Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 05:43 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo

I picked up my Macan Turbo on Saturday and had some initial impressions I wanted to share.

The first thing I noticed was the window up/down/auto feature. I got into the car and rolled the windows down. The window moved as slow as a sloth, I was almost sure there was an issue here. Turns out, it speeds up when you push/pull all the way for the auto function. So the one-touch auto up/down speed is acceptable. The half push up/down is very slow but I think I've gotten used to it and don't think it's a problem anymore.

The passenger display is not visible to the driver. I suppose they do this so the driver wont be distracted. What I found annoying was the car settings were limited and couldn't be changed using the passenger display. I'll probably skip this option on the next car.

Porsche Navigation with HUD. As much as I wanted to like this, the Apple maps was still better with being able to select your route. The Porsche Nav doesn't let you select the route so if you miss a turn or take a familiar route, you'll have these HUD arrows flying in your face drastically.

The AC - I like the soft and strong function, the heated and ventilated seats work very well. I have one issue where the passenger footwell vent that doesn't want to close. I'd like to wait awhile before taking the car back to the dealer so I can get multiple issues fixed at the same time. (the Satellite radio also gets disconnected, Ill try to hold the power off button for 30 seconds to see if it resets) ** I pushed the power button for 30 seconds and this seemed to work but disconnected again.**

Steering - Very light and modern. I'm used to heavy steering on Porsche cars but I can see how the lighter steering reduces fatigue for long drives. I did not get a chance to test the ALK, ACC, Innodrive yet. I was trying to get used to the rear-axle steering which is amazing.
I noticed the tires were set at 46 PSI. The owner's manual did not state the tire pressure but maybe I missed this or I'll have to check the door label for tire PSI. Anyone else have theirs set at 46 PSI from the dealer? **The sticker on the driverside door says 48PSI

Door Lock/Unlock. It is silent! I cannot hear any type of actuator or noise when locking/unlocking the car by touching the door handles. Anyone else notice? I was able to select the setting so the car beeps when locking but there is definitely no mechanical locking noise. *The car seems to make an audible lock/unlock only with the keyfob.

Heated windshield - With the heated windshield you get the infrared tinted front glass that reduces heat and has the purple hue. speaking of windows, the rear glass is tiny. I really have to depend on the backup cameras to reverse park this car. I thought the cameras and surround view images were not the best I've seen and noticeably worse at night. ** turns out, I hit the camera cleaning button, camera looks ok now.

**Burmester sounds on great on wireless CarPlay but I don’t really notice any difference between the preset sound settings. Instrumental treble sounds better than any car stereo I’ve listened to, the bass is clean but lacks the punch. I’ll revisit this again with wired CarPlay.

Overall, these things wont stop me from loving the car.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-25-2024 at 02:11 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
Awas (09-23-2024), CraigW1 (09-24-2024), daveo4porsche (09-23-2024), GDF (09-23-2024), Jeff Whitten (09-23-2024), Mcx (09-24-2024), Mulacttocs (09-24-2024), russdc (09-24-2024), TC Cruising (09-23-2024), tmrqs (09-23-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2024, 05:52 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks!

you’ve said « I thought the cameras and surround view images were pretty crappy. »
Are they actually?
Old 09-23-2024, 05:58 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by beye
Thanks!

you’ve said « I thought the cameras and surround view images were pretty crappy. »
Are they actually?
I did say that and edited my post. They were bad when I reversed into a spot in a parking structure but maybe this was due to low light. Later in the evening, I went to dinner and parked outside. I thought the surround view looked pretty bad again. I'll try and clean the camera lenses and report back.
The following users liked this post:
Awas (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 06:10 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

TurboIXXI Good to know your observations.
Hopefully more will post their experiences soon. Perhaps @beye will be next. 🤔
Old 09-23-2024, 06:27 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Ah ah, I’m trying very hard to have a delivery by the end of week!
I will be able to report (pictures!) about specific options where the Porsche configurator is not very precise:
- Exclusive Design Taillights (black, not blue)
- LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Blue
- Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass
- PORSCHE" Logo on Front Seats, Illuminated
- Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
- Leather Interior in Black/Limestone Beige

and my general feeling 2018 Tesla S / 2024 Tesla X vs 2024 Macan Turbo

Awas (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 06:49 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Kudos on your Turbo @TurboIXXI, look forward to your thoughts after a few days as well.
TurboIXXI (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 07:08 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by beye
Ah ah, I’m trying very hard to have a delivery by the end of week!
I will be able to report (pictures!) about specific options where the Porsche configurator is not very precise:
- Exclusive Design Taillights (black, not blue)
- LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Blue
- Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass
- PORSCHE" Logo on Front Seats, Illuminated
- Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
- Leather Interior in Black/Limestone Beige

and my general feeling 2018 Tesla S / 2024 Tesla X vs 2024 Macan Turbo

Just a note, I got the door sill guards in aluminum to match the Burmester system I did not know the Turbo comes with carbon fiber interior door trim (I thought it was a textured metal or plastic) However, the carbon steering wheel and side view mirrors I got match the turbo interior carbon. Now, I kind of wish I splurged for the illuminated carbon door sills.
Old 09-23-2024, 07:37 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood, but it makes me sad that so little of the review is about the actual driving experience. Although I'm about to join the ranks, maybe it's true that EV owners, even Porsche EV owners, have way different automotive priorities. Window opening speed is the first observation about a 120K, 600hp vehicle?
The following 2 users liked this post by mb1:
997cabguy (09-23-2024), Larson E. Rapp (09-24-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 07:54 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for your initial review. I/we look forward to your future additions/updates.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:32 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by mb1
Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood, but it makes me sad that so little of the review is about the actual driving experience. Although I'm about to join the ranks, maybe it's true that EV owners, even Porsche EV owners, have way different automotive priorities. Window opening speed is the first observation about a 120K, 600hp vehicle?
I'm going to be honest here. The car drives very quiet and smooth. Another member mentioned the sport sound was quiet and it really is. I have no reaction for it compared to my 430 Scuderia and 993 turbo. The Macan and Ferrari are my only automatic cars. If you're looking for a visceral experience, sorry the Macan is not it regardless if it's a "turbo".

The car has 630 horsepower and weighs 6000 lbs. I am taking it slow for all break-in purposes and tire safety. I did reach a high speed without knowing it ~95. It doesn't feel fast or exciting to me and it's not the reason why I got it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's the truth. Rear axle steering as I stated, is amazing. This is an SUV at the end of the day and I'm not Chris Harris.

Once you get it, you'll understand what I mean about the window speed - It is ridiculously slow.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-23-2024 at 09:07 PM.
gloryrd (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 09:22 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Weight correction to 5,280 pounds for the turbo (still heavy of course). RWS is close to our # 1 option behind the turbo model. As I noted before in terms of instantaneous accel, the iX has it hands down in terms of neck snapping — but somehow the iX’s time 0-60 time is longer by one-tenth of a second. Going to next try it in sports plus mode and see if it is faster
TurboIXXI (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 10:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Please keep us posted on how many miles you are getting.
TurboIXXI (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 10:58 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
I'm going to be honest here. The car drives very quiet and smooth. Another member mentioned the sport sound was quiet and it really is. I have no reaction for it compared to my 430 Scuderia and 993 turbo. The Macan and Ferrari are my only automatic cars. If you're looking for a visceral experience, sorry the Macan is not it regardless if it's a "turbo".

The car has 630 horsepower and weighs 6000 lbs. I am taking it slow for all break-in purposes and tire safety. I did reach a high speed without knowing it ~95. It doesn't feel fast or exciting to me and it's not the reason why I got it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's the truth. Rear axle steering as I stated, is amazing. This is an SUV at the end of the day and I'm not Chris Harris.

Once you get it, you'll understand what I mean about the window speed - It is ridiculously slow.
Thank you!
I really appreciate your honest opinion about the Macan. I was hopeful that Porsche was able to add some soul to an EV. I guess the verdict is still out.
TurboIXXI (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 11:18 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Please keep us posted on how many miles you are getting.
I have 142 miles on the odometer and the range left is 147 miles. 2.7 miles/kWh average consumption
The following 3 users liked this post by TurboIXXI:
daveo4porsche (09-24-2024), TC Cruising (09-24-2024), usctrojanGT3 (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 12:18 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Curious, what does the owner's manual advise re: the break-in procedure?

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Initial Impressions of Macan Turbo