Notices

Let's have a civil conversation about racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Sadly, I have not raced at all this year, so far. Mostly, this is due to the baby, and partly due to not pimping for the $$$ it takes to race, or for a co-drive with a friend.

I hope that the 6 hour SCCA enduro we usually have here in Texas n November will be moved back to TWS this year, so I can co-drive in my friend's SRF again like we did in 2005. Most fun I have ever had racing! If that doesn't work, I have several co-drive offers for the BMW club Oktoberfest races at MSR in 2 months. I guess I might need to renew that particular licens, which I let lapse.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:29 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sadly, I have not raced at all this year, so far. Mostly, this is due to the baby, and partly due to not pimping for the $$$ it takes to race, or for a co-drive with a friend.

I hoep that the 6 hour SCCA enduro we usually have here in Texas n November will be moved back to TWS this year, so I can co-drive in my friend's SRF again like we did in 2005. Most fun I have ever had racing! If that doesn't work, I have several co-drive offers for the BMW club Oktoberfest races at MSR in 2 months. I guess I might need to renew that particular licens, which I let lapse.
You left out that you might be driving a Honduh deathtrap soon
Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oh, yeah. Well, I guess the chances of that actually happening are pretty low, but if it happens, it happens. It will be sad to see the gerbil raper have to leave for that lonely, expensive drive all the way back to the Left Coast, with nothing but time to contemplate that he was skunked by 5 seconds in his own car.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Oh, yeah. Well, I guess the chances of that actually happening are pretty low, but if it happens, it happens. It will be sad to see the gerbil raper have to leave for that lonely, expensive drive all the way back to the Left Coast, with nothing but time to contemplate that he was skunked by 5 seconds in his own car.
I am still laughing about the fact that you spun him into accepting this whole thing!! It's such a lose-lose for him, especially with all the safe guards you built in....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
I am still laughing about the fact that you spun him into accepting this whole thing!! It's such a lose-lose for him, especially with all the safe guards you built in....

He is not the sharpest spoon in the fork drawer.

I also predict he will cheat like mad, if he actually shows up, which I rate at at a 25% chance, at best. He'll put 55 lbs of pressure in the tires just before I go out, he'll **** with the shock settings, he'll jack with the swaybars, etc.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR, are saying that he might not be trustworthy? Shocking.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

I also predict he will cheat like mad, if he actually shows up, which I rate at at a 25% chance, at best. He'll put 55 lbs of pressure in the tires just before I go out, he'll **** with the shock settings, he'll jack with the swaybars, etc.
Just make sure the piece of junk is safe...remember how he is talking about mismatched wheels, worn out brakes, etc
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Had my first race at the Glen and did okay (mid pack) in G but learned a ton. Been really working on my times at the Glen since then and so far have shed 2.5 seconds from my best time in that race and consistently running 2-3 seconds better than my consistent times in the race. Still 5 seconds off Mike I's crazy fast 2:13 but only a second or so from the podium times and feel like I can get there by next year's race.

Have my second race weekend tomorrow and Saturday with NASA at Lime Rock (first time with NASA). Not many days at LRP this year so not sure what to expect but my times everywhere are getting better, especially after moving to Hoosiers. Going to try for a 1:03xx at LRP while my best time there is a 1:04.5.

Not sure I have the car setup right yet though. Going back to Dan J. for most of August to get some things done and try and get closer to the pack leaders. I know I'm behind in driving skill and car setup right now (not so much suspension as engine and exhaust). Also going to get some good instruction at LRP later this month from a Rennlister and former G star so looking for some more improvement then.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
Just make sure the piece of junk is safe...remember how he is talking about mismatched wheels, worn out brakes, etc

Wow, an EXCELLENT point. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Still 5 seconds off Mike I's crazy fast 2:13 ...
That's ok Sean, a lot of guys in F and even E are 5 seconds off that pace, but the good news for you is he sold that G car

Guy I know in Chicago bought it.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
That's ok Sean, a lot of guys in F and even E are 5 seconds off that pace, but the good news for you is he sold that G car

Guy I know in Chicago bought it.
The better news is that he moved to a cup car and not a different G or F car.

How good a driver is the guy who bought the car?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
weneversleep
Racer

I'm still a DE student. I did a few events this spring, including driving MSR-Cresson for the first time with BMWCCA. But, most of the events were at TWS with Driver's Edge or LSRPCA.

My big accomplishment was that I was promoted to the Yellow group (TDE and LSRPCA). I'm still proud of that. And, I didn't even ask to be promoted; other instructors told me I should take a check ride. Of course, I always wanted to move up, but I didn't want to appear cocky, like so many other people.

I also switched track cars: from an AP2 S2000 to an E36 M3. The M3 is just a better track car (and it's marginally cheaper if I stuff it into the wall!). Today, in fact, I'm ordering a whole load of mostly suspension parts to tighten up the M3, and give me a little more camber so that I don't ruin the sidewalls of tires every time I go out on the track. I'm also going to finally go to R-compound tires, because I can't even finish a session anymore without overheating street tires. (I purposely waited as long as I could before going to race tires, and it's now time.)

For a while, I was planning on turning the M3 into a BMWCCA I-Prepared car. But, I decided that I'm going to do DEs for another year, work to get promoted to the top advanced run group, and then go do a race school next fall. I'm now thinking about building a Spec E36 car, once that class starts to get more people running. Sounds like a relatively cheap and fun way to get started racing.

--michael
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Just started racing PCA, but has tons of track time at Autobahn Country Club.

He's a talented drover, and since he was pressing me in his F car, I'm glad he went to the G car
Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll smoke with you with pure skills son. I'll be keeping my eyes on you all day long to keep you from doing shady things. You ****ing coward cheating lying bastard you know damn well the only way you can cover the 5 sec. is if you cheat. You must've been smoking a good joint when you came up with the challenge thinking you can smoke me by 5. All you've gonna smoke is some chronic son.

This is your dumb ***:

Pass the joint fool.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neener neener

Quick Reply: Let's have a civil conversation about racing