Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Rear Wheel Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:22 AM
Refujeet
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Steering

Just finalizing my build, and wanted to check if any views on the rear wheel steering option?

any experience with the Cayenne or others?

June production slot:
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRBQZW12
Old 03-05-2024, 10:14 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,640 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Refujeet
Just finalizing my build, and wanted to check if any views on the rear wheel steering option?

any experience with the Cayenne or others?

June production slot:
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRBQZW12
it's not a bad thing - some people like it - other's don't - it's makes turning radiuses super tight - and improves stability at speed for land changes and other maneuvers - but it costs money - will you miss it if you don't option it - probably not (cause you don't know what you're missing) - will you notice it if you get it - rarely - but it's always working for you whether you know it or not - with these types of options unless you're moving to/from vehicles with and without the option it's always hard to tell what advantage they have

I have it on my Taycan and given it's such a big car - the turning radius is fairly small and it's handling at speed is extordinarily good - I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that good without RWS…

it's definately not a bad thing - will you care if you don't option it? probably not. Will you notice it if you do option it - with out back to back comparisions it's hard to say. But they don't make it an option because it makes the car worse with it - if it were standard few if any people would complain.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
jsclarke (04-28-2024), Refujeet (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:27 AM
Refujeet
Advanced

Yeah, makes sense. I have it on our iX and enjoy it for parallel parking in the city…but don’t have it on the Macan, and don’t miss it since the car is pretty small.

I’m also trying to keep the build cost low since I’ll likely want to upgrade when NACS comes in a few years.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Yeah, makes sense. I have it on our iX and enjoy it for parallel parking in the city…but don’t have it on the Macan, and don’t miss it since the car is pretty small.

I’m also trying to keep the build cost low since I’ll likely want to upgrade when NACS comes in a few years.
tldr; $2500 for RWS on a Macan + $200 for a CCS1/NACS adapter is way way cheaper than sales tax on a whole new Macan - check the damm box and be happy - you'll need an adapter with NACS Macan's also (to access legacy CCS1/J-1772 EV chargers) - there is no winning - and $2500 vs. sales tax is a no-brainer - $2500 is nothing vs. a whole new car.

------------------------

why? you'll only need NACS when road tripping and there will be an adapter - if you're road tripping you'll only need the adapter twice a day _AT MOST_ - normally once a day (Macan is a 350 mile vehicle - 2 fast charging stops a day is 1050 miles driven - that's 16 hours of seat time @ 65 mph average speed) You can't use an adapter more than twice a day when driving "for range" and trust me it's no big deal.

99% of the time you'll charge the EV at home in your garage and never use a NACS charging station or otherwise…

when I road trip my Taycan from silly-con vallye to washington state to visit my daughters in college - it's 2500-3000 miles driven - for 10-14 fast charging stops across 6-9 days…so maybe _ONCE_ a day I'd need a NACS adapter to fast charge at a tesla supercharger…

eating depreciation/sales tax to switch to a NACS native EV simple boggles my mind - and _IF_ you ahve a NACS vehicle - you'll still need an adatper to use any CCS1 legacy fast charging stations you'll encounter that haven't been upgraded - so you either carry the NACS/CCS1 adapter with you in your frunk - or you carry the CCS1/NACS adapter in your frunk…either way you're going to have a "fist sized" adapter with you in the frunk so you can always charge anywhere - and never use that adapter more than twice a day for 10-15 days a year - the rest of time you're plugging in at home an never seeing/visiting a NACS fast charging station.

swapping a vehicle simply to get NACS is really really really really expesnive - way way way move expensive than RWS as an option - and trust after driving any EV since 2011 and lots and lots of EV road trips with EV's (Tesal and my Taycan) - you're going to have an adapter with you regardless of what type of charging port is installed on your vehicle - because for the next 10 years at least - there is going to be a mix of fast charging stations in North American - sometimes where you need to stop and charge will have a CCS1 charging cable, and other times where you need to stop an charge will have a NACS charging cable - and a $200 adapter means you don't have to care (or even included with vehicle purchase).

$2500 for RWS is way cheaper than switching your Macan to a different natve charging port on the vehicle - and again you have a NACS Macan in 2027 - and you pull into the ONLY EA charging station on your route - and still has CCS1 charging cables? (because they still haven't upgraded it to have NACS cables) - or the 50% of stalls that have the NACS charging cable are occupied, but the CCS1 stalls are available. What'cha gonna do?

if you have a Native CCS1 EV (current crop of Macans) you're going to want/need a NACS adapter
if you have a Native NACS EV (future crop of EV's) you're goign to want/need a CCS1 adapter

given this bifurcation of physical charge point designs - we're now stuck with adapter for at least 10 years - probably 15

Legacy CCS1 vehicles will want/need an NACS adapter to access the new/modern EV charging sites
New/Modern NACS vehicles will want/need a CCS1/J-1772 adapter to access existing/legacy EV charging sites that haven't been modernized

check the RWS options box, and drive the car for an extra 2 years and budget $200 for a NACS adapter - way way cheaper than sales tax on a new 2027 Macan.

worse case you'll have something like this living in your frunk … that you'll use less than 20 times a year…maybe less than 10 times

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-05-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:53 AM
Refujeet
Advanced

Helpful color on the NACS situation.

Apologies, I should clarify…not switching purely for NACS. I get bored of my cars, so I’m assuming I’ll switch cars in 24 months….and trying to minimize the depreciation hit. I’m assuming a 4s or GTS is here in a few years.

A few years ago, I would have jammed my cars and not care…and in a few years from now, I likely won’t care either. But right now, I’m in the middle of a bunch of young kids…and just trying to keep my car dreams alive. Hahah.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Helpful color on the NACS situation.

Apologies, I should clarify…not switching purely for NACS. I get bored of my cars, so I’m assuming I’ll switch cars in 24 months….and trying to minimize the depreciation hit. I’m assuming a 4s or GTS is here in a few years.

A few years ago, I would have jammed my cars and not care…and in a few years from now, I likely won’t care either. But right now, I’m in the middle of a bunch of young kids…and just trying to keep my car dreams alive. Hahah.
got it - just thought I'd point out NACS native is not a "magic" thing…in North America we're stuck with adapters for at least 10 years regardless of what type of port your vehicle has native.

I switch cars too often also - not as often as you but often - I generally find myself not wanting to suffer "holding back" and then regretting it - also if I'm forced to "keep" a car longer than planned due to circumstances outside my control - I'd want it to be "just the way I wanted it" to avoid "regret"

but this is mostly a psychology problem now, not a technical one

good luck with you decision.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-05-2024 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Refujeet (03-05-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:33 AM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

At least two reviewers in this round of road tests have specifically remarked that they do not like rear wheel steering with this vehicle. That's different than not noticing it or not considering it to be worth the price: that's two reviewers who would actually pay something not to have it.

Of course, Kyle, for one, considers it to be a must, so there you go...
Old 04-28-2024, 04:38 AM
Awas
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GMPNW
At least two reviewers in this round of road tests have specifically remarked that they do not like rear wheel steering with this vehicle. That's different than not noticing it or not considering it to be worth the price: that's two reviewers who would actually pay something not to have it.
Of course, Kyle, for one, considers it to be a must, so there you go...
When I was optioning the Macan with my Porsche dealer, I was keen on having RWS, but he advised me against it saying it really is unnecessary on this size of the car, and he has driven it in Germany.
One comment I read somewhere mentioned that he makes sure not to park the car too close to the curb, as coming out of a parked car could curb it. And anyway, I agree that if you have never used it, you are never going to notice it, and by having it you probably need to get used to using it. Besides, apart from Kyle, no other reviewer was that excited. Watching more reviews later might be interesting to see what their opinions are. Cost saving by not having it is a plus too

Last edited by Awas; 04-28-2024 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:40 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 247 Posts

Have RAS on our 911. Tighter turning radius and some improved handling. Nice to have, not a must. We are optioning it on our Turbo.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:40 PM
tmrqs
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Awas
When I was optioning the Macan with my Porsche dealer, I was keen on having RWS, but he advised me against it saying it really is unnecessary on this size of the car, and he has driven it in Germany.
That’s funny, my dealer said the exact same thing yesterday, also said he tested it in Germany. Same guy maybe?

One comment I read somewhere mentioned that he makes sure not to park the car too close to the curb, as coming out of a parked car could curb it.
There’s a cool bit about the feature and cameras around 23:30 in this review (English auto generated subtitles are available after a few seconds):

Overall, I’m still on the fence.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:53 PM
Awas
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmrqs
That’s funny, my dealer said the exact same thing yesterday, also said he tested it in Germany. Same guy maybe?
There’s a cool bit about the feature and cameras around 23:30 in this review (English auto generated subtitles are available after a few seconds):
Overall, I’m still on the fence.
My dealer was Porsche London Mayfair. And yours?

And yes, I had seen this Car Maniac video before. Anyway, I'm going to save nearly £1500 and go for another option to add on

Last edited by Awas; 04-28-2024 at 12:54 PM.
tmrqs (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:21 PM
mikeright
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Check this capture.
It clearly explains that the RWS positively affects the steering ratio making it more linear, regular and softer than in the non RWS case.

It is a capture from this video (from 15:20h)
It is in spanish but very technical and complete.
tmrqs (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:12 PM
tmrqs
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer was Porsche London Mayfair. And yours?
Ah no, mine’s in Jersey.

Anyway, I'm going to save nearly £1500 and go for another option to add on
Not like there’s any shortage of options on these cars. 🙃
Awas (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:19 PM
Awas
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmrqs
Not like there’s any shortage of options on these cars. 🙃
True, there are numerous options...lol
I have added all driver assistance options, except RWS, after the dealer persuaded me not to go for it.
Others are cosmetic as to how much you spend on your interior etc.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:00 PM
GMPNW
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeright

Check this capture.
It clearly explains that the RWS positively affects the steering ratio making it more linear, regular and softer than in the non RWS case.

It is a capture from this video (from 15:20h)
It is in spanish but very technical and complete.
https://youtu.be/LVH7WVKKy10?si=XUS4XDWhbHhk_6LN
Wow, he's on a different level technically than other reviewers I've watched.

My therapist tells me I need to work on achieving a "feeling of greater linearity," so perhaps I need RWS after all...
​​​​​​​
mikeright (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Rear Wheel Steering