Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2024, 12:19 AM
ohturtle
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
I'm going to be honest here. The car drives very quiet and smooth. Another member mentioned the sport sound was quiet and it really is. I have no reaction for it compared to my 430 Scuderia and 993 turbo. The Macan and Ferrari are my only automatic cars. If you're looking for a visceral experience, sorry the Macan is not it regardless if it's a "turbo".

The car has 630 horsepower and weighs 6000 lbs. I am taking it slow for all break-in purposes and tire safety. I did reach a high speed without knowing it ~95. It doesn't feel fast or exciting to me and it's not the reason why I got it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's the truth. Rear axle steering as I stated, is amazing. This is an SUV at the end of the day and I'm not Chris Harris.

Once you get it, you'll understand what I mean about the window speed - It is ridiculously slow.
Thank you for this. You just stopped me from making a bad choice!
Old 10-02-2024, 01:20 AM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ohturtle
Thank you for this. You just stopped me from making a bad choice!
Go for test drive and see how you like it.

I had the EQE AMG suv ordered but came damaged, I test drove it but didn’t like it at all. The brakes sucked and the car felt heavy.

Ventilated seats is one of the reasons why I got this car, how many electric suvs have ventilated seats? Nothing else besides the EQE/S suv and Lexus RZ.

The following users liked this post:
Awas (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 02:30 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

It drives like an electric car.
Interesting.
But many say, reviews and owners alike, Taycan is the best electric car and drives like a Porsche.
Does Macan come close to it or not?
Old 10-02-2024, 02:51 AM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Originally Posted by Awas
Interesting.
But many say, reviews and owners alike, Taycan is the best electric car and drives like a Porsche.
Specifically, which Porsche does the Taycan drive like?

Saying the Taycan drives like a Porsche sounds like an emotional statement. I just don’t see the connection. does it also drive like an Audi or VW?

The Macan Electric air suspension and light steering feels like a BMW. Power delivery feels like a Tesla. The brakes feel like a Porsche. That’s about the only thing that feels like Porsche.

I’m going to have to revisit this after I give it full throttle.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 10-02-2024 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2024, 09:17 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Specifically, which Porsche does the Taycan drive like?
Saying the Taycan drives like a Porsche sounds like an emotional statement. I just don’t see the connection. does it also drive like an Audi or VW?
The Macan Electric air suspension and light steering feels like a BMW. Power delivery feels like a Tesla. The brakes feel like a Porsche. That’s about the only thing that feels like Porsche.
I’m going to have to revisit this after I give it full throttle.
I don't know which Porsche does the Taycan drive like. They just say that. I have no personal experience as this is going to be my first Porsche, currently driving i4 eDrive 40. It might well be “emotional statement” as you say, but many reviewers say that not just for Taycan, but even for this Macan. Surly, you must have seen some reviews as well, claiming that. 🤔

It would be good to know your further expressions/feedback when you revisit after you give it a full throttle, as you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Porsches. 👍

Old 10-02-2024, 12:42 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

I don't know which Porsche does the Taycan drive like. They just say that. I have no personal experience as this is going to be my first Porsche, currently driving i4 eDrive 40. It might well be “emotional statement” as you say, but many reviewers say that not just for Taycan, but even for this Macan. Surly, you must have seen some reviews as well, claiming that. 🤔

It would be good to know your further expressions/feedback when you revisit after you give it a full throttle, as you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Porsches. 👍

I went through the Taycan forum last night and read two posts that are aligned with my view that the drive is not engaging, just on the first page.. I think the people who are writing praise reviews are sensationalizing their readers.

I still love the car, there’s nothing else in this market segment i’d rather have than the macan electric turbo.
It reminds me more of a gran class seat on the Shinkansen bullet train.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 10-02-2024 at 01:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
Awas (10-02-2024), tmrqs (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 12:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 506 Posts

Interesting.
I test drove both a 2024 Macan Turbo EV and a 2025 Taycan (model ??) on a Porsche drive event last week. The Macan drives really well and seems similar to the Macan gas model (with the obvious differences). I really liked it and once the bugs are worked out (if there are any) I think I'd be happy in a Macan 4S. Driving the Taycan is different. You sit much lower in the Taycan - it feels like you are looking over the hood of a 911 a bit and it drives very sports car like. In fact I think the Taycan makes you forget you are driving an EV in regular city traffic, other than the absence of engine/exhaust noise. I give the ride/handling a 9.5/10. But at 66, even though the Taycan now lifts itself 5" to help you get in and out, it isn't as easy as getting in and out of the Macan. And the cost is another issue. A Macan 4S nicely equipped in Canada is $130,000CAD. The Tacan 4S is closer to $180,000CAD and it has a barely usable rear seat and depreciation that is dropping quicker than the Titanic. So there is that to consider.

But, if I didn't have need for the back seat and could live with the getting in and out of the Taycan and the costs were similar, I'd take the Taycan. It's such an amazing driver.

Last edited by kayjh; 10-02-2024 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
Awas (10-02-2024), TurboIXXI (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 01:43 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Originally Posted by kayjh
I test drove both a 2024 Macan Turbo EV and a 2025 Taycan (model ??) on a Porsche drive event last week. The Macan drives really well and seems similar to the Macan gas model (with the obvious differences). I really liked it and once the bugs are worked out (if there are any) I think I'd be happy in a Macan 4S. Driving the Taycan is different. You sit much lower in the Taycan - it feels like you are looking over the hood of a 911 a bit and it drives very sports car like. In fact I think the Taycan makes you forget you are driving an EV in regular city traffic, other than the absence of engine/exhaust noise. I give the ride/handling a 9.5/10. But at 66, even though the Taycan now lifts itself 5" to help you get in and out, it isn't as easy as getting in and out of the Macan. And the cost is another issue. A Macan 4S nicely equipped in Canada is $130,000CAD. The Tacan 4S is closer to $180,000CAD and it has a barely usable rear seat and depreciation that is dropping quicker than the Titanic. So there is that to consider.

But, if I didn't have need for the back seat and could live with the getting in and out of the Taycan a the costs were similar, I'd take the Taycan. It's such an amazing driver.
I agree! I would be happy in a Macan 4S as well.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:30 PM
DTaxman
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through the Taycan forum last night and read two posts that are aligned with my view that the drive is not engaging, just on the first page.. I think the people who are writing praise reviews are sensationalizing their readers.

I still love the car, there’s nothing else in this market segment i’d rather have than the macan electric turbo.
It reminds me more of a gran class seat on the Shinkansen bullet train.
A Macan 4S will be my first electric vehicle. I've driven a few here and there but never owned electric. I'm definitely not trying to throw shade, but curious... when people talk about electric vehicles not being "engaging", is that really just more nostalgia for ICE sports cars of their youth, or legitimately feel it's a boring vehicle to drive?
Awas (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:01 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Originally Posted by DTaxman
A Macan 4S will be my first electric vehicle. I've driven a few here and there but never owned electric. I'm definitely not trying to throw shade, but curious... when people talk about electric vehicles not being "engaging", is that really just more nostalgia for ICE sports cars of their youth, or legitimately feel it's a boring vehicle to drive?
I have 5 manual transmission sports cars, so I'm not yearning for nostalgia. I'd rather drive the Macan 6 out 7 days a week but will make me yawn after 20 minutes of driving. I guess if you're used to automatic cars, then a new EV will be exciting. Sure, I can see that. If you consider lane keep assist where you have to occasionally input steering as engaging... then I'm not sure what to tell ya.

I really do like the car. I never said I dislike it. I also never said I need an engaging car to drive.. which is why I didn't mention any aspects of driving in my review. At this point, I just want a quiet comfortable car to get to where I'm going. I love that I don't have to warm up a engine, fill up and spend money at a gas station, loads of torque, no oil/transmission/differential fluid changes, quiet and comfortable ride, no smog checks in the future, it's great!

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 10-02-2024 at 08:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
Arcanum (10-04-2024), DTaxman (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:24 PM
DTaxman
8th Gear

I have 5 manual transmission sports cars, so I'm not yearning for nostalgia. I'd rather drive the Macan 6 out 7 days a week but will make me yawn after 20 minutes of driving. I guess if you're used to automatic cars, then a new EV will be exciting. Sure, I can see that. If you consider lane keep assist where you have to occasionally input steering as engaging... then I'm not sure what to tell ya.

I really do like the car. I never said I dislike it. I also never said I need an engaging car to drive.. which is why I didn't mention any aspects of driving in my review. At this point, I just want a quiet comfortable car to get to where I'm going.
I love that I don't have to warm up a engine, fill up and spend money at a gas station, loads of torque, no oil/transmission/differential fluid changes, quiet and comfortable ride, no smog checks in the future, it's great!
Again... wasn't trying to attack you on this. I'm just curious about whether comments about EV's not being engaging are just emotional reactions to change, or if the driving experience leaves people cold. I don't have a good experience yet to say one way or the other. Agree, no comparison to a manual sports car from 25 years ago. However, I'd say the norm with any car in the last decade is fully automatic, nanny-state safety features -- even those ICE vehicles considered "drivers" cars. So, for example, is a Taycan a less engaging driving experience than an M3? Or is it just different dynamics?

Either way, I'm excited to find out personally with my Macan 4S when it is delivered. I've been driving a 2007 e-class for a loooong time now so looking forward to a change.
Awas (10-03-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:34 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Again... wasn't trying to attack you on this. I'm just curious about whether comments about EV's not being engaging are just emotional reactions to change, or if the driving experience leaves people cold. I don't have a good experience yet to say one way or the other. Agree, no comparison to a manual sports car from 25 years ago. However, I'd say the norm with any car in the last decade is fully automatic, nanny-state safety features -- even those ICE vehicles considered "drivers" cars. So, for example, is a Taycan a less engaging driving experience than an M3? Or is it just different dynamics?

Either way, I'm excited to find out personally with my Macan 4S when it is delivered. I've been driving a 2007 e-class for a loooong time now so looking forward to a change.
It's definitely the sound and the repetition from changing gears that makes an older car fun. I had a 2008 E550, the air suspension repair bill was a nightmare. Let us know what you think when you get your Macan 4S!
DTaxman (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:51 PM
DTaxman
8th Gear

It's definitely the sound and the repetition from changing gears that makes an older car fun. I had a 2008 E550, the air suspension repair bill was a nightmare. Let us know what you think when you get your Macan 4S!
Curious if you've driven the new Ionic 5N. It seems over the top ridiculous (I considered it for about 5 seconds until I saw the limited EV range), but seems to be trying to simulate a gear box experience to get closer to a classic feel.
Old 10-02-2024, 09:12 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Curious if you've driven the new Ionic 5N. It seems over the top ridiculous (I considered it for about 5 seconds until I saw the limited EV range), but seems to be trying to simulate a gear box experience to get closer to a classic feel.
I haven't driven one or even heard of one. I thought Toyota was doing something like this. Looks like it would be fun for a few minutes..
Old 10-03-2024, 12:43 AM
driege
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think people may be reacting to TurboIXXI's opinion that the Macan EV isn't that exciting to drive because they are coming from a very different place. From what I understand, (s)he owns a Ferrari and several other sports cars. In comparison, I imagine the Macan isn't that exciting.

For myself and others coming from other SUVs, I won't be surprised if we find the Macan to be the most engaging SUV we've ever driven. Time will tell, but my read is that a lot of this about what you're comparing to and what your expectations are.
The following 2 users liked this post by driege:
Awas (10-03-2024), tmrqs (10-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo