Macan 2014-Current

2017 Macan sunroof exploded

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 PM
yiyima
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Macan sunroof exploded

I am new to this forums so excusing me if I am post in the wrong section. I bought my 2017 Macan three weeks ago and now it is around 720 miles. Last Friday (10/27), I drove the car back to my apt after work and everything is fine, that was around 6pm. However, when we went out around 9pm, I suddenly realized that the sunroof was totally shattered/cracked. I was shocked because I parked my car in the garage, it is impossible for somebody do this on purpose I think? On Saturday morning, I called my dealer and at the very beginning, they said it was caused by a flying stone or rock but I didn't buy this. Then they said they will call the PCNA and see whether this happens to anyone else. This morning, they called me, saying that there is no one have ever reported a similar situation like this. And after several negotiation, they said I have two options, one, they will fix the sunroof for me, but the millions of glasses in the car which may damage the leather seat, they will charge for me to clean that. The other one is just ask me to repair the sunroof through my insurance company. I am a little bit frustrated because this may happen when you drive the car and it is definitely a dangerous thing, and they still trying to sell me as this is caused by a flying stone. So I am wondering what can I do now? Just repair the sunroof through the insurance company? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:11 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

This is becoming a larger problem. I had not heard of it happening to a Porsche.

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-th...roo-1819815183
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

With only 700 miles on the car, I would want this issue covered under warranty, provided that there is no external evidence of impact damage (e.g. dents, chipped paint around the periphery of the roof opening.)

If such evidence exists then insurance is the correct route.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

What a bummer! I have never heard of a Macan panoramic roof shattering like that.

There is always the chance that someone hammered it or that stone hit it and the heat caused the shatter. I got a tiny windshield stone chip due to a rock the week I got my car and a year later in my garage on a hot day the chip grew into a crack right across the window overnight.

I would contact Porsche PCNA directly and ask that they repair it with no cost to you. The cost of cleaning the interior is tiny compared to the sunroof repair. I am surprised that your dealer did not just eat that, particularly as they were going to repair it- likely under warranty.

I look forward to finding out how it works out for you.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,561 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Reading that Jalopnik article, I think I may have the Pano roof in my Cayenne laminated on the inside with very light or clear tint so that in the event it ever does shatter, the small glass pieces stay glued together by the tint and don't rain down into the car.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

That look like someone took a hammer and operated on your roof. Like others had stated it is shattered proof panel and strange for debris to be scattered all over the interior, unless it is severe blunt force.

John
Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Sigh...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-th...roo-1819815183

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...a-report-finds
Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 AM
lop3cr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a girl friend who had a similar issue once on her Lexus. No explanation as to what caused it.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan sunroof exploded