GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:50 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
05/2016, 7,300 miles; 10 track days.
Splitting hairs now, but was that early May or late May or?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

At NJMP. Lifted throttle got back on gas in 3rd. Lost third gear completely. still going to run today and tomorrow (just not using third lol).
If that broken dog ring goes through your gearbox it could lock it up and put you into a wall. Is you car or your life worth a track Day?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:59 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Splitting hairs now, but was that early May or late May or?
Where is that indicated?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:50 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
If that broken dog ring goes through your gearbox it could lock it up and put you into a wall. Is you car or your life worth a track Day?

thanks for that. I'm heading home.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:06 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

My original advice is still what I think. Drive the car. If it breaks make them fix it for you. Don't lose sleep.
Obviously, if the third gear dog ring is blown, you shouldn't go on track. But, if it breaks while on track, could it lock up the car immediately and result in a crash? If so, I think your previous recommendation about not losing sleep over the possibility of a failure is not the best advice. This is something Porsche really needs to take seriously, and as owners, I think we need to push for some more answers. I'm not exactly sure how to do that though. Just my two cents.

BTW, this thread has been enormously helpful and I really appreciate the input from all the technical masters who have posted here.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:22 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Where is that indicated?
I'm not aware of a way to find out looking at anything on the car itself, or any paperwork that comes with the car. You would need some history of the car during its build cycle for when it reached the "exit body shop" phase. If you aren't the original owner or weren't tracking your car through its production phases after a custom order process, then it may not be possible to know.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Obviously, if the third gear dog ring is blown, you shouldn't go on track. But, if it breaks while on track, could it lock up the car immediately and result in a crash? If so, I think your previous recommendation about not losing sleep over the possibility of a failure is not the best advice. This is something Porsche really needs to take seriously, and as owners, I think we need to push for some more answers. I'm not exactly sure how to do that though. Just my two cents.
You know what the beauty of free advice on the internet is? You are free to agree with it or free to reject it as not applicable to yourself. Every single time you take a car on the track that is a measured risk. Not everyone lives by this rule, but I personally will not set a tire on the track unless I am 100% ok with leaving that day with no car. Any single day something can break or someone else can take me out and my car is gone. I could also lose my life. That's reality of the game we play.

That said, there's a difference between having something that was working fine failing and going out on track with knowledge that there is already a failure in place. Yes, either instance could result in you in the wall. But getting on track with anything that's not 100% and being aware that it's not 100%?

So, feel free to question my advice. When I post, I post based on exactly what I would do if it were my car. You're not me. It's your car and your life. If you feel that the risk it too great, then act differently than I would.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

GTGears, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input as I'm using your experience and judgement to some degree to form my own opinion regarding the risk. I agree with pretty much everything you said in your post, but I'm just trying to reconcile the idea of tracking a car with a potentially known gearbox issue (albeit in prob only a small percentage of cars) with the idea of only driving a car on track if you/I know that it is 100%. Don't get me wrong, I plan on continuing to enjoy and track my car. I'm making the same decision that you have suggested that you would do. I just hope Porsche continues to investigate the issue, comes up with a solution if there is one, and makes the information public so we know what we are dealing with.

Anyway, thanks again. Your posts have been incredibly informative!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Little story about my buddy. Desmo track day (bikes), CMP many moons ago. I dragged him to the track to help coach him and help me out. He ran in intermediate with most everyone... and while he was out a guy kept going out for a couple laps and coming in all day and working on the bike... nobody paid attention. Guy on Honda was turning decent laps and my buddy had got shuffled behind him during an out lap...speed picked up and he followed him through a group in a high speed section only for the guy to slow without warning... two bikes totaled.. and not the Honda. After the marshals brought the bike in they mentioned that they knew the guy was going to cause something. After a very tense couple hours (and the Honda not going back out).. a little mob formed to hunt this guy. Sure enough he was all packed up and leaving early. During the back and forth it came to light the bike was hitting a soft rev after so many laps and they were trying to figure it out. All the sudden a track day indecent went to folks saying the dreaded word LAWYERS. Which it so happened was what the second guy to crash was... once word got back to him of the issue. It went crazy. You can figure out the rest.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Little story....... You can figure out the rest.
What does this have to do with car tranny failures; other than US tort law and lawyers?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:19 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

For those on this thread that have had a failure it would be good to add your data.
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...nTGDE/htmlview
Old 11-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by ExMB
What does this have to do with car tranny failures; other than US tort law and lawyers?

Was in response to the gentleman thinking of running around the track with his 3rd gear gone. My buddies bike was paid in full... something I've never seen during a track day.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
Was in response to the gentleman thinking of running around the track with his 3rd gear gone. My buddies bike was paid in full... something I've never seen during a track day.
yeah im well aware of the risks being in the legal industry. But there are waivers that are signed at the beginning of events limiting your right to sue. Regardless of that, I didn't run the car and went home.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

yeah im well aware of the risks being in the legal industry. But there are waivers that are signed at the beginning of events limiting your right to sue. Regardless of that, I didn't run the car and went home.
Likely unenforceable contracts of adhesion, no?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
Likely unenforceable contracts of adhesion, no?

Most I have ever read protect the organizer, if you drive recklessly or willingly create a hazard you're on your own.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure