Notices

A short story only you folks could appreciate...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

SML-

I just bought one and had it installed by my race shop. I've used it twice, once at Blackhawk and once at Daytona. I found that it does an excellent job of documenting not only just exactly how slow I am, but also why!

I will say this- the manual is poorly written and does a poor job of actually explaining how to use the system. In addition, the software is not exactly intuitive. I've farted around with it enough to get it working, and to use it to learn, especially at Daytona. Do you have it hardwired to the electrical system? If so, note that every time you turn the car off you end a session, and have to go through the startup procedure again (pita at Daytona, start unit in garage, drive to grid, shut down to wait, have to reboot again, end up with multiple sessions on the unit). Remember to hit the green button at start-finish the first time out. You can then name the track in the software (don't ask me how- don't remember). My opinion is that for $1K, this is a lot of technology that works great, eliminates the damned beacon, and is dead-nuts on with PCA race timing. I love the thing- I just need to figure out the rest of how to use it. We need some power users to weigh in, and to share sessions at tracks that we run so that we can learn how to get faster. My two cents.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Forgive me as I am an occassional lurker and in no way qualified to belong to such an asteemed group but I thought you might be able to relate to my recent experience.
Sounds like the day I was video taping all my track sessions. Well, at least I thought I was. I must not have pressed the button hard enough on the camcorder remote before the first session. I ended up with hours of video of people walking back and forth in front of my car in the garage. Turns out I was turning the camcorder on when parking, and off when heading out on track.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Sounds like the day I was video taping all my track sessions. Well, at least I thought I was. I must not have pressed the button hard enough on the camcorder remote before the first session. I ended up with hours of video of people walking back and forth in front of my car in the garage. Turns out I was turning the camcorder on when parking, and off when heading out on track.
Well, if it is true confessions day......

I did the exact same thing a few years back at Mosport. I ran the "Tower"/control operations for our Region back then and would park between sessions at the base of the Tower building with the camera pointed at the Staging crew. Had hours of run groups staging and then being released onto the track, punctuated by me occasionally climbing in the car, getting belted in, putting on my helmet and gloves and then shutting off the camera....followed by the camera coming on , then me undoing harnesses, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

this one time....at band camp.............

Quick Reply: A short story only you folks could appreciate...