Notices

Homeowners Insurance -- Panhandle, Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homeowners Insurance -- Panhandle, Florida?

Hey you all . .. I am looking for a decent homeowners insurance agent / underwriting company here in Navarre, Florida. I know this is pretty much NPC, but I really could use some help, and SOON. Allstate just informed me that they will not be renewing my policy (heaven forbid, so many hurricanes -- yeah, right -- four or five in ten years, lol). Lunch is on me if you can assist!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
jester911
Drifting

Bon, this is a problem for many in Fla. My wife and I are planning to move there at some point in the future and we go there a quite a bit. I spoke with a guy last week that is paying almost 6k a year on a 2000 sq ft house in Sarasota.

You can find insurance but you probably won't find it cheap. It may be that you need to try to go thru something like USAA since your hubby to be is military.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for trying, Jerry. John is actually a civilian worker for the USAF, so I don't think he qualifies for USAA. Darn it. I've got a couple of leads from other folks already . . . hopefully we can find something SOON. My luck the hurricane of the century will hit right when the current policy expires.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
jester911
Drifting

Bon, even though he is a civilian he may still be able to use the air force credit union.
I am pretty sure they offer homeowners insurance.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
jester911
Drifting

If you haven't been here you might give this a try.

http://www.eglinfcu.org/
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the link, Jerry! There is actually a branch of EFCU that just opened up right around the corner from us, and we were already going to open an account there. I didn't see anything on their website about HO insurance, but it can't hurt to ask when we go in there tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were any of your or his parents in the military? If so you should look into USAA. Best company I ever dealy with.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Were any of your or his parents in the military? If so you should look into USAA. Best company I ever dealy with.
+111111111111111111111
Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bonni, I'm on the Gulf also, but Alabama is very different from Florida. USAA doesn't write here in Baldwin County or they would be have my homeowners policy too. Best company as Kurt and VR stated. Some companies have geographic lines they won't cross- usually streets. State Farm writes certain areas here, but not within a mile of the water and not south of some county roads here. Lexington writes some policies here. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but just because one says no doesn't mean they all are going to. Insurance is one of our major problems to moving real estate here. Oh, and the fact no one has any money, the news has everyone scared for the end of the world, the banks aren't lending on land or houses because they don't have any money either... sorry, ranting, I'll stop.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

John's dad was in the military, but he died of a heart attack several years ago. His mom was also in the military, but she, too, is no longer with us (John's parents were in their 40s when he was born). I'm pretty sure that you only get those benefits if a living parent is ex-military. Our next door neighbor told us that he uses Prudential, and that they are a good deal. I'll hit them up as well.

Again, thanks for the help folks. I knew I could count on you all.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go to USAA's website, then ask for a quote, they will run you through a series of questions that will tell you if you or John qualify or not. I don't remember the exact qualifications, but you can quickly find out.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, thanks Bob. I'll pass that on.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the late response. I had Allstate for years, and they cancelled all of the homeowner's insurance in Tampa Bay 2 years ago. My agent assigned me to Citizens, which is the state-run insurance program instituted after so many of the standard companies stopped writing policies. 2 months later Citizens assigned my policy to Florida Peninsula in Sunrise, Florida, and that is who I am currently using. The rates are about the same as Citizens. I also have flood insurance through Allstate. If USAA didn't work out:

Florida Peninsula Insurance Company
PO Box 45-9026
Sunrise, Florida 33345-9026

PM me if you want the name of my agent, who can give you your options--he is VERY good.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas about HO insurance. We wound up taking the advice of a neighbor and went with a Prudential agent in Gulf Breeze. I also learned about mysafefloridahome.com, a place that tells you how to be as hurricane-safe as possible (and it shows you how to get your premiums to go down). So it was a great learning experience, I guess.

Quick Reply: Homeowners Insurance -- Panhandle, Florida?