Macan 2014-Current

Turbo or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or GTS?

I had initially planned for a lightly optioned GTS. I don't need much else since air suspension, 20 inch RS wheels, sports exhaust etc are all standard.

I walked into a dealership expecting a little off MSRP but now the dealer has quite a few nicely optioned '17 turbo on the lot and the offer is now such that the difference is not much.

I am not entirely sure what is the difference but what will you do?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I recently drove a turbo with the standard suspension and the GTS and I preferred the GTS's tighter more sporty feeling ride. I was driving with all of the sport buttons on and looking around for more to press. I would say get the turbo if you want faster but more comfortable ride and get the GTS if you care more about corners. For me it's a either a GTS or a Turbo PP.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I would not get the Turbo if it is lacking AS/PASM. But you said the ones on the lot are nicely optioned in which case a good deal on the Turbo is worth considering. The immediately available low end torque on the 3.8l engine is quite nice and noticeably improved over the 3.0l engine (not that the 3.0l is bad or anything). Go drive it!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Just to clarify the couple of Turbo all comes with AS/PASM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't think of anything a GTS can do that a Turbo cannot do except a touch more agility in the corners.

The Turbo is a bit more nose heavy but has more power -- actually not just more absolute power, but more instantaneous response thanks to the larger displacement engine. Early dealer inventory may have a lot of highly optioned Turbos that have some frills that buyers decided were not worth the extra cost. I am one of those people who look at electronic gadgets as extra ballast that can be expensive to repair when they break.

Your preference really depends on where you live and how you drive.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Turbo with Air-suspension and Sport Chrono should do everything a GTS does, but just a bit faster. Add Sport Exhaust and it should sound like a GTS too. Sport Design package in black will make it look like a GTS.

I'd pick a CPO Turbo (with AS and SC) over a new GTS. (And I did...)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Xerxes480
5th Gear

I just went through this same decision process. In the end, I decided the GTS had all the right performance bits already included in the price, and the minimal difference in perf. numbers wasn't worth the extra cost of the Turbo (to me, at least). Subjective, I know. Plus, I really wanted the Burmester upgrade, which was much easier to swallow at the GTS price.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either choice. It comes down to how much money you want to spend. Good luck OP!

-X-
Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM
j997tt
Advanced

I've been offered 12% off MSRP on a new 17 Turbo and was committed to buying (as in close to signing a buyers order) a 17 GTS, also discounted but less than the Turbo. The thread above gives some good insights. I lean to the sporting side and know the GTS delivers. The GTS has a few more options such a Connect plus, PP, trailer hitch, PTV+. The Turbo I am looking at has AS/PSM, SC, and some nice options (21s, PP+, and PSE but no PTV+). I have driven the GTS bit not the Turbo. I drive the Turbo tommorrow. The costs difference between the two is virtually negligible (2.5K). Any thoughts aside from what was given above? Although I can and will make my own decision I thought I would seek some objective knowledge and experience from this group. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Default GTS vs. Turbo

IIRC, the Turbo comes with more 'standard' features.

You could get the Turbo, then add an electronic module to achieve the
lowered stance of the GTS - all the time.

Is the claim that the GTS sits 10mm lower then the Turbo at all of its ride height settings? If so, the the proposal above would address that
difference.

It's your money...

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 AM
GmanJeff
4th Gear

I drove both variants yesterday, expecting to prefer the Turbo but found I liked the GTS better. The GTS felt more lively, no slower by the seat of the pants, and handled a little more like a sports car. The salesman said the dealership had seen no interest in the Turbo PP and had not sold any, which also was something of a surprise.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 PM
j997tt
Advanced

To close the loop - I ended up going with the GTS... same experience as the poster above. The turbo felt a little more isolated a drive to me. Power difference didn't feel that superior by seat of the pants. I pick up my Macan GTS on Friday... nicely optioned and a good deal.

Quick Reply: Turbo or GTS?