Notices

So how's everyone doing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Uhh, just to let you know, that was a joke in response to Bull's equally feable attempt at humor. Thanks for info though.
Oh, for sure. It's a joke I've often heard. But part of what you said was not since it was capitalized.

And I agree. Folks make all kinds of excuses for their practioners. After all you always hear, "he's one of the best" or "she teaches other doctors". No one says, " my doc barely graduated, but I like him anyway", or worse, "I think she was an Affirmative Action placement".
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
The missle silos are opening in New Joisey...
We don't pick on people from Pennsyltuckey ( I have a sister who asks if people wear shoes there...). "Equal" my ***! Mine was far more feeble than Uncle Larry's!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
Why does the kid in the middle have his eyes closed?? Give him a couple of years....
I think it is because they were poked out? (a nice way to go, though...)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allegretto
i will politely disagree. It's as easy as telling the right one from the wrong one in any profession. Sometimes you won't get it right, but often you will if you think about it

The real problem is that we haven't been accustomed to making this particular distinction.

Then there are some very blatent ways to tell, but the perps always "Lawyer-up" and would here too.

Folks have to start demanding more of the Medical System. If they would, it would respond. Right now everyone is being distracted by the arguement of yea or nay on a Nationalized Plan. It's a Strawman carefully designed and a Pinata at the same time.

The real questions should revolve around how we maintain the quality but control the cost. Too much time spent just looking at the cost and taking quality for granted. It's an easy thing to do after all. Guys spend more time on the finish of their car than trying to think about if their Physician/Hospital/Ins Co is right for them and their family. There they just go to the "cheapest" and assume uniformity of quality. A big mistake!
You and I are like minded.

I can only say that unless you are privy to the innner workings of Medical Academia, then you ain't seen nuthin'. They write about controlling cost and quality with their right hand as their left hand is filling out forms looking for unrestricted grant and endowment money.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
You and I are like minded.

I can only say that unless you are privy to the innner workings of Medical Academia, then you ain't seen nuthin'. They write about controlling cost and quality with their right hand as their left hand is filling out forms looking for unrestricted grant and endowment money.
One of the first things that the medical community needs to start is policing their members. As some of you from Texas know we had tort reform (cannot sue Doctors except for blatant malpractice and then only to recover expenses) and Drs sue the medical board when they are reprimanded for improper procedures. A plastic surgeon in Galveston that has literally killed several of his patients and still has his license is reprehensible. Secondly IMHO Drs are becoming schills to the pharmaceutical industry. Using the general population as test subjects for unproven drugs.

I worked over seas for half my working career. In most countries they assume that you can make a fairly wise decision about your own health care. In the UK codiene is over the counter. Almost every country allows you to purchase penecillen over the counter. I was totally floored by the price of medicine when I returned. Medicine I was paying $0.50/pill overseas was $3/pill here. That folks is rediculus.

The insurance industry is helping to support this racket. When my wife died I received medical bills from the hospital in excess of $175,000 for 1 weeks medical care. The insurance companies settled with the various providers for about $0.10 on the dollar because of the contracts with the various mediical providers. Not only are we being bled by the insurance companies for medical care if we don't have insurance then our medical bills are 10 times higher this is a neat little bit of collusion.

And you wonder why the general population is for socialized medicine.

I apologize for my rant. But as you can see this is a very raw nerve for me.

Last edited by rlm328; 11-19-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: I should proof better prior to posting
Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember guys and gals that it is your body that the doctor will "be practicing medicine" on. If time allows, ask for a second opinion, in addition ask for other options to solve the same issue, e.g. If you are talking to a surgeon he would probably recommend surgery, If you are talking to an interventional radilogist he would probably recommend radiation therapy. Typically doctors will use their skills and tools that are readily available to them to help you with your problem. No offense intended to the doctors on this site, it's just human nature. Do your homework and ask questions.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Great advice, stay away from the Surgeons, if you can.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Pruitt
Typically doctors will use their skills and tools that are readily available to them to help you with your problem. No offense intended to the doctors on this site, it's just human nature.
Yep. It's like when all you know how to use is a hammer, everything tends to look like a nail.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Pruitt
Just remember guys and gals that it is your body that the doctor will "be practicing medicine" on. If time allows, ask for a second opinion, in addition ask for other options to solve the same issue, e.g. If you are talking to a surgeon he would probably recommend surgery, If you are talking to an interventional radilogist he would probably recommend radiation therapy. Typically doctors will use their skills and tools that are readily available to them to help you with your problem. No offense intended to the doctors on this site, it's just human nature. Do your homework and ask questions.
And really watch out when you get involved with a group practice including one of each and more!

Quick Reply: So how's everyone doing?