Sponsored by:

Macan EV: PPF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 08:17 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts
Default PPF or not?

I am not used with PPF, but I am considering it on my Macan. (Xpel ultimate plus or fusion)
Here, it is about 5-6k€ for the whole car.
What are your thoughts?
Old 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Very difficult to give a definitive answer, and again these are personal preferences based on budget.
I too, was interested but after researching and reading comments by those who have done it, I gave up the idea.

One comment on Reddit says: “I paid about $3000 for full front + fender flares PPF on my Challenger and I kinda regret it and won't be getting it on any future cars. Imo not worth it. You can literally have the whole bumper or whole hood re painted several times for the cost of the PPF. There's ALWAYS spots around certain corners and edges that eventually starts bubbling and looks bad. I'd recommend skip the PPF and buy a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable rock chips.Ceramic coat on the other hand is amazing and I am getting it done on every future vehicle. Makes washing the car a breeze.

Also, this article is worth a read: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/demeri...-its-high-cost

Old 09-12-2024, 12:34 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
Very difficult to give a definitive answer, and again these are personal preferences based on budget.
I too, was interested but after researching and reading comments by those who have done it, I gave up the idea.

One comment on Reddit says: “I paid about $3000 for full front + fender flares PPF on my Challenger and I kinda regret it and won't be getting it on any future cars. Imo not worth it. You can literally have the whole bumper or whole hood re painted several times for the cost of the PPF. There's ALWAYS spots around certain corners and edges that eventually starts bubbling and looks bad. I'd recommend skip the PPF and buy a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable rock chips.Ceramic coat on the other hand is amazing and I am getting it done on every future vehicle. Makes washing the car a breeze.

Also, this article is worth a read: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/demeri...-its-high-cost
Sorry but that is false. It's all reliant on your installer. A good installer will avoid seams, edges and will be invisible. I had my RS completely I wrapped and have all my cars ppfd. There's a reason they use it on helicopters and airplanes. Ask to see examples of work. And avoid cheap installers.
Old 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm definitely going to PPF the headlights and DRL/signal lights. I may try to attempt this myself with a pre-cut PPF.

I think it's worth getting the front bumper done.

The film itself can be costly. You mentioned xpel and they have precuts for the electric Macan on their website. Front bumper is $‎1,952.95 and the front fenders, hood, & mirrors is another $‎1,240.95 It doesn't seem that far off for professional install adding the doors, trunk lid and roof.
I can only imagine it would be a costly first time DIY.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; 09-12-2024 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ReidMct (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 09:39 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 349 Posts

I have all my cars PPF and ceramic coated. If you want to keep your car in pristine condition, this protection is worth the money in my opinion. With a daily commute of 30 miles each way, road debris is always in play. On our previous 2018 Macan GTS, we did front bumper, front fenders, mirrors, a-pillar and trunk entry. This is a good minimum install I would recommend. More as your budget allows.

We had our 911’s done full body. We are doing the same on our Macan EV Turbo. With all those nicely painted body color and gloss black pieces, we will be nicely covered. The other important piece of PPF install is prep. Regarding installers, this is where the difference is. I have used average guys a few times with decent results. Most recently we found Premier Films in Fremont, CA that does top tier work. No seams, no visible edges. Pricey but quality is so good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
BQ0910 (09-22-2024), n4v4nod (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 12:52 AM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure I’d ppf a Macan or Cayenne. Maybe a 911. There will be a tons of these on secondary market and most will have been daily drivers.
Old 09-13-2024, 02:15 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bourne
Not sure I’d ppf a Macan or Cayenne. Maybe a 911. There will be a tons of these on secondary market and most will have been daily drivers.
It’s not about the next guy… it’s about appreciating the vehicle you own.
The following 2 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
Jeff Whitten (09-13-2024), TC Cruising (09-14-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 03:42 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

As I don’t know the next guy, my aim is just to enjoy a pristine new car every day of ownership!

Is it really easier to keep clean a ppf car, or on the contrary, is there any downside that I have to know?
Old 09-13-2024, 05:21 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by beye
As I don’t know the next guy, my aim is just to enjoy a pristine new car every day of ownership!

Is it really easier to keep clean a ppf car, or on the contrary, is there any downside that I have to know?
Ceramic coating, either over PPF or as a stand alone product, will make the car easier to clean. Especially on wheels.
TC Cruising (09-14-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 05:32 AM
Awas
Instructor

Porsche also sells Outdoor car cover Plus for Macan
Is that a good idea? 🤔
Old 09-14-2024, 12:17 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Putting on a car cover, indoors or indoors over a dirty car (even a dusty one) is a ticket to surfaces scratches for even with two people removing or applying it, there are areas one has to pull/tug the cover sideways, backwards, etc to get it over a corner, a mirror and more.

I am of the PPF over key surfaces and also ceramic coating all my vehicles including my daily drivers. Typically when I get rid of a many year old car it looks pristine.
Awas (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 12:51 PM
Awas
Instructor

@TC Cruising
Interesting to know this, thanks
Old 09-20-2024, 09:50 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

Maybe a special case for me but 3 of our cars had the paint stained from water mixed with iron oxide. It dripped from a parking garage ceiling. Salty cars are parked and drip in the garage. Finds its way through the support structure, corrodes the support beams, and drips onto the hood/roof. Trying to convince my wife to park on the upper level is futile.

Cayenne will get the PPF.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:20 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I sorry to hear of your paint stains, After PPF, I would then next do to a high quality ceramic coating. All of my vehicles get both (though the PPF is only on the front of the A pillars (all paint forward of them and including the headlights), the A pillars, the first roughly 1’ of the roof, the front side of the door mirrors, and depending on how they are shaped typically also the rear fender as they bulge out. When I sell mine (avarging 5 years of ownership on our last eight,, all have looked very close to showroom new. Clearly I am not an off-roader…
Old 09-22-2024, 08:09 PM
BQ0910
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine highly recommended color correction prior to PPF and/or ceramic coating. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether that is necessary on a new car? I will probably go with PPF and ceramic based on the helpful feedback in this thread, but wondering if the added cost for color correction is worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: PPF or not?