red interior that came with contrasting stitching and only cost a few hundred bucks. One of the best values available. Also, I really like the ventilated seats and you can’t get that with the Alcantara. You will really like the ventilated seats, especially in such a “luxury” vehicle. Also, I find that the Alcantara is great for sports cars where you want to be glued to the seat and not slide around, but in the Macan the “sticking to your seat” thing can be a real detriment. On longer drives it’s not as easy to move and scootch around in your seat. It becomes uncomfortable. And it’s a little bit harder to get into for some, since you can’t slide your butt up on the seat and slide in as easily. Plus the Alcantara can be a bit warm after a while. Good in winter but not always something you want. These things didn’t become apparent to me until I spent a week test driving these options.
-Get the Cargo Management System. A great value on a really well designed system. One of the best, and most often missed, options.
-Even though I am a real driving enthusiast, I didn’t get Sport Chrono. It’s not something you will realistically use much on the street. (Even in my Carrera S I only use SC on the track. Never on the street.) A lot of people only get it because it has launch control which, IMO, is a party trick you will use twice and never use again. And for me, I have never felt a real need to go to the S+ suspension mode. That said, I knew SC is something that you can retrofit easily and at no extra cost over getting it from the factory. It’s just a button and a software update. But after a year with my GTS I don’t miss it at all. So you have options here if you change your mind later.
-I skipped the Nav and just went with CarPlay. Couldn’t be happier. CarPlay Nav is SO much better than oem nav.
-I find that the 21” wheels suffer a little in ride quality but that wouldn’t be a deal killer. That style wheel is much easier to clean than the standard GTS wheel, though. Keep in mind you will get summer-only tires, I believe. That may not be an issue in your region. I went with the black GTS wheel because it just “says GTS” to me. No regrets.

Good luck with with your ordering and delivery process. You will LOVE the GTS no matter what you spec. Enjoy.
Old 04-23-2018 | 01:25 PM
blotto
1st Gear

Talking

I've had my MY18 GTS for about 2 months now... really enjoying it so far.

I also went with Volcano Grey + Black Interior. Consider adding Garnet Red seat belts, I did and it looks very sharp.

- I'd remove the leather package, but that's just a personal preference.
- I also got PP+, LED, PTV+, Smoking Pkg, LCA, each of them are well worth it.
- Didn't get ACC, but have been on a few 3-4hr highway trips where it would have been worth it... that being said, most of the time I was too busy passing others on the highway to really use ACC!
- I really like the 20in black spyder rims that come w/ the GTS. They're exclusive to the GTS, and 20" is quite a nice sweet spot in ride comfort.
- In Canada, Navigation is included, but I find I don't use it very often at all.
- I regret not getting ventilated seats
- I regret not getting cargo management, though I don't think I'd use it that often, but it's so cheap why not

Old 04-23-2018 | 04:07 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

I'll chime in with my thoughts:

Your build already includes PTV+ (worth it, imho) so you really should include the Sport Chrono package if you're leaning towards a sportier build. Everyone points out launch control, but SC includes changes to the PSM programming that you'll enjoy more often than you will just blasting off the line. Also, get the cargo management option -- it's cheap but really useful and I wish I had it on mine. I skipped Adaptive Cruise Control because I just enjoy driving and I almost never use even regular, old cruise control -- I bought a Porsche to drive it, not sit back while a computer chauffeured me around. Of course this is your call. You can probably also drop the nav module as your phone or ipad can handle this task better than the factory system. Nav was included with a package that had other bits I wanted but I never really use it.

Also keep the Smoking Package, it just makes the interior feel more polished and it costs nothing. The installer who put my 9500ci in mine fabbed a little tray for the control module that hides under the cover in the center console. If you didn't know better you'd never know it was there.

The rest comes down to taste -- you've got a black interior but are including the black aluminum package. Maybe include some brighter accents? Contrast makes things interesting, but that's up to you of course. If you like the alcantara interior, by all means stick with it even though you can't get seat cooling with it. I spent 5 years in Atlanta for work and seat heating was much more important than cooling.
Old 04-23-2018 | 05:31 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Yes, get PTV+. Bless your SA for actually recommending it! Here's my build: Prem. Pkg +, PTV+, Steering Wheel Heating, Cargo Mgmt, Seat Vent, Sport Mirrors, LCA, ParkAssist w/Surround View, LED/PDLS, Smoking pkg, Connect, 18-way seats, Sport Chrono.
I still haven't used launch control and rarely use Sport Plus because it is a bit much for the street. If you are on a tight budget, you can probably live without that the most. But to me, it completes a Porsche. The Sport Mirrors are usually skipped due to the misconception that they cannot be folded automatically which is absolutely false. Cargo Management is ignored as because few know what it is. There's a lot that comes with kit that only costs $300.

The one option I regret getting is Connect because I'm an Android user. You need Connect to have CarPlay and I'm holding out hopes for Android Auto eventually. Nav does not give you CarPlay. You also get a host of online app features that are free for the first 12 months but then have various subscription model fees. If you are an Apple user, then it's a no brainer to drop nav and just get Connect. Our other car is an Audi with nav and Google maps but we never use it because the phone interface is so much better.

My opinion on ACC is that I also pretty much never use regular cruise control. Even though I do a lot of traffic driving, I'm not a fan of just letting the car take over. It's a personal preference. As for wheel choice, as much as I like the looks of the Sport Classics and being much easier to clean, I'm not a fan of more expensive tires in the future, slightly harsher ride, the impression they give me of an even more lifted vehicle, and the summer tire only limitation. The black Spyder wheels are GTS exclusive and look good but they are a royal pain to clean.

Some notes about the tow hitch and contrasting stitching. Don't get the leather package if you are after the contrasting stitch as the leather dash and contrasting stitching on the dash is standard with the basic leather. The upgraded leather package adds the stitching to the top of the door cards. On a black interior with black leather, you likely won't notice the extra leather. The factory tow hitch is pretty cheap, but it removes the GTS rear lower valence. There are stealth hitch options available aftermarket that may cost a little more to install later but I think they are a lot better looking.

Last edited by rasetsu; 04-23-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2018 | 05:55 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by rasetsu
. The factory tow hitch is pretty cheap, but it removes the GTS rear lower valence. There are stealth hitch options available aftermarket that may cost a little more to install later but I think they are a lot better looking.
The valence has a different shape around the center of the hitch, but it isn’t removed.

Old 04-23-2018 | 06:03 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BradB
The valence has a different shape around the center of the hitch, but it isn’t removed.
Right, I should have been more clear. My understanding is that the valence on the GTS is part of the GTS design package and unique to the GTS and Turbo PP with design package but if you order the factory tow hitch, you get the standard rear valence with a cut out for the receiver square that always sticks out.
Old 04-23-2018 | 10:08 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by blotto
I've had my MY18 GTS for about 2 months now... really enjoying it so far.

I also went with Volcano Grey + Black Interior. Consider adding Garnet Red seat belts, I did and it looks very sharp.

- I'd remove the leather package, but that's just a personal preference.
- I also got PP+, LED, PTV+, Smoking Pkg, LCA, each of them are well worth it.
- Didn't get ACC, but have been on a few 3-4hr highway trips where it would have been worth it... that being said, most of the time I was too busy passing others on the highway to really use ACC!
- I really like the 20in black spyder rims that come w/ the GTS. They're exclusive to the GTS, and 20" is quite a nice sweet spot in ride comfort.
- In Canada, Navigation is included, but I find I don't use it very often at all.
- I regret not getting ventilated seats
- I regret not getting cargo management, though I don't think I'd use it that often, but it's so cheap why not

Where is that? Is the blue in the background SBM?
Old 04-23-2018 | 10:18 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Get Sport chrono if you like spirited driving at times. I use regular mode 90%, sport 10%, never use sport+ (more for track)
I optioned to red leather ventilated seats, not full leather, contrasts nicely with interior and volcano grey exterior. As mentioned above, this is an SUV and you have to climb/slide over the generous side bolster to get in unless you are tall.
Easier to use Apple car play or phone for navigation.
Black aluminum accents look great, but show finger smears very easily.
LCA is a good option to get on any car
Don't see the need for ACC - not my driving style
Ride is great with standard wheels/tires. I would be wary of ride quality with lower profile tires, especially if you have the bombed out roads like we have here in the midwest.
Voice control is nice and does work!

This is my favorite all around daily vehicle: handles like a go-cart, great ride quality, fast, quiet, beautiful interior, not one problem at 16K miles, and really makes no major compromises. No regrets.
Old 04-24-2018 | 12:52 AM
KM1959
Racer

My Macan Turbo is loaded with options but my favorites are Burmester, acoustically insulated glass, and heated steering wheel. It's also nice to have deviated stitching on the leather dash and doors. No reason to not pamper yourself, there's not a long line of others willing to do it for me.
Old 04-24-2018 | 10:28 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Wow! Thanks for the awesome feedback. Some fantastic recommendations here. Can't wait to get back in and play with the configuration. I'll let you know what I come up with when I lock it down.
Old 04-24-2018 | 11:38 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Thanks again everyone!
So I think I agree with dropping the leather/ alcantara - saved $5K too! I selected Standard Interior w/ Leather Package and added seat ventilation. I guess I just need to live without deviated stitching. :-(
Switched to aluminum interior trim. May go with carbon fiber.
Kept PTV and added SC - why not!
Not sure why I selected the Nav originally. I use my phone exclusively for navigation. Selected standard CarPlay (not CarPlay Plus).
Think I will keep the Sport Classic wheels for now. Going to swing by the local dealership and compare to the Spyders. No heavy winter driving here in Atl so tires should be fine.
Added smoking and cargo mgmt.
May drop them, but going with LCA and ACC for now - both are great on road trips.

Last edited by Lodi; 04-24-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Pasted wrong image.

Quick Reply: Help with Options on Macan GTS