Macan 2014-Current

2017 Macan Basic Chassis shake Porsche knows about it

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Macan Basic Chassis shake

Okay, this is now official from Porsche according to my dealer. The chassis was shaking and showed up on the floorboard Not the wheels. It starts at 70 mph. My build was Nov 12 of 2016. So far Porsche knows about it, but they don't know when it is going to be fixed, and no recall as of yet. I really liked the SUV, but it is being replaced. We did find a bad driver side rear wheel bearing, and it was replaced under warranty no problem. The chassis is still shaking in the floor board. To be fair here, I was told that Porsche knows about this issue. After what it took to fix it (see other posts) I'm not sure that I was told everything about the wheel bearings and what can result from what I was told was a issue supposedly from Porsche.

I'm now keeping the car since I finally found a fix. New 19" wheels/tires Michelin Latitude's. The tires were the same on 18" and 19" rims. The real part may be a combination of just one of the items. All I know is that with my dealers help I got to trade up to 19" with tires and a bit of change and it is fully functional to my liking.

Last edited by doggarnporsche; 08-09-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: I solved the problem...
Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Very strange. My CPO Turbo is 99% perfect.

What did you get instead?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

I'm sure it is. I was only talking about the Basic Macan with 252 hp not the S or Turbo or GTS and only the 2017 model.
I got a 2016 Macan S.

Last edited by doggarnporsche; 08-04-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added more to the questions answered
Old 08-05-2017, 10:10 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by doggarnporsche
I'm sure it is. I was only talking about the Basic Macan with 252 hp not the S or Turbo or GTS and only the 2017 model.
I got a 2016 Macan S.
I've heard nothing about this. And I spoke with a friend who is a Porsche Gold Tech and he has not heard anything either. A substantial percentage of the mechanicals and chassis platform are identical on Macans. Care to be more specific?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradB
I've heard nothing about this. And I spoke with a friend who is a Porsche Gold Tech and he has not heard anything either. A substantial percentage of the mechanicals and chassis platform are identical on Macans. Care to be more specific?
As I explained above, the shaking is felt with my feet in the drivers side floorboard and some in the steering wheel if going well over 70. I went to the dealer this morning, and next week we are going to put some 19in wheels on and see if it can be identified in the wheels as a possible place, I have had the car aligned and road force balanced many times, tried different tire pressures with no luck of this shaking felt through the floorboard. I can't believe what I'm hearing either from the dealer, so I'll exhaust all options before more drastic measures.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a base Macan and I get nothing above 70 mph. At 90 mph it feels solid.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Thumbs up Problem solved for good went from 18" to 19" wheels/tires..read below

[QUOTE=doggarnporsche;14373623]Okay, this is now official from Porsche according to my dealer. The chassis was shaking and showed up on the floorboard Not the wheels. It starts at 70 mph. My build was Nov 12 of 2016. So far Porsche knows about it, but they don't know when it is going to be fixed, and no recall as of yet. I really liked the SUV, but it is being replaced. We did find a bad driver side rear wheel bearing, and it was replaced under warranty no problem. The chassis is still shaking in the floor board.

I found the problem: 4 bad tires on 18" rims. Don't know for sure though if it was both together or one or the other. Regardless, I traded up with the dealers help and have 4 new 19" rims/tires.
Michelin Latitude on both good and bad tires. At any rate I'm a happy camper and love the new track like and feel like a Porsche again.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I have a base Macan and I get nothing above 70 mph. At 90 mph it feels solid.

The problem is solved. Either or of 4 bad rims/tires. With the dealers help got 4 new 19" rims/tires. All Michelin Latitude on good and bad tires. Really not sure if the shaking was from both or one or the other. But, when done putting the 19" wheels/tires all is perfect and feels like a Porsche should.
After a day of thinking more about the events that lead to a solution I have to add this. Mentioned in another post on this issue I did have the driver side rear wheel bearings replaced. It maybe that the damage done by it may have also lead to a bad tire. I didn't just replace that wheels tire. It may have fixed it, but I like the solution that is on my car right now. 4 new wheels/4 new Michelin Latitude tires. If any of this experience can save some anguish then this was time well spent. I still have to question why a wheel bearing would go out in less than 7000 miles.

Last edited by doggarnporsche; 08-09-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BradB
Please read the fix below.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

Please read the fix below.
Tricky to figure out but good the real problem was solved.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 08-09-2017, 06:43 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default I may be that Porsche doesn't know about this. I solved my problem.

I got a 2016 Macan S.
I have to update, I decided to not get the 2016 Macan. I keep my 2017 Macan Basic.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

I have to update, I decided to not get the 2016 Macan. I keep my 2017 Macan Basic.
This thread is beyond confusing. Still don't know which year has the 'problem' and what vehicle you had or have.

Never mind....i don't need to know. Time for popcorn indeed.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default And thats the way it is

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
This thread is beyond confusing. Still don't know which year has the 'problem' and what vehicle you had or have.

Never mind....i don't need to know. Time for popcorn indeed.
Okay, fair enough. The problem was my 2017 Macan Basic. It had a wheel bearing go bad, as I found out in the end. The fix took weeks to get fixed. The dealer offered dollar for dollar to replace the car to keep me happy. I thought that might work, but next day changed my mind. I got the bearing replaced and had an idea of changing the wheels to see if that was a fix to shaking which keep happening. So, changed the wheels from 18 to 19 and keep the same brand of tire. That fixed the problem. That make better sense. I wish I could have done edits on my posts, but that didn't let me change so that the timeline worked. I even think that if I had the time and money to do it differently I would have replaced the driver side wheel that had the bearing problem and put a new tire on that and see what would happen. I think that the bad bearing ruined the tire so that at speed it started to shake the car. But the dealer wanted to get the fix done once and for all. So we bargained a deal for the 19" wheels and tires, and that is the whole truth so help me God.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:48 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Got to say this is one of the most confusing posts ever to decifer. So wheel bearing replaced initially but didn't solve solution but at the end changing rims/wheels solved it. So have to ask ... That known problem that Porsche knows. What was that problem? Also with respect with faulty wheel bearings you did not hear the dreaded particular sound of failed wheel bearings going afoul on any car?

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan Basic Chassis shake Porsche knows about it