Notices
Macan 2014-Current

is ptv necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

ive decided to get an audi s5 hatchback sedan instead of macan and the audi has it as option. im getting it since audis are nose heavy with lots understeer and need all help can get to turn.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
levinsje
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last month I test drove a slightly used 2017 Macan GTS and new S5 hatchback.
The S5 was really nice and the fancy lcd dash had lots of wow factor.
However, the GTS was better in every way.
That said it was a more expensive car..
I bought the GTS and it is my favorite daily driver.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

interesting opinion. i actually felt they were similar in feel of steering, power, brakes, ride. i think thats all due to the underlying (unfortunate) architecture of s5 and macan. engine in front of front wheels is a big handicap for both of them. but i feel s5 with much lower c of g will do better on the occasional track day for me. better rear seat room in middle too. also, it is a really pretty car and new enough that its still unique on the road in my neighborhood. imo maybe best looking audi ever (which is little like being tallest midget). and audi big price advantage. cant really go wrong either way both pretty nice.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
ive decided to get an audi s5 hatchback sedan instead of macan and the audi has it as option. im getting it since audis are nose heavy with lots understeer and need all help can get to turn.
PTV is personal preference -- if you drive twisty roads with some passion, it neutralizes the natural understeering tendency dialed into road cars. That said, it's not a magic bullet. The Macan is as nose heavy or worse compared to Audi (or any other manufacturer) sedans and wagons in weight & balance - but then it adds 800+ pounds of mass up high to become an SUV. Porsche has worked hard to deliver impressive performance, but in the end a Macan won't do anything on road that a Golf R can't. Even with PTV. Electronics do not overcome mass.
Update: From Car & Driver Oct 2017 comparison with Audi SQ5 and Merc GLC43 (which was given the win), the Macan S weighed in at 4347 pounds, 56.9% front, 43.1% rear. CG height 24.5 inches. Fuel economy observed on their 700 mile junket: 17 mi/gal. Ouch.

One can forgive a lot of stuff and just claim that feel is more important that objective measures. But being less roomy or useful in cargo hauling than some of the competitors while now losing the first mover advantage the Macan had in sporting credentials three years ago, it will be interesting to see how Porsche responds. Maybe sales are high enough that they don't care. But if Porsche wants the Macan to compete in terms of dynamic performance against the steadily improving competition, they have some key fundamentals that need dramatic attention. If they can't drop several hundred pounds of bloat, at least move if aft and down where it needs to be for best natural handling. Let's hope the next generation Macan addresses these critical numbers instead of just offering more electronic bloat.

Last edited by roule; 12-07-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
...but in the end a Macan won't do anything on road that a Golf R can't. Even with PTV. Electronics do not overcome mass.
I’m a big fan of physics. Math too. And statistcs. Although statistics is a subset of math. Often used by liars and con men. But, I digress. I’m a big fan of physics.

Physics has been very good to me.

But, I’m just going to leave this here:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

I’m a big fan of physics. Math too. And statistcs. Although statistics is a subset of math. Often used by liars and con men. But, I digress. I’m a big fan of physics.

Physics has been very good to me.

But, I’m just going to leave this here: BMW M2 vs Porsche Macan Turbo: odd couple fight it out on track
That's the thing about the Macan. Watch all the reviews and the guy behind the wheel is always grinning and laughing. It might not win every bar-room stat showdown but it sure makes everyone happy to drive it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Drive 2 Macan's, one with it, one without. Guaranteed the one with it will feel more fluid and precise on turn in, and just overall. Then consider if that's worth it for you.

Quick Reply: is ptv necessary?