Notices

The official HWFMR uninspired droving video thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe posting that particular movie clip WAS a comment on your droving????

Any cinematic critic knows that a really good movie has to have Clint Eastwood and some animal that looks like GR in it!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Maybe posting that particular movie clip WAS a comment on your droving????

Any cinematic critic knows that a really good movie has to have Clint Eastwood and some animal that looks like GR in it!
Intall a center rear view mirror in a formula car one time so you can check you hair just after the race and look at all the grief I get.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Where you in Blue with me? I was glad to see I wasn't one of the snails....

You really want to waste a click? I think you need THIS soundtrack for your video!
oww.....owww
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Seriously, You've never seen the movie Stroker Ace??
Seriously,....no.

Hopefully the next vid I post will have a better picture, improved sound so you can hear the engine, and faster droving.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Holy Flat Track, where is my Dramamine??? You will be noticeably faster with tires that are not square. And, most people don't have the nerve to drive straight toward a nuclear blast!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe next time don't take the mini-van
Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

What kind of mount are you using? Is it a piece of duct tape connecting the camera to the rear glass or perhaps a bungee? J/K. I am pretty impressed with the suction cup mounts - The Gripper which is so strong it could probably serve as a tow point. I suction my cam to the rear side glass on the 997 and there is very little vibration as seen in my sig video
Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I was using a small bullet type camera made by Oregon Scientific, mounted to a suction mount for a portable GPS. There was just too much play in the mount and the connection to between the camera and the mount. To make matters worse, the second run I tried using this rig, it fell off the back window. I've got footage of the carpet in the back as it rolls around.

The poor exposure is probably due to the fact that I mounted the camera on the back window so I could see my hands. I think the camera adjusted to the ambient light inside the car, giving the thermonuclear blast appearance.

The music (Albert King fwiw) covers the terrible sound of the camera's audio system being overloaded.

The slow driving? Well this is HWFMR, and it was the first time I've driven MSR. Oh yeah, and I never ever claimed I was fast.

Thanks for the tip on The Gripper. I'm going to order one.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Caution, content alarm!) Check with the groups you drove with. Some, such as the one I do most of my droving with, do not allow suction cup mounts. (content over, back to the thread that is already in progress)
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kurt M
(Caution, content alarm!) Check with the groups you drove with. Some, such as the one I do most of my droving with, do not allow suction cup mounts. (content over, back to the thread that is already in progress)
No suction cup mounts allowed were I run either.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I'd offer to post my most recent track video that I just took at Seattle, with my brand new Sony HD handicam with the fancy hard drive recording instead of tapes, with the super long-life battery, except all I got was about 4.5 hours of my car sitting in the paddock parked.

Seems that when I installed the camera, I accidentally turned it on, and every time I turned it "on" to head out on track, I was really turning it off.

*sigh*

But you REALLY have never seen such high-quality parked-car videos in your life...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgrant
I'd offer to post my most recent track video that I just took at Seattle, with my brand new Sony HD handicam with the fancy hard drive recording instead of tapes, with the super long-life battery, except all I got was about 4.5 hours of my car sitting in the paddock parked.

Seems that when I installed the camera, I accidentally turned it on, and every time I turned it "on" to head out on track, I was really turning it off.

*sigh*

But you REALLY have never seen such high-quality parked-car videos in your life...
Are you applying for team videographer?

You know, in keeping with the title of this thread, you really should post some of that video. I may have to go back and get some of the video shot when my camera mount came loose and rolled around on the floor of my car.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 787 Posts

*sigh*

Post of the month.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:12 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I'm now taking an hour of it and turning it into a 3 minute time lapse... which, actually, is turning out quite interesting. I'll post when it's done.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm now taking an hour of it and turning it into a 3 minute time lapse... which, actually, is turning out quite interesting. I'll post when it's done.

You may have saved yourself some frustration! Recently (last Christmas?) my wife went forth to buy me a surprise gift of the latest and greatest video camera. She was talked into one of the then most recent hard drive cameras. It drove me nuts for several events as I found that the combination of the hard mount to the roll cage and the stiff car suspension caused the hard drive to shut down before I ever exited the garages at each event. We tried softening the mounting, etc. with no solution. So, I now use that rather expensive hard drive camera in its alternative recording mode, which is using SD cards and changing them out every 30-40 mins of record time.

BTW, I once recorded the paddock at Mosport for an entire afternoon by doing the same trick that you pulled....great video of the staging area actually, with me jumping in the car and buckling in, then revving up the car, putting it in gear and reaching back and shutting off the camera......followed by the car car sitting in the same spot as the camera is turned on, I unbuckle and step out of the cage!

Quick Reply: The official HWFMR uninspired droving video thread