Cheap gas found

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Wow, Bob, that's incredible. I remember getting ticked off when it went over a dollar. Oh, how I long for the good ol' days (and it wasn't that long ago -- 1988). I read in the Pensacola News Journal (local paper in Florida) that prices might climb to over four bucks by spring! And that was in Florida! Crap!!!
NJ is usually on the lower end of gas prices, and we have a person pump it for us, as no self-serv allowed.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap, Greg, that's way too much for diesel! I remember when diesel was significantly cheaper than gasoline such that it encouraged folks to buy diesel cars (Volkswagen, etc). I doubt it's supply and demand so much as it's someone wanting to send their kid to Harvard. But I'm a cynic . . .
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TR6
What's killing me is diesel. Why is diesel so much more than premium gasoline? It costs less (theoretically) to refine it. Best answer I've heard is 'supply and demand'. More diesel vehicles being sold now. Who knows, but its killing me with my truck. Diesel here is averaging $3.70/gallon now. I need to start driving the RSA to work....
Last I checked, there was no Diesel fuel be refined in the US to speak of, and it was/is all being refined elsewhere and shipped here. All part of what happens when any new refining capacity has been blocked since 1976!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
What's killing me is diesel. Why is diesel so much more than premium gasoline? It costs less (theoretically) to refine it. Best answer I've heard is 'supply and demand'. More diesel vehicles being sold now. Who knows, but its killing me with my truck. Diesel here is averaging $3.70/gallon now. I need to start driving the RSA to work....
Not more diesel vehicles here, it is the high demand from China from what I understand. It kills me too to pay 50 cents more than regular and getting worse.

The cost to refine depends on the mix. It is cheaper at the optimum mix of gasoline/diesel/other. But when demand for one component goes up, the efficiency to refine goes down.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Not more diesel vehicles here, it is the high demand from China from what I understand. It kills me too to pay 50 cents more than regular and getting worse.

The cost to refine depends on the mix. It is cheaper at the optimum mix of gasoline/diesel/other. But when demand for one component goes up, the efficiency to refine goes down.
Yep. With our constrained capacity, we have focused the cracking process to max the output of heating oil and/or gasoline.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonster
Holy crap, Greg, that's way too much for diesel! I remember when diesel was significantly cheaper than gasoline such that it encouraged folks to buy diesel cars (Volkswagen, etc). I doubt it's supply and demand so much as it's someone wanting to send their kid to Harvard. But I'm a cynic . . .
Yeah, when I bought my F250 diesel back in 2001, that was part of the rationalization of going with a diesel (which cost $4K extra BTW). Back in 2001, diesel was cheaper than regular gas.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I payed as low at .77 cents a gal here in GA in 1997 - 1998. Norm of .89 cents. It was just over $1 in 2000. Went up about .30 cents/gal two months after an oil man moved into the white house. Go figure.

I'd say maybe half of the ascension is High Demand. The other half is taking advantage of a perceived shortage.

Remember we were running out of oil in 1975? Yeah right. No Vaseline.

We are better than this! I think a couple months worth of Iraq war $$ and we would move beyond total petroleum dependency. Not over night but surprisingly quick. Add a profit motivator, say a Billion $ prise for the first ???? and we'd get there at F1 speed.

China need not apply. Grants to American companies doing all R&D in the states w/local labor force only. Manufacturing restricted to US only for all services, raw materials and parts for 15-20 years. Exports rise. Trade deficits decrease. Economic multiplier factor would dwarf anything this 'Give Away' stimulus package could ever dream of.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, your posting of Georgia gas prices just further prooves my point that California has been getting screwed for years now on gas prices. It seems California always has the most expensive gas. But why be surprised? We gotta pay for all those illegals on welfare somehow.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
jester911
Drifting

That is your tax dollars hard at work. Taxes are a large part of what we are paying. It is called getting screwed at both ends.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

First, we would need to get the tree huggers, the Congress and the Courts to stop 32 years of blocking ANY build-out of refinning capacity in this country. That has to come before the next step which is to start developing the resources we have, and own, for additional crude supply.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I've been way out of the loops, apparently, as today was the first I heard about our government not allowing us to build any more refineries. Maybe I just forgot, I dunno, but that kind of ruling sounds like something that might come out of California. I love my state, don't get me wrong. I'm just sick of the politics. There's a law for everything here, and a tax to enforce it. You probably can't even fart in your own home anymore without some politician slapping a tax on it. Argh. I'll stop ranting . . . for now.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Yeah, when I bought my F250 diesel back in 2001, that was part of the rationalization of going with a diesel (which cost $4K extra BTW). Back in 2001, diesel was cheaper than regular gas.
What is this? Hey Whine for Me Racing?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...ces/price.html
Price in USD
Regular/Gallon

VENEZUELA CARACAS $0.14
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 864 Posts

Randy, he didn't move into the white house until 2001. The Slickster was still there in 2000.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
NJ is usually on the lower end of gas prices, and we have a person pump it for us, as no self-serv allowed.
That's because they don't trust you New Jerseyites (New Jerseyers, New Jerseyians ) with flammables.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Cheap gas found