Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

I love my GT4, but 997.2 GT3s seem like a deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016 | 03:33 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Default I love my GT4, but 997.2 GT3s seem like a deal

Hey guys. I know lots of you are long time Porsche guys that own or have owned the .2 GT3 and the GT4.

I'm seeing a lot of clean looking .2 GT3s show up on the classifieds.

I've had an on and off thing for the 997.x GT3 for a while. When I was making my purchase decision for the GT4 I chose it for a few reasons - because it was new and because it has 5 lugs etc. I also test drove a GT3 and it just seemed like a lot of car, but I still haven't been able to get it out of my head. Especially since golfnutintib gave me a ride at Thunderhill in his car (thanks!!)

I can only own one GT3 or GT4. Anyhow what do you guys think? Should I start hunting for a GT3? Or should I just stick with what I know and already love (GT4). I just ripped through the hills yesterday and had a blast in the GT4. I'm assuming the GT3 is just as fun if not more.

But at 115k-118k ish the .2 GT3s are looking really attractive.
Old 08-05-2016 | 03:54 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Have had both.

What do you think the GT3 is going to give you don't already have?

What is most important to you: track / street?

Do you like safety net of warranty?

Which of the two cars moves your soul more than the other?
Old 08-05-2016 | 04:27 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I went from a 2010 GT3 to a 2015 GT3 to a 2016 GT4. I'm happy with the GT4. ChrisF summed the decision making process fairly well.
Old 08-05-2016 | 06:08 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

I have both a 2011 GT3 and a 2016 GT 4 and they are certainly different cars and each fantastic in their own way. As for "lots of "997.2's" for sale, there were only around 600 made and about 165 of those in 2011 so it was a low production model.

The GT 3 pluses would be last of the GT 1 true dry sump engine and minimally "electric" car . the down side is to truly exploit the car you have to be way above the speed limit or on a track. It does have explosive power that can get away from you and driving a late 911 with its weight bias does take attention. The clutch is firm, the shifting is very positive and perhaps not the best car for stop and go driving.
the GT4 just fun anywhere. Plenty of power, great handling and a car you can comfortably take a long trip in, run to the store, track on the weekends and quickly bring smiles to your face. A great autocross car with its mid engine balance and sufficient power. By far one of the smoothest shifters ever. Clutch is softer than the GT 3 but firmer than the standard Porsche clutch and the car is not uncomfortable to drive in stop and go traffic i.e. real world.

So which is better? more answers then space but as was already said, which one turns you on the most. I drive the GT 4 far more than the GT 3 but the GT 3 will stay around because of what it is. I could not say the same thing for the 991 GT3
Old 08-05-2016 | 07:22 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Properly set up the 997 is an unreal car to drive.

I like the GT4 but it's not in the same league once you start pushing above 8/10.

If you get a really good shop to do an alignment on a 997.1 or .2 and you put a good exhaust bypass (i prefer side muffler delete with stock center section) you're only a couple steps away from a straight up race car that will give you more and more all the way to the limit.

The Gt4 is super easy to drive up to a point but the very last bit requires a lot different driving styles- mid engine means once you go over the edge there is really no coming back, the car needs to be finessed and inched forward which is counterintuitive for a lot of Porsche guys. You have to drive it really tidy like a formula car on bad tires.

GT3 or RS is just a ballsy beast. You drive it way too deep into the brakes and blast out of corners. You will spin it no matter what tires you try. You will never get sick of the noise. You will never feel like the car is wimpy- mostly because the transmission feels better (to me) and more capable than any transmission I've ever driven.

They're both good but yes the concerns are:

Warranty
Who owned it before?
How are you using it?
Old 08-05-2016 | 09:17 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

997.2 is far into the depreciation curve and for the reasons you mentioned plus the 911R pricing makes me think the GT3 is ripe for appreciation.
The GT4 is just starting on the depreciation curve
Old 08-05-2016 | 10:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Miss my .2RS, it's definitely more fun and more difficult to drive. It has 2x the character born of both amazing attributes and idiosyncrasies. It was such an occasion to drive compared to modern Porsches. Look for early threads on people moving to the gt4 from 996/997 cars.

That said, add 30-40k to whatever price tag you see and set aside for proper maint and repairs, if you plan to track it. They are also not the most reliable track car, so get a trailer. I think mine broke down at least 6 or 7 times over the 3 years I owned it.
Old 08-05-2016 | 12:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I think CJ nails the comparison as well as what's needed to drive the GT4 at 9/10 or above.

If considering a 997, get the GT3RS, in my opinion...
Old 08-05-2016 | 02:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

A lot of good input/views here. First thought that came to me was:

997.2 GT3 is ENGINE ENGINE ENGINE
981.1 GT4 is CHASSIS CHASSIS CHASSIS

Of course there's more to it than that. Then there is personality vs polish,
sense of occasion vs usability, historical value vs what it can be modified into, etc. How you weigh these will depend on you. Not an easy call between these two—they are both very compelling cars.
Old 08-05-2016 | 03:19 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It has 2x the character born of both amazing attributes and idiosyncrasies. It was such an occasion to drive compared to modern Porsches.
This +997.

Driving the 997.2 GT3 is an occasion. GT4 is more instantaneous gratification. Still love both.
Old 08-05-2016 | 03:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stout

sense of occasion vs usability, historical value vs what it can be modified into, etc. How you weigh these will depend on you. Not an easy call between these two—they are both very compelling cars.
Hit the nail on the head
Old 08-05-2016 | 05:06 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stout

+1 Great comment from Pete. Distilled to its essence, as always.
Old 08-06-2016 | 01:15 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Have had both. What do you think the GT3 is going to give you don't already have? What is most important to you: track / street? Do you like safety net of warranty? Which of the two cars moves your soul more than the other?
1) Mezger engine, it's a 911
2) Middle on both. I get to the track when I can, and do backroads more often. I'm not a ChrisF skilled driver yet. I was about 10-15s off of your pace on the 5m Thunderhill so I still have much to learn about the GT4 for sure
3) Don't care about warranty. I am aware of the extra costs
4) That is the problem. Right now the GT4. Why? Because I own it and know it. The GT3 on the other hand I've driven briefly so I don't really know that car the way I know the GT4. In fact I would say in general it takes me 6months to a year to know if I really like a car or not. That's part of the reason I switch them all the time. The GT3 is very special and I would argue historical. I know I would love driving it. What I don't know is if I would miss the accessibility of the GT4 or not. There is no doubt I would like a GT3. Unfortunately I can't just rent one for 2 weeks. As a former M Clown Shoe owner I have to say the GT4 has that feel of something I should keep, but hey I'm a car dude so I spend a lot of free time drooling over cars. My major reservation about a GT3 is that I could buy one and then miss the 4.

Haha first world problems. Ideally I'd have both but that's stretching the budget I have allocated and garage space.
Old 08-06-2016 | 01:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

this is all too cerebral
i have many women in my life
i have many cars on my drive
that's how i roll
keep the GT4, you already have it
save up for the GT3, you will want it
trust me.
Old 08-06-2016 | 01:53 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
this is all too cerebral i have many women in my life i have many cars on my drive that's how i roll keep the GT4, you already have it save up for the GT3, you will want it trust me.
This is probably the way to go. But you remember it's fun to BS cars online :-)

Quick Reply: I love my GT4, but 997.2 GT3s seem like a deal