Macan 2014-Current

Thoughts on Cobb or GIAC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Ok, it's been a few more weeks and here are my thoughts.

1: My car hasn't blown up. Always a good thing and a worry for modifying an expensive item.

2: Lay into the throttle, and the car takes off like a scalded cat. There's a slightly longer than normal hesitation as the car figures out just how to satisfy your need for speed, though. The factory programming felt better at noticing an unexpected need to accelerate (say, switching lanes in a tight traffic situation).

3: The engine and transmission are kinda schizophrenic. The engine wants to burn gas and make power. The transmission wants to stay in a high gear and be fuel efficient. The normal factory tune strikes a better balance between these two. It really should kick down a gear or two rather than just trying to power through being on the downside of the torque curve. Mostly noticeable when you're only pushing <70% throttle or so. Probably related to what I noted above.

4: Gas mileage. Yeah lost a little, but that wasn't unexpected. Mashing the gas is so much fun I don't care. It's not that bad when I get a chance to cruise at highway speeds, but that's rare for my commutes.

I'm not unhappy with the changes; they're all things I can adapt to. A little tweaking on the PDK side of things would be welcome, though.
Your review is spot on with my experience, especially points 2 and 3. Overall certainly not unhappy with it, but Cobb can work out some kinks. Such as:

1. It can get a little jumpy off a full stop even with just a light tap of the pedal
2. In cases where there is a quick change in throttle application (e.g. from cruising to quick acceleration), it is very jerky, in fact almost feels the car sputters as it is trying to figure out what just hit it.
3. And somewhat related to that and per your pt. 3 above the engine and tranny do not seem to be in sync and operating in harmony. This is my biggest gripe by far.

Cobb has released updates for the 911 PDK, when you call them they consider the Macan tranny a reworked Audi DCT and stated likely software revisions are not in the works. Don't get me wrong, best tranny on a cross-over, but making it work in closer harmony (and a tad faster) with the engine + eliminating the low end jurk upon trottle application would make the offering 10 out of 10. As of now, it's an 7.5 IMO
Old 02-01-2018, 01:13 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Your review is spot on with my experience, especially points 2 and 3. Overall certainly not unhappy with it, but Cobb can work out some kinks. Such as:

1. It can get a little jumpy off a full stop even with just a light tap of the pedal
I haven't seen this, but I suspect it's just a matter of driving style. Or I don't mind it enough to notice.
2. In cases where there is a quick change in throttle application (e.g. from cruising to quick acceleration), it is very jerky, in fact almost feels the car sputters as it is trying to figure out what just hit it.
I think we're probably using different language to describe the same thing. I'd call it "lag" -- the car takes a little extra time to figure out what you want from it before doing anything whereas the factory software makes a quick estimation, implements it, and does the proper processing afterwards. Most of the time it guesses right so you don't notice it gets it wrong sometimes.
3. And somewhat related to that and per your pt. 3 above the engine and tranny do not seem to be in sync and operating in harmony. This is my biggest gripe by far.

Cobb has released updates for the 911 PDK, when you call them they consider the Macan tranny a reworked Audi DCT and stated likely software revisions are not in the works. Don't get me wrong, best tranny on a cross-over, but making it work in closer harmony (and a tad faster) with the engine + eliminating the low end jurk upon trottle application would make the offering 10 out of 10. As of now, it's an 7.5 IMO
I haven't spoken to them directly, so my comments here may be very off-base, but that seems quite short-sighted. Porsche is selling 50,000+ of these things a year. There are a lot more opportunities to sell Accesspoints to these owners than to 911 owners even if the unit price may not be as high. I'm not privy to their thinking on the matter, but dismissing the transmission as a "reworked Audi DCT" seems like laziness if true.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the review, Chris. Cobb would do well to address these issues. I'd rather have less power and a smoother experience than the opposite. Won't be spending my money on a Cobb, at least until they perfect the software.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:00 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 906 Likes on 556 Posts

Big plus for Cobb is that it's nearly fully reversible.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 PM
ogie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm thinking of getting cobb for S and reading this thread make me double check.

my main concern is, can you set cobb to be in stock map in normal mode, and map 6 or 7 on sport and sport +

I basically want slow normal driving characteristics under non-sport mode and kick in sport mode when i really want to hear the engine.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. We always appreciate hearing how our product does in real-world applications. If you update your Accessport to BETA firmware via Accessport Manager (just head over to the "OPTIONS" tab and click on the box for BETA updates) you will have access to the V203 maps. We have relieved some of the boost and throttling at low RPM to get rid of the "jerkiness" that same drivers are experiencing. Go ahead and download BETA and reflash your car if you'd like to give it a try!

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 02-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. We always appreciate hearing how our product does in real-world applications. If you update your Accessport to BETA firmware via Accessport Manager (just head over to the "OPTIONS" tab and click on the box for BETA updates) you will have access to the V203 maps. We have relieved some of the boost and throttling at low RPM to get rid of the "jerkiness" that same drivers are experiencing. Go ahead and download BETA and reflash your car if you'd like to give it a try!

-Charles
Thanks Charles - eager to download the Beta version and try it out. Great to hear you have worked on improving the car's character as far as low RPM and sudden throttle/boost drive-ability.

Any news on updating the PDK software? I know you offer that on the 911 and Cayman platforms. Last time I spoke to one of your reps he made the claim the tranny in the Macan is essentially a re-branded Audi DSG and not a 'true PDK' (in fact he made reference that the Macan does not have the "PDK" insignia on the gear lever as other Porsche with PDKs do for that very reason...) Would be terrific if you incorporate in your offerings. Staying hopeful and tuned to such updates.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cobb no brainer.

Make sure you have a full battery charger (not tender) running 10+ amps when you run it the first time.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Charles,

I updated my Accessport to the latest version (v1.7.3.0-15237) but I'm not finding the v203 maps anywhere just the v202 . Both boxes for beta firmware and beta Accessport Manager updates are checked. I can't find them on the cobbtuning.com website either. Where should I be looking for the new map files?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems V203, has been Beta for some time. Is a final on the way ?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

You will need to update only the Accessport firmware to BETA, not Accessport Manager to BETA. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you can't seem to get the map, and I can send it over manually.

There will be new maps released later on when Stage 2 and Stage 3 get finalized as well, so we'll have everything out as a new bundle. I don't have any details or dates as to what this will look like, but it is something coming.

In regards to PDK tuning the Macans, that may be something we explore at a later date when we've done some further R&D with the VAG DSG cars like on the GTI and Golf R.

-Charles
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

We are running the COBB AP on our shop Macan S and the results are amazing. The power delivery is smooth and very linear. This is a must have for all Macan owners.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 AM
CarmineGTS
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

In regard's to upcoming stage 2 and stage 3....
Would stage 3 be bigger turbos? Is this something that you or anyone else is working on?
Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

I installed both Sport + and the Cobb Accessport on my 2018 Macan S last week. The car has less than 500 total miles on it. From a dead stop in Sport + after a little hick up it took off like a scalded cat at full throttle. In normal default mode the car runs much more smoothly than without the Cobb. The additional torque allows the car to run easier when the transmission ups itself into top gear at 35 MPH as it doesn't feel as starved. So my opinion is the Cobb purchase is well worth the expense plus the pain of uninstalling it before trips to the dealer.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It takes less then 2 minutes to uninstall.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Cobb or GIAC?