HWFMR app for considration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HWFMR app for considration.

Mike in Chi. How do I apply for a HWFMR slot? Thought about it a while ago but was too slow to do it and Hoffman912 hooked the 912 slot. What the hell, got beat by another 912...

Posable HWFMR credentials so far.

I have been driving a 1969 912 on track for 8 long slow years, 6 in the instructors groups.

My benchmark of good instructing is eventually getting passed on track by my students.

My Pep boys are not Manny Mo and Jack but Mo Men and Tum.

"Is this #@$%# thing even running?" is my mantra and even more so coming out of the Toe of the Boot at the Glen

I don't need no stinkin' middle pedal. I got over 3 full years on a set of brake pads. There was still meat on them when I finally pulled them because the backing plates were getting so rusty they were sticking.

I was almost black flagged at Mid Ohio after it was noted by the Brass at pit straight that my brake lights were not working. Someone had the idea to have a flagger check if they were working at the end of the back straight and sure enough the lights would flicker on for a second or so. When I came in I had to explain that the intermittent brake light failure was the brake pedal not being pushed.

My track car is the lowest HP car I own and that is taking into consideration that I have a crumb laden Dodge mini-van with a stylish but oh so ubiquitous after-market aerokit called a dent in the pass side sliding door. (my wife had it installed as a birthday gift)

The bumper sticker on my 912 says " Don't laugh my other car is a smokin' mini van."

On the down side I am Haiku challenged for some reason.

On the up side I have a habit of fixing broken track cars with stuff found lying around in the paddock. Got room for a low rent track wrench? Proper title, if accepted by the HWFMR body politic open for consideration...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

An excellent application, first posted on another thread.

But of course, I seek the counsel of my fellow teammates.

I do like the potential team function -- every track wrench I'be known has been anything but low rent.

Comments from the team?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 AM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm not a member but I vote yes! I'm working on my application. Do I need references? I think Cooleyjb is the only one that might vouch for me.

Does the HWFMR organization (if you can call it that) establish call signs?

In the flying world, one 'obtains' a call sign from an earlier incident. Mine was Zaps. I will never divuldge how I got it.

Other call signs: Two dogs, Chicken Hawk, Psyco, Stubbs, Mo (his last name was Lester), Bo (last name was Tie), Beaker (you can figure that one out), Mongo ( he was a national champion power lifter).
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I dunno. Good application, but it sounds like Kurt's car is slow, but he actually has some talent. I think we need some evidence of ineptitude. The team could certainly use a Mr Cheap-wrench though.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968iniraq
In the flying world, one 'obtains' a call sign from an earlier incident. Mine was Zaps. I will never divuldge how I got it.

***Eheh . . .Air Force eh? I have contacts. I can find out (and think I may already know) why you got nicked that.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned a '67 912 in '68, this app intrigues me. The single outstanding attribute of the car is that it made a 2.0L 911 feel unholy FAST when I bought a '68 911 in '69!

Anyway, I too would need to hear more about the demonstrated abilities of the DRIVER in order to consider his qualifications. Getting three full years from a set of brake pads and being suspected of not having brake lights is hardly encouraging....are you fighting slowness?????

Mr. Cheap Wrench does have a nice sound to it though.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:31 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm with Bob, though no HWFMR member myself - I could sign up to half of these myself! Took me a good 4 years to go through my first set of pads, and I don't think I've touched my rears in 8 seasons of racing... I also don't touch the brake going into 1 at Mid-O, I'd say that's a sign of skill rather than slowness! And my minivan/tow vehicle also blows the doors off my racecar, along with all the other turbos in the driveway; last dyno run my racecar struggled to break 100 rwhp.

I've even been called out - by Colorchange, while analyzing my data from Mid-O - for not getting on the gas coming out of 1 to the Keyhole! I had to point out just how little oomph 2.0L I4's get above 70mph... Apparently 0.10g or less of acceleration uphill could be just noise in the data... LOL

I agree, need to hear more about getting passed by students and other such embarrassments...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Wait . . . I wanna hear about his most embarrassing moment first. That's always fun to hear about! Recall, I backed up into the hot pits when I got black flagged as a novice many years ago. He's gotta top that one.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 968iniraq

That sounds like a challenge to me. I just might have to do some digging. Now, who should I get a hold of first is the question...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And just what is "considration"??????
Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Zaps, you aren't a FTE are ya? Lol.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bonster
Wait . . . I wanna hear about his most embarrassing moment first. That's always fun to hear about! Recall, I backed up into the hot pits when I got black flagged as a novice many years ago. He's gotta top that one.
Don't forget your most proudest moment...

Also, have you ever spun???
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M

My track car is the lowest HP car I own and that is taking into consideration that I have a crumb laden Dodge mini-van

On the down side I am Haiku challenged for some reason.
I was on the fence until I saw that you own a Dodge minivan. I own a transmission repair shop and I LOVE Dodge minivans, so I think you are good to go.

We can coach you on Haiku.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

We teach Kurt Haiku
This will be a funny time
To watch him try it
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Kurt, you have many posts here seeking responses

968, our team functions are like call signs, but we could have those too.
And if you apply, special consideration will be given to a man in military uniform, since the american military is the only organization that responsible for more humor than HWFMR. (Ad thank you for your service--be safe)

Quick Reply: HWFMR app for considration.