Macan 2014-Current

is ptv necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:37 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default is ptv necessary?

im considering a macan gts for dd and few hpde per year. is ptv really necessary? im an experienced instructor and will only do moderate level (at most) driving in macan. i know ptv brakes the inside rear wheel to limit understeer and im concerned it will wear out brakes. however, ptv option also includes limited slip diff. But i have a lotus that i usually track that does not have limited slip. no mclarens have it either but those are sports cars and macan is a truck. so do i have to spring for the 1500$ and brake use or can i do without? btw, i asked this in the gt3 forum and got conflicting opinions. thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 02:31 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm all for anything that makes my car get to where I want it to go safer. If I push it too hard, or there's something slippery on the road, and PTV wears my brakes a little rather than me bouncing off a guard rail, I'm good.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I'm all for anything that makes my car get to where I want it to go safer. If I push it too hard, or there's something slippery on the road, and PTV wears my brakes a little rather than me bouncing off a guard rail, I'm good.
You are describing stability control. It is standard.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 278 Posts

IMHO, I'd save the $1,500 and put it toward a set of track-specific tires and wheels and brake pads.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:45 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I would suggest driving two Macans back to back with and without PTV and see if you can tell the difference. I spent a LOT of time comparing and decided to get the PTV. And I’m very happy with my choice. While I do track cars a lot, including my 991S, my Macan GTS will never see a HPDE. That notwithstanding, PTV is, for me, incredibly worthwhile on the street. Sure, I drive the GTS in a spirited fashion a lot on the hilly, curvy backroads and PTV can really do its thing. But it’s also quite effective in routine suburbia. How many times to you hit highway cloverleaf, zip around a tight corner or roundabout or duck into a sidestreet off a main road. PTV really lessens the understeer and turns the nose quickly. It makes the Macan feel much more car-like, it feels like it has a lower center of gravity. It feels lighter and it almost shrinks the size of this SUV.

I really appreciate the subtle difference PTV makes. My wife would never notice. Other people may or may not. But I ponied up the extra dollars for the option only after a lot of butt research. I also wanted to maximize the “Porsche experience” since I was, in fact, buying a really expensive SUV for a reason. A little for looks, a little for luxury but mostly for performance.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 308 Posts

If PTV was necessary, it would be standard equipment. If you're taking your Macan skiing, the LSD would be a good thing to have. Didn't order PTV for our Macan GTS nor Cayman GTS and don't miss it (taken CGTS to track a few times). Specifically on the CGTS, I've heard the Porsche LSD isn't track durable and from what I've read, the rear brake PTV prematurely wears down the rear pads and rotor.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:40 PM
rna352
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really wanted only what was "necessary," you wouldn't be buying a GTS.

Now then, is it "worth it?" To me it is. And I couldn't afford a GTS.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Until they add four separate brake pedals and we all grow a few more legs and a much faster brain, systems that allow intelligent, individual wheel braking corrections for safety or performance will be useful, especially in making a two-ton SUV handle kinda sorta like a sports car...

Is PSM necessary?
Dual clutch auto-manuals?
PASM?
360 HP?

In short, yes, get the PTV, especially if you plan on driving aggressively.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:45 PM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
You are describing stability control. It is standard.
No, I wasn't, the thread is about PTV+. Since you don't know I'll include Porsche's description:

"'Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle’s vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.

At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow.

Optional for all Macan models"
...and yes, if it'll help me in dicey situations, I still want it.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I'd guess that the differences between PTV and PSM are primarily just different software operating on the same components with different objectives...

PSM has the primary goal of safety, key objective is to prevent a spin.

PTV has the primary goal of performance, improving turn-in.

Both are using yaw sensors to measure rotation, pulse sensors on every wheel to measure wheel speed and lockup, as well as a host of other inputs including throttle, steering angle, brake pressure, etc. and ultimately apply varying braking pressure to individual wheels to help with the stated goal...

The real difference seems to be the PTV option also gives you an electronically controlled rear limited slip, which is a valuable tool to add to the toolbox, especially as it can help with traction without additional brake pad wear (a common complaint from those that use PSM on the track).
Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'd guess that the differences between PTV and PSM are primarily just different software operating on the same components with different objectives...

PSM has the primary goal of safety, key objective is to prevent a spin.

PTV has the primary goal of performance, improving turn-in.
This-^

Limited slip differentials are awesome but the additional fraction of safety that it provides shouldn't be something that you attempt to make use of on public roads.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
This-^

Limited slip differentials are awesome but the additional fraction of safety that it provides shouldn't be something that you attempt to make use of on public roads.
What? So if you're driving up an icy hill and can only get traction on one wheel you shouldn't "attempt" use your limited slip differential? You'd rather slide of the road or stop moving on a public road?? If you're driving on an icy road (or one with wet leaves) you see no safety value in having your car automatically maximize your turning ability? That "additional fraction of safety" is off limits on public roads? Why???

The OP asked if it was necessary and I prefer to have it, so I do. I value my own safety and those around me. If it can improve it I will. If you don't see the value in it then so be it.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:01 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take a deep breath. Hold it. Now release slowely.

Your initial post was:

... If I push it too hard, or there's something slippery on the road, and PTV wears my brakes a little rather than me bouncing off a guard rail, I'm good.
If all of the myriad electronic driving aids that are standard on the Macan won't keep you from bouncing off a guard rail, then having PTV won't either.

To that point ...

What? So if you're driving up an icy hill and can only get traction on one wheel you shouldn't "attempt" use your limited slip differential? You'd rather slide of the road or stop moving on a public road?? ...
... you're not driving a RWD 1973 Chevy Impala with an open diff where the only 'electronic' driving aid is the nut behind the wheel.

The myriad driving aids that are standard on the Macan will do exactly, in the above case that you describe, what you expect of PTV.

Don't believe me? You don't have to. Read your owners manual:

Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 AM
rna352
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PTV makes the car turn better.

It is unnecessary.

Unless you want a car that turns better.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:51 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rna352
PTV makes the car turn better.

It is unnecessary.

Unless you want a car that turns better.
DING! DING! DING!

Quick Reply: is ptv necessary?