2017 Macan Basic Chassis shake Porsche knows about it

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The known issue is an upgrade to a wheel bearing on 2017 Macan Basic

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Got to say this is one of the most confusing posts ever to decifer. So wheel bearing replaced initially but didn't solve solution but at the end changing rims/wheels solved it. So have to ask ... That known problem that Porsche knows. What was that problem? Also with respect with faulty wheel bearings you did not hear the dreaded particular sound of failed wheel bearings going afoul on any car?
Not sure how else to answer you. Maybe you didn't read the last post. Look if I could have understood better how this forum worked as a first time poster I would have been able to delete it and start over. As it panned out the posts were not in order. The last post was the only way to show you the timeline, and what I found as it happened to me. The dealer told me about the known problem. That was an upgrade to the wheel bearing. Other than that I was hoping that if someone else had a bearing issue that caused a shaking in the car they could start there. I have used other forum's and the editing of a post would really update. This one did not work well. For that I'm sorry that the posts confused you so much.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by doggarnporsche
Not sure how else to answer you. Maybe you didn't read the last post. Look if I could have understood better how this forum worked as a first time poster I would have been able to delete it and start over. As it panned out the posts were not in order. The last post was the only way to show you the timeline, and what I found as it happened to me. The dealer told me about the known problem. That was an upgrade to the wheel bearing. Other than that I was hoping that if someone else had a bearing issue that caused a shaking in the car they could start there. I have used other forum's and the editing of a post would really update. This one did not work well. For that I'm sorry that the posts confused you so much.
996FLT6 asked what was the problem that you thought/claimed Porsche knew about.

What was the problem that you thought/claimed Porsche knew about?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default I repeat myself, wheel bearing upgrade new from Porsche for the 2017 Macan Basic only

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
996FLT6 asked what was the problem that you thought/claimed Porsche knew about.

What was the problem that you thought/claimed Porsche knew about?
My title told it all, an upgrade to the wheel bearing is the know issue that Porsche is aware off. This was told to me by my Porsche dealer.
Look this model is new for Porsche.

It isn't the same chassis as the Macan S or Turbo. The frame is different according to my mechanic at my dealership. It is stiffer. The newness is what I got out of my mechanic's explanation is why this hasn't shown up before in other Macan's.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

A week ago I started to write a post, then deleted it - for the very reason cited above.

Confusing? You bet!

Misleading - certainly.

The OP had a vibration issue.. As many on the forum know, those are typically related to tire issues - or possibly wheel issues. Why the dealer didn't investigate either of those we'll possibly never know. Instead, a more 'exotic' approach was taken to replace a wheel bearing.

I had a motorcycle dealer years ago who used to say, "You can solve any problem if you're willing to throw enough money at it". The core of his statement was that by buying parts and randomly replacing them, one would eventually resolve any issue.

Sound somewhat familiar?

The OP had his wheel bearing replaced. It has not been stated whether or not this resolved the vibration issue. Taking an unscientific approach, wheels & tires were replaced at the same time -- and the vibration issue disappeared.

This issue could have been as simple as a single tire out of balance. The symptom is one of vibration at a particular speed or starting at a particular speed.

Perhaps a wheel had been previously damaged - although in that case, the vibration would have been more likely to been manifest at all speeds.

So, in the spirit of my former bike dealer, 4 wheels and 4 tires were replaced, resolving the vibration issue.

The statement above noting there is some known problem the dealer is aware of suggests some sort of Porsche defect - and that the dealer is behaving in a manner suggesting reluctance to resolve the issue. If the dealer was willing to $ for $ replace the entire vehicle, that would seem to illustrate the dealer's dedication to making the OP happy - the complete opposite of neglecting the issue.

The good news is, the OP's issue was resolved.

OP - please note tires may wear out of balance over time - and require a rebalance. If some vibration develops it will likely indicate it's time for that rebalance. Ignoring the symptom will allow the tire to wear more out of balance, etc. Similarly, if the vehicle is driven into/through large potholes, there is a possibility of damaging a wheel (bent rim). Wheels can, in many cases, be straightened. It's pretty easy to see a damaged wheel by a shop.

Hopefully this thread is put to sleep...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Yes, I think The Great Macan Crisis is over. The worldwide recall is cancelled and production resumes. Whew!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

A week ago I started to write a post, then deleted it - for the very reason cited above.

Confusing? You bet!

Misleading - certainly.

The OP had a vibration issue.. As many on the forum know, those are typically related to tire issues - or possibly wheel issues. Why the dealer didn't investigate either of those we'll possibly never know. Instead, a more 'exotic' approach was taken to replace a wheel bearing.

I had a motorcycle dealer years ago who used to say, "You can solve any problem if you're willing to throw enough money at it". The core of his statement was that by buying parts and randomly replacing them, one would eventually resolve any issue.

Sound somewhat familiar?

The OP had his wheel bearing replaced. It has not been stated whether or not this resolved the vibration issue. Taking an unscientific approach, wheels & tires were replaced at the same time -- and the vibration issue disappeared.

This issue could have been as simple as a single tire out of balance. The symptom is one of vibration at a particular speed or starting at a particular speed.

Perhaps a wheel had been previously damaged - although in that case, the vibration would have been more likely to been manifest at all speeds.

So, in the spirit of my former bike dealer, 4 wheels and 4 tires were replaced, resolving the vibration issue.

The statement above noting there is some known problem the dealer is aware of suggests some sort of Porsche defect - and that the dealer is behaving in a manner suggesting reluctance to resolve the issue. If the dealer was willing to $ for $ replace the entire vehicle, that would seem to illustrate the dealer's dedication to making the OP happy - the complete opposite of neglecting the issue.

OP - please note tires may wear out of balance over time - and require a rebalance. If some vibration develops it will likely indicate it's time for that rebalance. Ignoring the symptom will allow the tire to wear more out of balance, etc. Similarly, if the vehicle is driven into/through large potholes, there is a possibility of damaging a wheel (bent rim). Wheels can, in many cases, be straightened. It's pretty easy to see a damaged wheel by a shop.

I'm happy with my outcome. I have to say that I had all wheels road force balanced and wheels checked for being bent or deformed before I brought the car to the dealer. I do hope that in the future that the forum will make it easier to edit or delete the entire post if all goes to dirt. I surely didn't wish this on anyone to read. My apologizes for this mess.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Happy that issue was resolved ��. Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Oops 😃. Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Confusing? You bet!

Misleading - certainly.

Sound somewhat familiar?

You beat me to it. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by doggarnporsche
... The newness is what I got out of my mechanic's explanation is why this hasn't shown up before in other Macan's.
Posts should be proof-read. It is only fair that someone looking for help will go to this trouble if they want someone to go to the trouble of responding. Proof-reading would have revealed that you needed to rewrite the sentence above, to something like "My mechanic explained that the 'frame' of a Base Macan is modified. That's why this problem has not appeared before."

(A corollary is that writing a post on a smartphone requires even more dedication.)

It's vital that this forum welcome all comers, so we can share as much information and experience as possible. I don't want to discourage you! Keep posting.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan Basic Chassis shake Porsche knows about it