Notices

these things gives touge/mountain driving bad names...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default these things gives touge/mountain driving bad names...

i'm all for spirited driving at a safe but quick face in the mountain when the condition is right.... but going all out or going beyond your skill level is just dumb. when people don't use common sense **** happens... but this gentleman had to pay for it dearly. RIP brother.

i saw it from http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...c,17366.0.html

==================================================

And this is why I don't do canyon runs
« on: Yesterday at 09:08:15 AM »
Original thread here: http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=40349

Taken at Santana Row on Saturday morning:

Taken on Pescadero Creek Road Saturday afternoon:

Police radio log:
Incident: 0999 Type: Possible Fatality Location: 10175 PESCADERO CREEK Zoom Map: 849 2E info as of: 3/24/2007 2:47:14 PM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
1:50PM CONF 1144 (this means the victim died)
1:39PM PER Z3 LOOKS LIKE LIFE FLIGHT IS LANDING AT STANFORD // 1097
1:21PM ACTION TOWING ADVD SENDING FB ETA AREA -- 45 -60 MIN
1:18PM PLS ROLL 1185 (tow truck)
1:14PM WB LANE BLKD (westbound lane blocked)
1:14PM SOLO VEH OFF RD
1:13PM JWO JONES GULCH VALLEY RD
1:07PM LIFE FLIGHT ENRT
12:51PM PER SO VCTM HAS BLOOD COMING FRM NOSE AND EARS / GURGLING
12:49PM 1039 91-S7 (CHP Sgt has been advised)
12:45PM VEH INTO A DITCH / MALE DRIVER APPEARS 1144
12:45PM INJ TC // POSS 1144 (possible fatality)

From what I've read the driver was well-known and had track experience. Of course unlike a track, canyon roads have plenty of off-road hazards, and emergency rescue is much too far away. A sad end for the car and driver. Sad Tisk tisk!

A sobering reminder to be safe out there!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

wow, he seemed like a really cool guy. RIP.

======================================================

To further underscore the point: a poignant post by Luis's (Porsche driver who died) girlfriend: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=144181

I'm not sure how to begin to tell you about what happened to Luis, as this all feels surreal and it's hard for me to believe he's really gone. I can start by saying that Luis loved exotic cars and had an incredible passion for life.

Luis and I went to Santana Row Saturday morning, which turned out to be a great event with a huge turnout. There were lots of friends he hadn't seen in a while and quite a few that he sees on a regular basis so it was the start of a perfect day. We ended up going on a group drive to the coast. Luis and I were at the end of the group…for those who knew Luis, you would know why. We were on a slow moving road, his Black GT3 Porsche was impeccable, so he was going about 5 mph to ensure he didn't get gravel chips…I know, I know, he's given everyone else plenty of "dings" from his sticky race tires  including myself. I learned a long time ago to drive in front of him (but I could never stay in front for very long). Once we got on the good road, Luis passed me (shaking the ground and yes, hurting my ears with his extreme loud exhaust that the car is infamous for). He made a couple of turns and then he was out of my sight. Moments later he was off the road.

Luis was a young 39 and full of life. Luis was VP of a wireless communication company. He had numerous patents, articles written about him and tons of great success stories. Back in the days, he was an Olympic swimmer for Spain and Switzerland. He was passionate about sports and was an extreme skier, snowboarder and tennis player…he was a bit bad at golf though, yet he could hit a golf ball farther than anyone I knew. Luis had 2 Master Degrees from Switzerland, and he spoke 5 fluent languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian and German)…but most importantly, Luis was an extremely sensitive, compassionate, fun loving guy.

I notified Luis' parents yesterday and they are flying out from Spain today to take him home.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the support I've received. It just confirms how much Luis was loved. You'll never know how much you are helping me get through this terrible pain I have, the pain I know you all share. I want to specifically thank those that were with us Saturday (Grace & Kelvin, Anna & Josh, Carolyn & Lyndon, April & Nizam, Susan & Max, Eric, Ajay, Lisa & Kirby and Sal) and supported all my emotions for endless hours and were truly there when I needed you...I don't know how I could have gotten through this without all of you…

Luis…I am so empty without you and miss you terribly, my heart is in so much pain and only time will heal...

And one more thing, I sure hope the Angels have "ear plugs", cuz I can hear you now!!!

May you rest in everlasting peace...I miss you and love you so much,
Gail

Sad
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you dragging "touge" into this tragedy???
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touge

Touge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Touge (峠, tōge?) is a Japanese word literally meaning "pass." It refers to a mountain pass or any of the narrow, winding roads that can be found in and around the mountains of Japan and other geographically similar areas.

Placing a series of turns or bends in the steep roads that provide access to and from the high elevations of the mountains was intended to be a safety measure, usually to prevent commuters from reaching unstable speeds or creating excessive wear on the vehicles associated with them. It is therefore ironic that these same passes have become popular with street racers and motorsport enthusiasts in the last two decades, providing a dangerous and therefore challenging course where nightly competitions are not unheard of.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

We are not in Japan...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

the import tuning segment is ALL about Japan. it's spreading to the European cars too, with VIP tuning. it's a matter of time... the Japanese are taking over.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 AM
LoanWolf
Pro

What does your babbling about the "import tuning segment" have to do with this tragic accident that happened on a pleasure drive?? How about offering some condolences and prayers to the family of Luis?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:39 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

I don't need to say it out in public. My felt it in my heart for Luis and his family. I don't need to express it on the Internet. If Luis is indeed in haven or somewhere, I'm sure he knows how I feel.

His tragic accident happed during a mountain driving/touge session... read the subject. It is clear (or so I thought).
Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
the import tuning segment is ALL about Japan. it's spreading to the European cars too, with VIP tuning.
Import tuning...sounds neat, like something from a movie. Meanwhile, Porsche and BMW owners (and owners of proper Japanese and even American performance cars rather than ratted out econo cars) have been performance tuning their cars since way before the fad of throwing some gaudy wings and stickers on a car and calling it "tuning" came into existence. The whole import tuning, drifting, time attack "scene" is a spec on the timeline of performance cars and driving...it has come and will go.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

According to Wikipedia:

Touge ("too-gay")

In regards to racing . . .

"For touge racing team battling, a race has two stages — an uphill and a downhill battle. One car leads the race during the uphill stage, with the second car leading the downhill. Because most touge races feature narrow tracks, overtaking is extremely difficult and is sometimes impossible.

"The lead car wins if the space between the cars increases considerably, while the following car wins if the gap between them stays the same, decreases from start to finish or the following car overtakes the lead car. If any car spins out or crashes, the other one wins the race.

"Touge races start illegally when one car attempts to overtake another and the car in front will not let the car behind pass and speeds up. Also, in night races, the car behind will flash its headlights and the lead car will then speed up to begin the race."

Regarding common misconceptions . . .

"Stemming from this surge in popularity, the term has been pirated and misused by overzealous enthusiasts (often incorrectly as a verb) to erroneously describe almost any event involving street racing, even when there are no mountain passes involved.

"Another common mistake is the association of drifting with touge, implying at times that the words share a common definition. While drift is considered a style or form of driving, touge does not necessarily have any binding relationship to motorsports. In most occasions, a touge driver only drifts his car to shake off excessive entry speeds. This is because extended drifting will not only cause excessive wear on tyres but can also cause the car to exit a corner much slower than not drifting."

That huge book being posted . . . togue is ILLEGAL on the streets of the United States, so no, the very sad incident Gail recalled about her boyfriend was far from a togue. It was a sad accident. Folks out this way (myself included) knew the guy from Doc Wong runs. He was at a lot of the POC and PRC club days, among others. I wasn't sure if that was him until I saw the car (recognized the number and the NASA sticker -- always chuckled that he left it on permanently on such a nice car). Gail's letter brought a tear to my eye, literally. I can't decide who I feel worse for . . . the fellow who died violently, or the beautiful woman he left behind. This won't soon be forgotten.

So to summarize, don't compare a touge to a club drive. The two are just not the same.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Import tuning . . . on my Spec Miata, that means changing the oil and putting gas in the tank.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again, Bonster very clearly and concisely shows Dung Brains what a shallow, ignorant little bug he is!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Originally Posted by Bonster
According to Wikipedia:

Touge ("too-gay")

"For touge racing team battling, a race has two stages — an uphill and a downhill battle. One car leads the race during the uphill stage, with the second car leading the downhill. Because most touge races feature narrow tracks, overtaking is extremely difficult and is sometimes impossible.

"The lead car wins if the space between the cars increases considerably, while the following car wins if the gap between them stays the same, decreases from start to finish or the following car overtakes the lead car. If any car spins out or crashes, the other one wins the race.

"Touge races start illegally when one car attempts to overtake another and the car in front will not let the car behind pass and speeds up. Also, in night races, the car behind will flash its headlights and the lead car will then speed up to begin the race."

"Stemming from this surge in popularity, the term has been pirated and misused by overzealous enthusiasts (often incorrectly as a verb) to erroneously describe almost any event involving street racing, even when there are no mountain passes involved.

"Another common mistake is the association of drifting with touge, implying at times that the words share a common definition. While drift is considered a style or form of driving, touge does not necessarily have any binding relationship to motorsports. In most occasions, a touge driver only drifts his car to shake off excessive entry speeds. This is because extended drifting will not only cause excessive wear on tyres but can also cause the car to exit a corner much slower than not drifting."

That huge book being posted . . . togue is ILLEGAL on the streets of the United States, so no, the very sad incident Gail recalled about her boyfriend was far from a togue. It was a sad accident. Folks out this way (myself included) knew the guy from Doc Wong runs. He was at a lot of the POC and PRC club days, among others. I wasn't sure if that was him until I saw the car (recognized the number and the NASA sticker -- always chuckled that he left it on permanently on such a nice car). Gail's letter brought a tear to my eye, literally. I can't decide who I feel worse for . . . the fellow who died violently, or the beautiful woman he left behind. This won't soon be forgotten.

So to summarize, don't compare a touge to a club drive. The two are just not the same.

Bonnie,
Thanks for taking the time to clearly express what I wanted to say. I am pretty sure it went right over his head... so far he has been too arrogant and ignorant to even think about any of the advice that is being offered here as is evident from his brain dead ramblings
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bonster
According to Wikipedia:

Touge ("too-gay")

Touge = mountain driving. That's all I was saying. BTW don't you gotta <3 wiki... everybody can write and share their perspective about anything and it is FREE! Technology is great. This is what will bring peace to the world.... exciting times.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Import tuning...sounds neat, like something from a movie. Meanwhile, Porsche and BMW owners (and owners of proper Japanese and even American performance cars rather than ratted out econo cars) have been performance tuning their cars since way before the fad of throwing some gaudy wings and stickers on a car and calling it "tuning" came into existence. The whole import tuning, drifting, time attack "scene" is a spec on the timeline of performance cars and driving...it has come and will go.
Haha, you're so clueless. Go check with SEMA on how big the import tuning industry in $$ value. It went from nothing to billion dollars in about 15 years. Most of the growing are from the last 5. It's so deep into the American culture right now... it's a symbol of the 90's and 00's. MTV in 2010's decade in review will prove me right.

Quick Reply: these things gives touge/mountain driving bad names...