John D.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default John D.

Last edited by mglobe; 02-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 864 Posts

Agreed.

John, I am very sorry for your loss. I am watching my mom die slowly.

John, your "mods" are applying a standard of what is & isn't acceptable to post KNOWN ONLY TO THEM. If my decrying such a double standard is "calling them out", well, my forte never has been semantics. However, if they were really GOOD mods, they'd post a sticky of the rules of this forum. AFAIK, this does not exist anywhere but in Mikey's head. Do you actually back this appalling lack of common sense?

As I have said before, I post in 100% fun. If some folks are too insecure to tolerate equally-applied sarcasm (and I am not directing this comment to John), well, again, I have better things to do with my time that tip toe around one or two whiners whose rules are unpublished on this forum.

And I know from PM's that Mike Globe and I are by no means the only ones who feels this way.

Peace.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
It would be nice if we could all concentrate on this one simple thing.
Agreed. Live is too short. This is supposed to be fun. Let's try to keep that in mind. Our daily lives are too difficult as it is.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

John, your "mods" are applying a standard of what is & isn't acceptable to post KNOWN ONLY TO THEM. If my decrying such a double standard is "calling them out", well, my forte never has been semantics. However, if they were really GOOD mods, they'd post a sticky of the rules of this forum. AFAIK, this does not exist anywhere but in Mikey's head. Do you actually back this appalling lack of common sense?

As I have said before, I post in 100% fun. If some folks are too insecure to tolerate equally-applied sarcasm (and I am not directing this comment to John), well, again, I have better things to do with my time that tip toe around one or two whiners whose rules are unpublished on this forum.

And I know from PM's that Mike Globe and I are by no means the only ones who feels this way.

Peace.

Since "Bull****" is the word for the day, Bull**** Dave.

Maybe you missed this:

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
A few more thoughts to elaborate

Here's what I wrote again
Dave

You're a very funny guy.

I also gather you're a terrific driver.

Two qualities I value very much.

I also don't mind a good joke or line of any sort, at any time.

But not all the time.

I don't want the humor on our board to center on beastiality or homophobia.

And if you didn't get it from line three above, I do like you, and look forward to meeting you in person some time.

I think Dave is very funny. He's made us laugh frequently. And laughter is what HWFMR is all about.

To elaborate on the above, I have no problem with irreverent, outrageous, or off the wall humor of any kind.

Dave didn't start with the sheep jokes. Bull did in a very funny thread. And we've had a number of really funny riffs on it. No problem. No PC issues.

But over and over again, it becomes old. I know Dave can be funny in other areas besides beastiality and homophobia. Whether they are irreverent and controversial to some or not.

More importantly when John D gave us this sandbox to play in, we discussed what it would be. It was meant to be the kind of humor HWFM always dealt in. Usually centered on track events and our self-deprecating experiences on it, but also broader. And irreverence has certainly always part of it.

But to be sure, John, and I, didn't want it to devolve into what the GR board was like in the end. That was pretty ugly. Andmuch of it centered on homophobia and beastiality.

In no way am I saying we can't rif on controversial subject. We all have throughout the history of this forum.

We just won't center this board on one. And that subject was coming up more and more frequently. I've gotten multiple comments on that.

One thing I love about this board is how inventive humor goes in all kinds of directions here.
And Bill, you're right --the board will sort out the most controversial.

I'm not telling Dave to leave. I'm not telling Dave to stop being irreverent or controversial. I'm not asking Dave to stop being the poorman's Howard Stern. I'm asking Dave to come up with new material.
No, I'm very confident you saw it.

You don't understand the guidelines there?

You don't get the slack I cut you there?

You don't understand the room I gave you to be funny there.

You need an epic list of what is taboo? You're not going to get one.

There isn't one. By the way, no one else seems to need one.
And you're not going to drag this board down to that level of bull****.

I welcomed you back when you started posting here yesterday. Your response was all attitude, and doing your best to pick a fight.

I don't fight with bull****. It gets flushed.

See ya.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

This aint going to end so well.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some more perspective

Someone (unfortunately I don't recall who) had a great analogy about Rennlist. Maybe it will help understand why Rennlist does so well without a bunch of formal rules.

This place is like a neighborhood bar. We all come in from time to time to enjoy the environment. We don't need a bunch of formal rules and, in fact, each forum develops it's own personality.

No occasionally some jerk comes in and starts a fist fight - kind of like the way GhettoRacer came in. We don't need a big sign stating no fighting to know that behavior is not appropriate. We put up with it for a bit, but mostly because he was so bad at it and was amusing in his attempts to fight the entire bar.

We have some fun. Sometimes we throw peanuts at each other. Sometimes we throw paper coasters too. Sometimes we throw stuff that we shouldn't throw and the bar owner or the bouncers rap us on the knuckles and tell us to stop that. I have personally had my knuckles whacked a couple of times - I have apologized and adjusted my behavior in the bar THAT I DO NOT OWN.

Sometimes someone throws peanuts and it is a fun little game. But then they keep throwing peanuts all night long each and every time they come into the bar. It get annoying and changes the personality of the bar to something the owner does not want. Now the owner and his bouncers should not even be bothered with trying to write rules that define how often and how many peanuts you can throw. But it is appropriate to tell the person they are tossing too many and they should back off.

Most of us who have been around Rennlist for a long time have seen this adjustment and respond when we are the offending party. Just because part of the patrons think it is still funny to keep throwing peanuts does not make it right.

We exist as a social structure with fuzzy rules, just like most of society. We co-exist by constantly redefining the rules with a general understanding. That is what we are really talking about here. If someone feels they need firm and clear rules, then clearly Rennlist is not the right place for that.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
This aint going to end so well.
I think that's the first "truth" said in this thread so far...

I'll keep reading the other replies after this one, tho'.... Which I have yet to read... So far - three posts read - one person "out"....

Have a nice evening,

John
Old 02-16-2008, 07:51 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by mglobe
Sorry, John, but that's bull crap.
Let me make this perfectly clear......

So - you are saying that someone who has a physical/mental handicap IS FAIR GAME?

I call BULL**** ON YOU. If you believe that - then - Rennlist is not for you.

You want me to vent? I dare you - but, frankly - this is ****ing bull****. VR has some time out. Frankly - if folks want to **** over people who are less fortunate - I'll take them on...

And to you? I'll call bull crap right back at you...

Want to debate it in public or private.

Your choice.

John
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 PM
John D.
Banned

And now allow me the right to expand on this point... As I am pissed - in case you didn't guess...

Ever hold a 40 pound body in your hands as they died? If you did - tell me - is it OK to make fun of them? Read on...

In case you DO NOT KNOW - VR Figured it was OK to make fun/joke about someone who was less fortunate. In that/his case - it was someone related to another person in this Forum.

So - here you go..... Here is food for you - flame on... I dare you.....

I have 80+ kids somewhere in Haiti. Some of them are terminal (chance 1). Make your jokes. Most have no parents(chance 2). They are riddled with worms(chance 3), they don't eat meat(chance 4) - they can't afford meat(chance 5). Make your "jokes"....

Others have swollen tissue (chance 6) - as I can not afford simple aspirin in Haiti. Go ahead again - make your silly jokes. These kids have nothing (chance 7)...

Yet - you defend VR in saying someone who has difficulty - is fair game for jokes/insults is OK on Rennlist..?? Help me with that....

Here you go......

I also have 1200+ kids who have no hope of a future. About 1/4 of them have medical problems - including AIDS (chance 8), dysentery (chance 9), Dengue fever (chance 10), malaria (chance 11)...

Take your best shot at anyone who has those "chances".. I dare you... BUT - if you do.....

You will come with me to Haiti - hold a small body in your hands as they die in your hands - and you look at me then - and tell me making "JOKES" about all this is "FUN" (chance 12)

As for my childhood friend - yea - it's what I do. He died (chance 13 <---Unlucky number - huh???).

Have a nice night...

John
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These tears are NOT being shead in jest.

I am truly sorry for your loss/es John. I think God for you and people like you who, unselfishly, give so much. I can only imagine the depth of your sorrow and your joy.

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
John D.
Banned

Hey Randy,

My thanks.... I mean that. Below you will find a couple of links to pics... The first one made it. He was diagnosed in Haiti, and had parasites - the bloat - and had mental complications. He's a success - not to my credit - but to his. Today, he is doing well, and hopes to go to school (the 7th grade).

Those - I look at "successes"... This is him - one of my guys...

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea.../abb.sized.jpg

The picture below? This guy didn't make it. He was beat to death by his step-mom. I still remember the day I took this pic. He was hiding food, and had scars all over his body. Without details of his passing...

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennea.../aab.sized.jpg

I guess - in my view..? All we do is what we can just - do.. And we do what we do, for whatever.. Not for credit or accolades - but just because we "can". You would do the same. I know many would...

For that - I think you know - and appreciate - why I have such a disregard for others who want to trivialize those less fortunate. Given the same circumstances, my guess - they would "just do" as well. No mockery. No jokes. No ribbing about those who are afflicted.

And nope - I can't win every battle for life (see the above pics/post - where I this week lost a wonderful friend, but as well - many of my kids..) - but - I can and will challenge those who don't understand the difference between "fun" and "real life"...

That, is what I do as well...

And yep - just as a Postscript to this?? Mike and Mark are right on target with their reply..... Read this post again to know why...

That's all there is - there is no more...

Randy - again, my thanks.... More than you may know. But - I suspect you do know...

John
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure everybody knows that I've tried to stay neutral in at least this conflict that has reared its ugly head. The only solution I see in sight is to think twice before you post things. There ARE rules to Rennlist -- did you all not read them when you initially signed up? I did. I will not take sides, but I will abide by the rules. I am not into power trips, but as Sunday pointed out, we have been entrusted to help JohnD make sure the rules he set forth are followed. If you want a forum with no rules, where you can do and say whatever you want, I suggest you get one of your own. But I don't think this is necessary . . . we have had so much fun here in the past. Why let a simple misunderstanding stand between us?

This is so much like the Civil War . . . "Divide and counquer." Blah. I don't like to fight, and I refuse to. I hope you all work this out. I miss my Rennlist buddies.

Quick Reply: John D.