Sponsored by:

Macan EV: PPF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 02:27 AM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I'm surprised this is controversial. PPF is plastic. All plastic degrades. There's a reason that zero manufacturers use plastic in their headlights. It's because plastic degrades and delaminates. All anyone has to do is look at cars produced in the 80s with plastic headlights. Not a pretty sight.
Any substance placed over a glass headlight alters the light projection to some degree. It's just physics. If any engineer from any manufacturer thought that a plastic coating somehow improved their product, they'd do it.
It's certainly anyone's choice to accept this tradeoff.
im confused with your post, because all cars now use plastic headlight covers with an anti-fog coating. They use plastic now because the glass would crack and easily condensate which reduced light output and safety.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:42 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts

You are correct. I am wrong. Polycarbonate. Regardless, putting film over the headlight impacts the overall effectiveness of a lighting system. Admittedly, it may be minimal.
Old 09-25-2024, 06:10 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

I got a couple quotes and starting to rethink this. The quotes I got were around $1800 - 2400! Talk about a Turbo TAX! The base model was quoted $650.

I e-mailed Suncoast and they told me the front lip in gloss is $1095. I think I'll just buy a new front lip when the time comes and cover the headlight/fog lights myself. Maybe a TechArt lip in the future.

Old 09-25-2024, 06:21 PM
Awas
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
I got a couple quotes and starting to rethink this. The quotes I got were around $1800 - 2400! Talk about a Turbo TAX! The base model was quoted $650.
$650 seems very good. And the base model is no sloth either when it can go 0-60 in just 5.4 seconds, in my view, and pretty decent in our speed limited roads. 🤔
Would you by any chance happen to know the residual on the base model?
Old 09-25-2024, 06:23 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
$650 seems very good. And the base model is no sloth either when it can go 0-60 in just 5.4 seconds, in my view, and pretty decent in our speed limited roads. 🤔
Residual on PPF installation?
Old 09-25-2024, 06:43 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Awas
the last car I got with a 5 second 0-60 was a BMW M3. that was fast! in 1995.

all jokes aside, we know Porsche is conservative with their numbers.

Old 09-25-2024, 06:52 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

I got quotes for total PPF on a Turbo: around 6k$ with XPel ultimate, including our 20% VAT (5k$ without VAT)
What is the price in you region?
The following users liked this post:
TurboIXXI (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 10:11 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Hell no, it's a Macan what will depreciate....it's no GT car or even 911.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:13 PM
cethegus
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beye
I got quotes for total PPF on a Turbo: around 6k$ with XPel ultimate, including our 20% VAT (5k$ without VAT)
What is the price in you region?
The Porsche dealer here (UAE) has quoted me the equivalent of 5.4k$ for a full PPF of my Turbo.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Hell no, it's a Macan what will depreciate....it's no GT car or even 911.
To me, it’s not a matter of depreciation.
I just want to have a nice car during my 5 years of ownership. It seems that PPF is a good way to achieve that… but maybe I’m wrong?
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

You are right. If that is your priority and it fits within your budget, solely what you want — for PPF will keep your car looking better. A pock-marked front end from rock chip impacts is not desirable nor attractive. I definitely will be getting mine PPF’d — just as I have every vehicle of ours including our daily drivers for the last six vehicles.

It is your individual choice, not a forum pressure point from some who chose other than you do.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

I thought we discussed this but maybe I read it on another forum that PPF would not be covered by insurance. So you save yourself from rock chips, but in the case of a fender bender, insurance wont pay to replace the PPF. Is it still worth getting?
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

You are correct PPF is not insurance covered. Ten years ago driving in heavy rain at 68 MPH on an interstate, a wood dining room chair fell over the tailgate of a pickup truck. We smashed into it (jersey barrier on one side, tractor trailer on the other) — into our pre-sold C6 Z06 Corvette that we were on our way to delivering. It hit the front corner, including the headlight, the front fascia, the splitter and grille. Sounded like an explosion and we were sure the entire front end was wrecked. We got lucky thanks to the XPEL. Nothing was broken; nothing needed to be replaced. Stripped off the XPEL, polished it out, waxed it, and next day pointed it out to the buyer, to which he said, “still looks just like the pictures you sent me. Still looks nearly new.” (It was eight years old with 42,000 miles on it).

Sure it was an extreme case, and again we were so lucky but thanks to XPEL it was not off to a collision repair yard with consequent a lost sale. I have had two friends who both have avoided headlight replacement due rock impacts with their having PPF on.

Everyone gets to choose…
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

@TC Cruising wow glad y'all were safe! Sounds like it was worth it!

I had just gotten a new CSL bumper for my E46 M3. Got it painted and PPF applied, on my way home, a van ran over an orange cone and it came flying at my front bumper at highway speed. I got out and managed to get the marks off the PPF, unfortunately the paint cracked/crazed under the PPF. luckily I have the PPF holding all that paint together.

Last edited by TurboIXXI; Yesterday at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: PPF or not?