In case any of the Turtles wanted to know how I did in the Boobie Walk

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In case any of the Turtles wanted to know how I did in the Boobie Walk

Whoo hoo! Did it! 39.3 miles in two days.

There were 3,500 people walking along side us around Washington, DC, and collectively we raised over $8 million. We started Day 1 near the National Theater, walked by Ford's Theater, over to the Capitol and through Capitol Hill, back along the Mall to the Washington Monument. Then we walked over to the Jefferson Memorial, along the Tidal Basin to Memorial Bridge, and across to Arlington Cemetery. From there we walked to the Iwo Jima Memorial, through Roslyn, across Key Bridge to Georgetown where we stopped at mile 9 for lunch. From there we walked to Dupont Circle, and then up past Embassy Row to National Cathedral. Around the neighborhoods to American University, and then down to Glen Echo Park, before winding our way back to Bethesda. 26.2 miles...phew. But a very nice tour of our Nation's Capitol!

Day two was a beautiful day--warm and breezy. We started the day a little worried about our feet, which were blistered from yesterday. Initially we thought we'd go to the medical tent at the beginning to have our blisters tended. The line there was too long, so we just started walking. At the first stop the line was still long, so we walked farther still to mile 7. Once there, my mother finally had a nurse look at her blisters. I figured since mine didn't hurt THAT much, that I'd just soldier on.

Jupe, the jupelings, and my dad met us somewhere around mile 8.5 which was great. Family and friend support makes a HUGE difference on this walk. The number of people who come out to cheer, hand out water or candy or high fives is just amazing.

Day 2 was mostly touring neighborhoods of DC and Bethesda, much less sightseeing for the walkers.

I finally had someone look at my feet at 13.1 miles when we finished up. No lines at the medical tent there.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all Rennlisters for their support on my journey. I got a few more donations yesterday. You guys ROCK!

Here are some pics...I don't have the one from 39.3 yet--but I can assure you that we were PRETTY.

One of the rest stops had a sense of humor:

My mother and me .2 miles from yesterday's finish:

My feet after two days of walking:
Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Your mom is very youthful looking. You can't be over 27, right? She looks about 50. No lie.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can you walk on your ***** and what did you do to your feet?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thanks!

Your mom is very youthful looking. You can't be over 27, right? She looks about 50. No lie.
Wow!!!! How'd you guess?

Originally Posted by Kurt
How can you walk on your ***** and what did you do to your feet?
I didn't do anything to my feet, but a nice Doctor from Georgetown Hospital bandaged up my blisters.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Food Angel
but a nice Doctor from Georgetown Hospital bandaged up my blisters.
She's now been talking about this "nice Doctor" for over 24 hours...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
She's now been talking about this "nice Doctor" for over 24 hours...

Congrats Katie. Way to go!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great going Katie. Now Jupe can be your nurse maid along with his cabana boy duties. You earned it.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you slow like a turtle?

Congrats on making the walk. I just did a mini-marathon with friends to raise funds for a kid who has leukemia...I have blisters but could not find anyone to help me after the race...no willing soul to be found - I was scanning the crowd for a nurse but no luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, since it was a walk, I guess you can say I was slow like a turtle. The first 26.2 miles took about 9 hours. It's tricky, because when we first start there is a TON of traffic. Additionally, you have to stop for traffic lights. Then you stop every 2. 5 miles or so to get a drink and or a snack, to pee, to stretch...

So, yes--I was slow like a turtle. We got to mile 9 on day one about 11 o'clock, after starting at 7:30. Jupe's text to me was, "Slacker." LOL.

The Avon Walk is fantastic with all of the crew. Many, many people volunteer. In addition to medical staff volunteering to help folks with blisters, stress fractures, broken bones; there are yoga instructors at the wellness village, masseuses, folks who set up the tents for the walkers....It's really an amazing event.

Is a mini-marathon a half-marathon? I'm sorry to hear you have blisters, too. I did Tae Kwon Do tonight, which was kind of not fun with the blisters.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations Katie! Sorry about the blisters, but apparently you found a Doctor with a foot fetish.

Quick Reply: In case any of the Turtles wanted to know how I did in the Boobie Walk