Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Freak Accident Advice/Info Neededx

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:29 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Wow. Glad you are Ok. Hope you get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:20 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a similar experience years ago - not in a Porsche - My Grandmother had a 1986 Caprice Classic - she had a similar accident - they concluded her high heel go stock under accelerator - the car was fixed and my sister got the car (my Grandmother no longer wanted to drive - she was 94). She was driving the car and it took off, full acceleration, without warning- she was not exerienced enough to put it in neutral, but did get it to stop with both brake and parking brake and pulled over and stopped. She was on the freeway at the time. A CHP pulled over to see if she was ok, she told him what happened. He had her pop the hood and he pulled both the fuse and the relay for the cruise control module and she went on her way, with no issues. Went to dealer, they found nothing wrong. She also no longer wanted the car - I was happy to take it, as it was an upgrade to my car at the time - I drove it about 5 months and thought the whole thing was BS....... until - yep the car took off on me one day - full acceleration - I hit neutral and it rev'd to redline - shut it off - went and pulled the fuse and relay for cruise and after that had no issues. When I sold the car I disclosed to the buyer, showed him how to put fuse and relay back in, if they wanted to use cruise, but advised against it and had him sign paperwork to that effect.

Never found out what caused it, but clearly a fault in the cruise control system! Good luck finding the fault and getting this resolved and behind you.

Last edited by supercup; 10-10-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:06 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Just a thought re: the OP's opening post.

Could it just be possible that you attempted to put the directional signal on to indicate you were pulling into a parking space - and inadvertently hit the
cruise control stalk in the RESUME direction?

Both stalks are on the left side of the steering column.

The upper stalk is for the directional signals - UP for RIGHT and DOWN for LEFT

The lower stalk is for the cruise control - UP for RESUME and DOWN for OFF

If you were signaling a right hand turn into a parking spot and hit the wrong stalk...

It's something to consider.

Last edited by PSEE; 10-11-2022 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 10-11-2022, 08:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,563 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Just a thought re: the OP's opening post.

Could it just be possible that you attempted to put the directional signal on to indicate you were pulling into a parking space - and inadvertently hit the
cruise control stalk in the RESUME direction?

Both stalks are on the left side of the steering column.

The upper stalk is for the directional signals - UP for RIGHT and DOWN for LEFT

The lower stalk is for the cruise control - UP for RESUME and DOWN for OFF

If you were signaling a right hand turn into a parking spot and hit the wrong stalk...

It's something to consider.
The brakes should still immediately override that if things are working correctly though and not require 2 feet of pressure on the brake pedal and the parking brake to get the vehicle stopped. It certainly sounds like a cruise control malfunction and I'm guessing the laser distancing sensor didn't work either since it plowed into stuff the car should have "seen".
Old 10-12-2022, 12:03 PM
yuval
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Another cause can be the floor mat. if its not secure to the floor in the 2 connections , the mat can get loose
and put pressure on the gas pedal. or if you put a 2 mat on top of the one
( like winter mats ) but most likely driver error. let the insurance pay .
good luck
Old 10-12-2022, 12:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Unfortunately we may never know the cause - maybe Porsche "can not duplicate" or we never hear back from the OP if there is a cause determined. Whatever it turns out to be, it sounds scary.

Quick Reply: Macan Freak Accident Advice/Info Neededx