Notices

March 07 Super Street issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, Frank. A good six point from Scroth, Willans, etc., can be had for right around $400 with the FIA (good for five years in road course racing) tags on the shoulder harness. I just bought a new set today (my current set is FIA 2001). So many things to buy, so little money. Racing sure ain't cheap! I spent over $1000 on parts this past weekend. OUCH!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay . . .I took a look at the Takata website where they are selling the harnesses. They are very nice looking, but the thing about only offering four points is in my opinion irresponsible. The cam lock doesn't even have a way to add a fifth or sixth point later on. I can see using these for autocross, but clearly they were not made for road course racing.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

It's a smart thing for them to do... I'm sure they are making a killing. That's why they sponsor a Super GT/JGTC NSX. You have to remember, NOT everybody is going to become a pro racer or even a weekend warrior. They might only do track days 2 or 3 weekends a year. But they still want what (they perceived to be) is hot...

In Japan, they actually DO have lot of weekend racers who just wants to have fun. FET in Japan sells a not of non FIA sticker'ed gloves and shoes... they are actually the SAME exact shoes as FIA spec. But with out the sticker they do not have to pay the license fee so you can buy the same stuff for a lot less. It works fine for people who are just going to DE/open track days... I'm not sure if the USA has the same stuff... some of the non-FIA labeled Puma shoes for example, does seem like the real thing...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Yeah... it's SOOO much better to look cool than to be safe. After all, that's what harnesses are for, right?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, Frank did not actually support the Takata belts, right? It seems that even Frank -- someone that many of you don't respect -- was smart enough to use the OEM 3-point harness as opposed to a harness with no sub straps. Good idea, Frank! You could have lost your innards if you'd hit a wall. Yuck.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Hey, it's not my car, I just drive it. ^_^ In many DE days, I've chosen stock belts over poorly installed "racing harness"...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
Hey, it's not my car, I just drive it. ^_^ In many DE days, I've chosen stock belts over poorly installed "racing harness"...
That's the first smart thing I think I've seen you post. Congrats!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

wow, i'm one tiny step closer to becoming ghetto sapian! w00 h00.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

What's a 'ghetto sapian'? Are you saying you are a homosapian that lives in the ghetto? I don't know anybody from the ghetto that can afford two cars and a trip to Japan.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Well, Frank did not actually support the Takata belts, right? It seems that even Frank -- someone that many of you don't respect -- was smart enough to use the OEM 3-point harness as opposed to a harness with no sub straps. Good idea, Frank! You could have lost your innards if you'd hit a wall. Yuck.
He didn't show any more smarts, nor make any choice, other than to use what the organizers of the events require before he is allowed on track. Any group that would allow a driver to use 4-point belts should be avoided like the Dung Piler.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, we don't allow four points in our group. Either you have five minimum points or you use the stockers. We are also starting to crack down on folks using harnesses with stock seats. Granted, some stock seats do work, but we mark the cars with those that don't so that they can be checked in the hot pits before they go out. It probably sounds harsh, but a harness won't work if it slides off the side of the seat, will it? Safety is an ever-evolving aspect of running a DE group.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Yeah, we don't allow four points in our group. Either you have five minimum points or you use the stockers. We are also starting to crack down on folks using harnesses with stock seats. Granted, some stock seats do work, but we mark the cars with those that don't so that they can be checked in the hot pits before they go out. It probably sounds harsh, but a harness won't work if it slides off the side of the seat, will it? Safety is an ever-evolving aspect of running a DE group.
Actually, the harness, after sliding off of your shoulders, will still function....it will hold your arms back so that you can fire forward like a missile, leading with your face and chest!

No harnesses without proper seats with guide holes for the shoulders and subs in our Region for a couple of seasons now.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I think you are right, Bob. We are starting to enforce no harnesses without proper seats. There are a few, though, who have purchased used seats at a junk yard and put holes in them. I'm not sure if even that will work. Race seats are highly engineered, and most folks don't understand where to make the holes. Thanks for your advice. Suggestions and comments like that are what make any group a better one.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
Talk about great marketing. Lot of JDM ricers/posers love the Takata harness to death... for $400 you can buy VERY good belts from Europe.
they didn't market jack ****. it's people like you that flip through option and genroq mags and see pics of gt/jgtc class cars specced out w/ those and think, hmmm... i MUST have that for my car... beeee-cause.... oh i know... it came from japan! just like my car! did you also own a speedo w/ "kmh" markings and a tach w/ a yellow needle?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, don't laugh }-{arlequin . . . I once saw a car with a boost gauge that didn't have a turbo. Reason? Beats me!!!

Quick Reply: March 07 Super Street issues