Notices

"This is my year" April audit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why Spec Miata is so much fun . . . you can't go too fast. Well, usually. I'll try not to make any lap records or bend time. I don't want Mike (the other Mike) to kick me outta HWFMR.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bull
The "general fast & furious consumer/crowd" is not the audience you need to attract in order to do serious pro racing. They won't hire, sponsor, or develop you. The people you need to begin to pay attention to you will look for one thing....RESULTS...and they won't be finding them in those magazines only.

We have a guy in our Club Region who started out doing DEs, lots of them. He then moved up to Club Racing and did very well....in fact, after he won 13 races in succession, he moved on to Porsche Cup racing. In 2002, he finished 1-2 with a guy named Kevin Buckler in the Cup races. That earned him a call from Porsche Motorsports, and they offered him a ride with Buckler and a couple of young guys from Porsche named Bergmeister and Bernhard. His name is Michael Schrom, and if you look it up you will find that he, Buckler, Bernhard and Bergmeister won OVERALL at the 2003 Daytona 24 Hours race. He never attended a "Time Attack"!
that's a good path! that's one thing good about Porsche Club racing is you will often find the connections to go pro... sure beats Honda Club racing, which usually gets you no where. hahaha. maybe I should go get a old P car and race the more affordable classes there. set some track records and that ought to get me noticed more....
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Good luck with that, Frank. Bring your tools! Lol.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
maybe I should go get a old P car and race the more affordable classes there. set some track records....
You say that like it would be an easy thing to do.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

i'm a dreamer, can't you tell jimbo? what is the best affordable spec class for POC/PCA?! 944? might be something for me to think about for 2008.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

by best i mean competitive... so i can test/improve my skills against strong competition.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

i'm a dreamer, can't you tell jimbo? what is the best affordable spec class for POC/PCA?! 944? might be something for me to think about for 2008.
2008? You're supposed to be well into Pro racing by then aren't you? Now that you've missed multiple club races already this year to watch some hack Ferrari Challenge racing, are you moving your timeline back? Planning to start club racing in 2008 and Pro racing in 2030?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

what is the best affordable spec class for POC/PCA?! 944? might be something for me to think about for 2008.
I'm not an expert on the west coast, but I suspect 944-Spec would be your best bet. On the east cost it would be 944 Cup which can also be raced in PCA. If you want extreme competition in a slightly more expensive class its hard to beat PCA F class. They generally get at least 25-35 F cars at the big tracks. F class includes 944 S2's, 944 non-S turbos, 968's, and 80's era 911s. All of these cars can also be raced in NASA GTS, which gives you even more options.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

sure beats Honda Club racing, which usually gets you no where.
In NASA Honda Challenge you havet the opportunity to run for a National Championship. I would think winning that would gain some attention and respect.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

what is your cost breakdown for a weekend in F car usually? how much are the cars?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

i'm a dreamer, can't you tell jimbo? what is the best affordable spec class for POC/PCA?! 944?
No. Please, no.

944s are the work of the devil, avoid them. Save them for us mere mortals.

Stick with Hondas.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

i actually wasn't too impressed with the lap times the 944 Spec in NASA Nor/So Cal are turning. If i recall they're slower than SM! WTH!!! Not sure if it's car prep or drivers. What is the bhp and spec race weight for 944?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

what is your cost breakdown for a weekend in F car usually? how much are the cars?
A turn key competitive F car would probably run about $20 to $25K. Most of the competitive guys bring a new set of Hoosiers to the big races, which typically runs $1K per set. I'd estimate my per race expenses at $1,250 including tires. In addition to that are expenses for gas, travel, and entry fees, which will be the same no matter what you're racing.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

i actually wasn't too impressed with the lap times the 944 Spec in NASA Nor/So Cal are turning. If i recall they're slower than SM! WTH!!! Not sure if it's car prep or drivers. What is the bhp and spec race weight for 944?

If you are caring about laptimes and not about the quality of racing in the class you are competing in you need to reevaluate the whole Honda thing along with a lot of other stuff already on the list.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
I too look forward to Frank's update of his schedule for this year. I would think that he would have a monthly schedule of his committed activities that he has finalized by this point in the year.
When I posted this a week ago, I was looking for specific events and dates so we could watch the progress. Let me be more specific, what are your specific events that you will attend this year?

Separately, I see a lot of posting that would fall into the "planning" stages of a racing effort.....such as asking about cars and classes, etc. It is time for the "implementation" phase of your career, as you have spent many years talking about your future efforts and planning your strategy. You are reminding me of a guy I knew in College (we all knew one I'm sure) who continued to change his major at the eleventh hour, so that he continuously had to circle back and pick up core requirements. At year number 8 he should no signs of ever graduating and actually DOING something.

Quick Reply: "This is my year" April audit