Notices

I wouldn't dare ask this in the racing forum........

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I wouldn't dare ask this in the racing forum........

by since we are between "friends"......

What is the process of getting involved with PCA club racing?

I have read the rules and regulations, but how did you get started?

Thanks......

P.S. I know that I have been doing DE for less than 1 year, but I think I am going to go for a check out ride in Black in a couple of weeks....
What is the worst thing that can happen?.....
Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You die??? For others it might be that you are maimed? Maybe just scarred psychologically?

Anyway, the process as I know it is to prepare an app., have a CI sign-off, saying that you are ready to be a CR participant, get a physical completed, apply for an event, be accepted, have your car pass the Scruts/tech and get a log book, attend the Rookie meeting(s), put the big X on your rear bumper, then go "race".

Could be missing something as I have never been involved in PCA racing, but it likely isn't that different from sanctioning bodies I have been involved with over the years.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
You die??? For others it might be that you are maimed? Maybe just scarred psychologically?
Oh, I love it......... Bull the eternal optimist......

Thanks for your response.....

Any pointers for my Black checkout ride?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Oh, I love it......... Bull the eternal optimist......

Thanks for your response.....

Any pointers for my Black checkout ride?
Optimist???? YOU asked "what is the worst thing that can happen"? Just rying to be responsive.

Check out ride is simple. Drive the best that you can....not the fastest, the best. Show track awareness and courtesy, and don't scare the CI.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Will do Bull, thanks......

What is the main difference between a White and Black run group driver?

Hope to ride with you one day....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Will do Bull, thanks......

What is the main difference between a White and Black run group driver?

Hope to ride with you one day....
In our Region, where White is the first solo group and people tend to stay there a while as there is little room in Black and Red, there is a BIG difference in driving ability and experience amongst some drivers. There are also some who seem to let that "I don't need an Instructor now so I know it ALL now" thinking slip in. Also, the new white group drivers don't have much experience getting out of trouble on their own, without that voice from the right seat. Black is a group of very experienced drivers in our Region, with many equal to the Red/Instructor drivers, but not wanting to make the move to Instructor.

In short, it is seat time and experience that is the difference. Those elements manifest themselves in very good track awareness and the ability to overcome "aw ****s" and drive most anywhere on the track for most in Black.

Happy to have you jump in anytime we end up at a track together.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

In short, it is seat time and experience that is the difference. Those elements manifest themselves in very good track awareness and the ability to overcome "aw ****s" and drive most anywhere on the track for most in Black.

Happy to have you jump in anytime we end up at a track together.
Grazie Bull....

Looking forward to a ride in your car and to also have you come in mine for a little "constructive criticism"......
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

by since we are between "friends"......

What is the process of getting involved with PCA club racing?

I have read the rules and regulations, but how did you get started?

Thanks......

P.S. I know that I have been doing DE for less than 1 year, but I think I am going to go for a check out ride in Black in a couple of weeks....
What is the worst thing that can happen?.....
As Bull said all you have to do is secure your CI's recommendation for your license. Then its some paperwork, a physical, and a short phone interview with Susan Shire from PCA. Then you attend a PCA race weekend, and go through the rookie program.

You should look at your lap times and compare them to the E class lap times here: http://www.pca.org/clubrace/2007_results/index.htm

If you're within 5 seconds of your class leaders then you're probably ready to think about racing. You also want to make sure you have good track awareness, and can drive the line without thinking about it.

Some people will tell you that you need 50+ DE days before you start racing. Some drivers might, but others don't. If you can do the things mentioned above, then you might as well go racing if you want to. Sure, you still have a lot to learn, but you can learn them while racing. That way you'll simultaneously be learning race craft, something you'll never learn in DE.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know there will be disagreement with this.....but I believe that no matter how much you listen at sessions with Coaches, Schools and Fools, you can't really learn "race craft" without getting out there and doing it.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there will be disagreement with this.....but I believe that no matter how much you listen at sessions with Coaches, Schools and Fools, you can't really learn "race craft" without getting out there and doing it.
No disagreement here. Race craft can only be learned, and most of it is innate to begin with. It is that split second decision that tells you that you can make down the inside with 2 wheels in the grass. No way can this be coached.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
No disagreement here. Race craft can only be learned, and most of it is innate to begin with. It is that split second decision that tells you that you can make down the inside with 2 wheels in the grass. No way can this be coached.
Yes, when someone would ask "how do you know when THAT will work", it was always difficult to answer no matter what "THAT" was. It sounded too cocky to say "I don't, I just make it work".....so I said "experience".
Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

In my race school last year first thing instructor said was if you have to think about your driving you shouldn't be racing. Pretty good advice. Driving fast and racing are completely different activities, only way to understand this is too run a race or two.
Phil
Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Paolo, a couple of additional thoughts:

1) Do the NASA race school. It is very good prep and gives you a pretty good idea of what you're getting into. They do some great exercises like having you drive side by side with a partner car all the way around a track, alternating passes in corners, standing starts, rolling starts, restarts, etc. I found it very helpful...and you'll get your NASA rookie license at the same time which means more races to choose from . With PCA, you'll have your classroom session and then you're off into the fray.

2) Think about which race you want to start with in PCA or maybe NASA. I did mine at WG with PCA because I know the track well and felt comfortable that I had explored every corner driving off line, know which corners I can push and which I need to be more safe with, etc. The only downside was the number of cars - I think there were close to 60 in my run group.

3) The key is what was said before, awareness. Crazy sh*t you could never imagine will happen in the race and you have to be able to react to it without thinking. Forget about this nonsense of a car being by your door at turn in and they own the corner, racing room, blah, blah, blah. People do weird stuff to gain a position and you have to be able to react. That also means you need to be able to drive without visual reference points. It's pretty hard to be looking for a crack in the pavement as a braking marker when you have a guy on your inside and you've got to be looking in your mirror to decide if you're going to close the door or not.

4) One big plus for starting with PCA is the rookie mentor. I was assigned Bill Richter for my rookie race and he was very helpful. Both in terms of navigating the flow of the weekend, but also giving me very helpful race tips and the inside scoop of what happens on the track. Big help.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SCCA race instructor was disappointed with my performance. He said something about how I wasn't aggressive enough. I didn't understand that comment, so he added that I hadn't even so much as spun the whole weekend yet. Lucky for him, I cut a tire down approaching a hard left hander and went straight off into the stickers. He signed me off fifteen minutes later. That was a weird day.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard a few guys make comments about not finding your limits unless you spin. I never have really went along with that line of thinking. I got the chance to chat with Randy Pobst at Barber and his words were" A spin is just an accident without hitting something."

I thought that put into perspective.

Quick Reply: I wouldn't dare ask this in the racing forum........