Macan EV: Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,090 Likes on 4,898 Posts

Originally Posted by WasabiPeas
If I can't use Tesla superchargers with this Macan EV then it's a non-starter. Electrify America is awful - lots of complaints about broken or slow chargers. Buy an ICE Macan now while you still can. They will be highly sought after when the Macan EV is all that Porsche will be selling.
Originally Posted by spdracerut
My wife and I put a thousand miles a month on our EV and we've never once used public fast charging in the 18 months we've had the car. L2 charge at home and the occasional free L2 charge in public.
One of the non-negotiables to owning an EV is having a charging system at home.

Granted, for those that live in condos or apartments, that may not be (easily) feasible. So I get that perspective in terms of being anti-EV because of range anxiety and/or lack of public charging infrastructure.

But for those who are anti-EVs because they contend they routinely drive 200+ miles a freaking day, what kind of life do those people live? 200 miles a day? That's like at least 3 hours in the car. A day, every day? Who the hell lives like that.

That's a straw man argument if there ever was one.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 04-24-2024 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scrappy1972 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:20 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 428 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Granted, for those that live in condos or apartments, that may not be (easily) feasible. So I get that perspective in terms of being anti-EV because of range anxiety and/or lack of public charging infrastructure.

But for those who are anti-EVs because they contend they routinely drive 200+ miles a freaking day, what kind of life do those people live? 200 miles a day? That's like at least 3 hours in the car. A day, every day? Who the hell lives like that.

you don't need to have a freak8ng day for EV anxiety, just leave your home 100% fully charged (good boy you didnt forget to plug it last night right?)
Then fast in some city traffic and first lane on highway, to reach your 90 miles only away customer without a free 100kW free charger waiting for you...
Shall we buy an ICE backup car just in case?

Last edited by fxz; 04-25-2024 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:49 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by cerb1958
I am going to wait for the EV Macan GTS. My current ride is ICE Macan GTS. Just test drove a Taycan GTS. For me. GTS is THE model to get.
Totally agree on the Macan GTS. Fabulous driver SUV. Miss my 2023 Macan GTS which sadly was totaled late last year. We still have our 2018 Macan GTS which is still great, but the new ones especially with a Cobb tune are so much fun.

Be interesting if Porsche adds the GTS to the Macan EV line, my guess is no, at least in the short term. Turbo is filling that position right now. I think more likely is a rear wheel drive base Macan EV as next model. Maybe as the line up matures over the next several years, maybe they add it.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:23 PM
stanwyk
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
you don't need to have a freak8ng day for EV anxiety, just leave your home 100% fully charged (good boy you didnt forget to plug it last night right?)
Then fast in some city traffic and first lane on highway, to reach your 90 miles only away customer without a free 100kW free charger waiting for you...
Shall we buy an ICE backup car just in case?
Huh? I’d just drive home.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:30 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Totally agree on the Macan GTS. Fabulous driver SUV. Miss my 2023 Macan GTS which sadly was totaled late last year. We still have our 2018 Macan GTS which is still great, but the new ones especially with a Cobb tune are so much fun.

Be interesting if Porsche adds the GTS to the Macan EV line, my guess is no, at least in the short term. Turbo is filling that position right now. I think more likely is a rear wheel drive base Macan EV as next model. Maybe as the line up matures over the next several years, maybe they add it.
Interesting data point:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...v-first-drive/

With 50 percent more power and torque than the Macan 4, the new Turbo is—to no surprise—the fastest Macan ever. And not by a small margin. Full throttle acceleration is close to painful, with the forces barely seeming to diminish as the numbers on the speedometer scroll upwards. Porsche claims a 3.1-second 0-60 mph time—which goes with the territory for any sharp-end EV—but real context comes with the official 11.7-second 0-124 mph time. That is a full 5.2 seconds inside the corresponding time for the Macan GTS. That’s not different league, it’s different sport.”

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (04-26-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:37 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I drive about 80 miles a day on average in my work car (some days it's over 100 miles and some days it's 15-20 miles). I think I can count on one hand how many days in a year I'd drive 200+ miles for work and I have a pretty good idea how much "charge" I need each day so not having a 300+ mile range isn't a big deal. That being said, it'll be nice to have a 300+ mile range when I get my Macan which means less frequent charging.
The following 3 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
n4v4nod (04-29-2024), Needsdecaf (04-29-2024), TC Cruising (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,553 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Not a straw man argument whatsoever. I used to do it with my first job. 37k to 40k miles / year.

Fast forward two decades later and I was doing it again. My commute to office and back was 90 miles. Some days I went to project sites and it was 140-150 miles. Other days I went from Houston to Dallas and back for other projects and that was 450 miles. All in a Tesla Model 3. I managed, but I did charge at home. After 2 years of that, plus other job crap, I decided that was a single young man's game or for someone who hates their family and quit. LOL.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,090 Likes on 4,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not a straw man argument whatsoever. I used to do it with my first job. 37k to 40k miles / year.

Fast forward two decades later and I was doing it again. My commute to office and back was 90 miles. Some days I went to project sites and it was 140-150 miles. Other days I went from Houston to Dallas and back for other projects and that was 450 miles. All in a Tesla Model 3. I managed, but I did charge at home. After 2 years of that, plus other job crap, I decided that was a single young man's game or for someone who hates their family and quit. LOL.
Again, that was my point (though obliquely made)

If you (not you specifically but "you" in the generic sense) is making a daily commute of 150-200 miles for work, then the problem is not your choice of, or mode of, transportation, but your life and career choices.

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Test Drive