It's on! GR vs. VR @ TWS in Sept/07!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Woot! You're really tempting me, Mike! Do they ask you how much experience you have? I worry that they'll charge me more if I tell them I have a race license. Shoot, I deleted Adrienne's email when I thought I'd go to Daytona instead. Do you have that link again? It's a long haul, but if you (Martini Mike) promise to make John your famous concoction, I'm sure I can talk him into it. We area talking about the October event, right?

Hey Dave .. . you know how you said you'd help me learn the line? Will you fit in a Miata? Or do we need to do lead-follows?

You can register at www.clubregistration.net

They're willing to rent a Miata to me so my 18yo daughter can drive. I'd think they would rent to you. GR on the other hand...
Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've known Dave a litlte longer, and I'm not your average 'student.' I am a licensed racecar driver that has never been to TWS. All I really need is a lead-follow and maybe a download session or two. But I'll ride along with just about anybody -- as an instructor myself, I'm kinda used to it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Mike, for the URL and for the rental info. That is very encouraging. Even though I am overweight as of recent, I am still much smaller than the average male, so hopefully they'll help me out. I have a 'pillow' at John's house that I used at Sebring, perhaps that will work in the rental SMs as well. At least I'll be in a familiar car. I still won't be able to pass Dave.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 863 Posts

Bonni, we can do lead & follow, no problem. I'll just keep my M3 in 3rd gear the entire lap.

Bill, poopie. So I won't be able to pick on you next month at TWS.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Are there any decent motels in College Station? I gotta firm this up in the next couple of days. We made a decent profit for this week's track event, so it's looking like I'll be able to afford it after all. Woot! Get your martini shaker ready, Mike. John's gonna be hanging out at your trailer a lot, I have a feeling.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Define "decent". There is a very nice Courtyard Marriott about 1.5 miles away, but it's pricey. There is a half decent Best Western nearby, and also a few older, tired motels that track rats also use. One is called thw Manor House, but is usually referred to as the Manure Hole.

Lots of motels within 6 miles, up near the university.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a Fairfield Inn that is fairly new nothing fancy but better that the Manor house, Indoors pool…
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Decent to me would be a motel that has stuff like fridge, microwave, hair dryer, etc. I don't like roaches and I hate paper-thin walls. I'm willing to spend up to $100 a night, but I prefer to not go over $70. We'd want a queen bed, as John is 6-2 and not small by any means. Oh yeah, I want a working AC. If the humidty is anything like Florida, the AC is a MUST. Does that define my needs well enough? I mean, I can handle the typical track rat joint, but being a chick, I do like my minor luxuries.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm . . . I'll look into the Fairfield Inn . . . how far is it from the track? I'm going to Google it -- is it in CS?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, I've emailed TWS about the SM rental. I looked at http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/areahotels.htm and found lots of motels, but none of them have links, darn it. I signed up with the registration service, but have not submitted payment yet as I'm waiting to see how much the rental car will be for sure. Then, of course, I have to clear it with 'the man.' Then (gasp) I have to book my flight, which I do through John as he gets a bit of a discount. So this is looking more and more like it'll happen. Thanks guys!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I almost forgot to tell you guys . . . John has been hinting at driving too! This would be his first time on the track -- I wonder how he'll do. He already seems to understand the concepts pretty well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bon: I highly recommend staying at the Clarion when you come to TWS. Not that it's a super-nice hotel or anything, but it's much better than the Manure House, and it's pretty much the same price. Say you're with the S2000 club, and you'll get a better rate.

BUT, only problem with any hotels in that area that weekend is: there's a Texas A&M home football game that weekend. I know the Manure House has been sold out for months (except for smoking rooms, yuck), and the Clarion only had a couple of rooms left when I booked mine about a month ago. Plus, instead of the ~$60/night rate, it was $109/night, because of the game.

I would recommend going on hotels.com (or your favorite hotel finder site) and seeing what's left. I'm afraid you won't get to be too choosy that weekend. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll at least have A/C anywhere you stay, though.

--michael
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, unless I can find another rental, it looks like I won't be able to go to TWS in October. I asked the guy about his rentals, and at first I got this reply:

"These are not Spec Miatas. They are street tuned but have rollbars, racing seats, five point harnesses and track tires. We offer three sticks and two automatics (we have one stick in the shop for mechanical repairs). They rent for $350 for the weekend or $200 for one day. We deliver them full of fuel and want them returned the same way. We much prefer to rent them to drivers in the green and blue run groups, because of the beating they take"

So I asked him what kind of tires they had, whether they were shaved or not (worrying about if they have full tread RA-1 on a dry track, etc), if there were harnesses on both seats (isn't it a PCA rule that the isntructor side must be equally equipped?), I asked him what size seat (I am not as big as most of the folks they probably rent the car to) and degree layback (to see if I'd reach the steering wheel), and I asked him what kind of roll bar they had in there. These are all obvious safety questions, but it seems to me by this guy's reaction that he doesn't know much about track safety and he doesn't seem to spare any change for a decent track car. Here was his next reply when I asked about the cars:

"I'm sure that you are a very reasonable and responsible person, but I am not comfortable about the questions you have asked about our rental Miatas.

For your information: Rollbar- 4 pt w/ rear bracing. Brand unknown.

Tires- Falken ZIEX's. No, not shaved. No one has ever asked this before and can't imagine why anyone would expect that of a DE rental.

Harness- 5 pt G-Force, both seats

Seat- Kirkey Size and degrees unknown.

Don't know where you are coming from that discourages you from towing your car, but I think I will decline renting to you. Sorry, but your questions suggest that you would "wring it out.""

Okie dokie. I have references and everything, but clearly this guy is expecting my grandmother out for a Sunday drive. Sorry guys, I guess I won't be going.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Wow. That's surprising.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bonni, you're just a beast behind the wheel!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: It's on! GR vs. VR @ TWS in Sept/07!