Notices

AKMEE Engineering EG2 del Sol in American Touge 3 (vs. JIC 996 Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delsol is just a POS rice burner. i've been a porsche fan since i was in high school so... no hard feelings. :-)

it is a pretty quick rice bucket tho, two years ago i lapped thunderhill full track w/bypass and turn 2:06's all day. a pretty well driven 996 GT3 street car was doing 2:05's... so i pretty much stayed with him. it was lots of fun. we pretty much passed everyone.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

LMAO, obviously the gt3 was anything *but* well-driven
Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol,

that just goes to show you that ANYTHING can be fast.. and its not about the power, or who made it.. it was how its driven!!

I've done battle with several "pos ricer burners" in my 944 and I'm about even, although I'm itching for the day i come across that H3 Integra again hehe, I chose to start racing a "pos beer burner," its as old as I am, finicky as hell, and expensive to boot... hmmm or is the my girl friend

I also have a great time in the subaru. after playing with a 997S that was wonderfully driven I really REALLY love those cars.. all except for the 90k price tag.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
LMAO, obviously the gt3 was anything *but* well-driven
i've track whored enough to know who's a decent driver. and he was. you think every owner of GT3 can drive like JVO or Cup Challenge drivers?! ha!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

all i'm sayin' is that when you "hang" w/ faster cars on the track, it's rarely b/c your car is almost as fast or "within 1 second"....
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
So quick to judge. lol. what makes you think some of these cars aren't circuit tuned?!
Maybe some of them are. I merely stated that it is of little interest to me how they can do on a mountain road (for 2 minutes I see) especially against cars that are totally stressed out. Just like I could care less about someones dragster that can do the quarter-mile in 4 seconds and change. An interesting car no doubt, but of little real world use. What is of most interest to me is what can be raced on the track. And to be a worthwhile car for the average racer, it must be fast and reliable over long periods of time.

Why do people always have fear of the unknown, and always try to put down what they are not used to?
I'm not afraid of it, just not interested in it. But then again there are people who are...good for them!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Being open minded can be a good thing. There are things to be learned from each discipline. Drag, drifting, autox, rallying, road racing, dirt, circle, all have lots of technologies and techniques. By limiting your self... *shrug*. Some of us are perfectly content with certain things in life. Some of us have quest of knowledge about everything. It's too bad that you can not appreciate the technologies that goes into a 4 sec. drag car. Have you seen the 1000 frames per sec. analysis of drag racing? That might open your eyes.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad that you can not appreciate the technologies that goes into a 4 sec. drag car. Have you seen the 1000 frames per sec. analysis of drag racing? That might open your eyes.
I can appreciate it, and have seen those super slo-mo videos. They are facinating, but I still don't like drag racing. I know what goes into those street grenades, but do I have to like them? I think that the true measure is keeping them running, not getting them to run. But that's just me, you don't have to feel that way.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

So quick to judge. lol. what makes you think some of these cars aren't circuit tuned?! The Mine's R34 Skyline is super fast for a fully street legal car. At the primedia time attack in nov. it was 5th overall. IMO it should've been classed in Limited AWD, not Unlimited AWD. Look at the lap times it is less than three seconds off a full World Challenge 996 Cup car which start its life as a purpose built track machine.

The RRE Evo's has done well in autox/road race too. The point is, road circuit tuning might not work well for Touge/mountain driving. Get the drift? Maybe if you try to be open minded you can learn something...

Why do people always have fear of the unknown, and always try to put down what they are not used to?
Eiji, that is interesting. I have a very high regard for the driving talents of James Sofronas, since I have raced with him. Help me understand a bit about the Skyline you were droving, though. I know James' World Challenge 996 certainly cannot match the HP available to the Skyline drovetrain.

Also, help me understand the course. Is it a one mile slalom of cones? Or is it a road course? I am not familiar with the Horse Thief Mile configuration you mention.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
ryoji
Advanced

These two forum may give you more idea of event and cars (Skyline is R-34 GT-R)

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=157434
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...&f=11&t=335950

The following link shows you the ways Japanese like to upgrade/tune their cars for a circuit use (and drift as well)

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pickup/index.html

--------
GhattoRacer : Is your Del Sol going to be on a Japanese magazine?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

My names is not Eiji, it is Frank. Eiji Yamada, his nick name is Tarzan, he's a popular Japanese pro driver. Don't look too far, check out what Sofronas drove in the Limited RWD class, a 996 GT2. I'm not sure exactly what it has... probably just ran race gas and turn up the boost a little bit, it is #6 overall and about 1.3 seconds slower than the Mine's R34.

Buttonwillow Raceway located about 2 hour North from Los Angeles. Full track is about 3 miles. Config #13 CW is what was used. It is about 2.85 miles. It's not a super technical track. It flows pretty well.

The time attack is different event than the American Touge 3 I posted about. Although, the Mine's R34 Skyline GT-R was present at both event. The Mine's Skyline is wellk known as 'High Response" tune. It uses fairly small HKS 2530 twin turbo setup. It makes probably about 450 bhp or so. Not like the 1000+ bhp 9 second, or 8 second drag Skyline's.

Here is the in car from the XS Engineering (US Tuner) R32 Skyline (different than the Japanese Mine's R34 Skyline) which has sequential transmission... it is drive by Japanese driver Tarzan Yamada. It will give you good idea about the flow and speed of the course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhpvSasZUjw&eurl=

Last edited by GhettoRacer; 01-03-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:27 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Originally Posted by ryoji

--------
GhattoRacer : Is your Del Sol going to be on a Japanese magazine?
The American Touge 3 video will be released in USA probably by about Feb. or March at the latest. I'm sure the segment will also be released in Japan. I do not have any contacts for Japanese print magazines... so I'm not sure. I would love to get featured in them. I need to learn Japanese, I took couple of years in high school but I did not study hard enough.

I have this wild idea of building a monster FF Honda to take to Tsukuba for the annnual Rev Speed Tsukuba event.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote from Fabryce at GMG:
We ran our GMG GT2 in this class - Running on left over Toyo Ra-1's (old race tires) we won the limited production class overall and had the 4th fastest time of the day ( overall) @ 1;53;4xx ( over 3+ seconds faster than any car in its class )

Our GT2 was run with the following modifications
GIAC/GMG Software 91 octane mode- GMGWCGT Sport Exhaust with 200 cell sport catalyst- Stock Airfilter- Moton Club Sport Damper- GMG Upper Dog Bones- GMG Inner A Arm bearings-GMG Thrust Arm bushings- GMG Toe steer kit.
Champion Magnesium GT wheels with Toyo RA1 305 rear and 245 front.
GMG Competition alignment and corner balance
For Safety our GMG GT Harness/Rollbar was installed with Sparco 5 point harness.
Complete interior was left intact.- including floor mats.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've track whored enough to know who's a decent driver. and he was. you think every owner of GT3 can drive like JVO or Cup Challenge drivers?! ha!
Yup. Frank really knows his drivers and he said that I suck. But he also said he can make me not suck so much if I pay him $1000 for every second that he shaves off my lap times from his coaching skills.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

So why don't you take me up on it lol. You got nothing to lose... heheh. Actually what I said was, I've seen/rode with better driver than you. Which you probably will admit is true. Unless you consider yourself as good as guys lilke Randy Pobst.

Quick Reply: AKMEE Engineering EG2 del Sol in American Touge 3 (vs. JIC 996 Turbo)