Sponsored by: APR

430/360 v GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 430/360 v GT4

Curious to see if there are any current GT4 owners that have either owned or own a F430/360. Been looking at trading in the GT4 for one, leaning 430, and was curious on prior owners impressions/comparison of the two against the GT4.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't read any comparisons on here. I've owned a 360 and a 360 CS (Both F1). Haven't driven a 430, but I have driven a 458. In the grand scheme of things, the 360/430 are pretty similar to GT4 although I doubt there is much cross-shopping. I've searched for comparisons myself and haven't come up with much.

Compared to the 360/CS/430. I see it this way...

Ferrari Advantages:

Engine - I liked the 3.6L in the 360/CS more than I like the 3.8L in the GT4. The sound, the way it pulled hard to redline. It's down on torque but the gearing is very well suited to the engine. By all accounts the 430's motor is in another league.

Steering - I found the steering in the 360 to be one of the best. It's light but has great feedback and is very accurate. You also get a lot of feel about what the front end is doing because you are sitting very close to front axle. I think it's noticeably better than GT4.

Ergonomics - I know this is going to vary a bit for everyone, but the 360 has a slightly lower belt line than GT4 and then you have a lower center console and more space immedieatly behind rear seats. Windshield is much larger. All of this results in a more airy cabin and better outward visbility. The standard seats are very comfortable and have good lateral support.

Porsche Advantages:

New \ Warranty - I got spec my GT4 exactly how I wanted it. When I picked up my GT4 from the dealer, it had 10 miles on it. It was perfect, no scratches, no dings, no random broken trim pieces, no rattles, no squeeks, no mechanical issues, it was perfect. If there are any issues, Porsche will fix them for FREE. With used cars, especially 6+ year old Ferraris there is always something to address, sometimes it's minor, sometimes it's not, sometimes it's minor and it costs you an arm and a leg anyway because Ferrari parts prices are asanine. The 360 and 430 are pretty reliable in general and common issues are pretty well known, but maintenance requirements are high and parts prices are as well so when you need to address an issue or two it adds up quickly.

Handling - Out of the box, there is no comparison in my mind, the GT4 has more grip, it's more balanced, it under-steers less. It's just a better driving car. I do think that with some time \ energy \ money the 360 could be better. I suspect the 430 is a considerable step up.

Technology\Options - On the Porsche, if you want, you've got Nav, Heated Seats, Bluetooth, Sat Radio, Bluetooth streaming. The 360 has none of those. The 430 has a few more options in this area, but the radio opening is a single DIN so options are limited and\or ugly.

Other Notes:

Trans - Obviously with the GT4, you get a manual and only a manual. With the Ferrari, you have a choice, except that there is a large price disparity in the market. Also, on the 430, you get an F1 pump, whether you have F1 or not.

Looks - This is subjective obviously, but I love the looks of the 360. It's just a gorgous car, the 430 also, but slighlty less so for me personally. I don't feel the same way about the GT4. The 981 Cayman isn't a bad looking car, but the GT4 aero add ons are very much form follows function. Doesn't flow like a 360.

Attention - My 360 was red. My CS was TDF Blue. They got a lot of attention. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes i't annoying. The GT4 gets more attention than I was expecting, but I suspect if you wanted to fly under the radar, you could go with a more subtle color.

Italian Leather - This is going to sound a bit silly but there is nothing like the smell of Italian leather. It's just one of a myriad of things that make the Ferrari driving expericne special and different.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Admittedly, I only had a F430 for a weekend and it probably had the ****tiest transmission ever to be seen in a street car - the F1 thingy. You would have to put a gun to my head to pick one over a GT4.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Admittedly, I only had a F430 for a weekend and it probably had the ****tiest transmission ever to be seen in a street car - the F1 thingy. You would have to put a gun to my head to pick one over a GT4.
Fortunately this car (and the last such mid-engine Ferrari) has the option of 6spd gated manual and that is the box to get if you want an F430. F430 also has cam chains instead of belts which is a big improvement over 360 in terms of maintenance requirements.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Curious to see if there are any current GT4 owners that have either owned or own a F430/360. Been looking at trading in the GT4 for one, leaning 430, and was curious on prior owners impressions/comparison of the two against the GT4.
I owned a 360 Modena and a Challenge Stradale and I am very familiar with the F430. They were expensive to maintain/keep and did not perform as well as a current generation Cayman chassis (any model). The worst part of them was the F1-type shifter which was cumbersome to use on the streets and not so responsive. Otherwise, everything Smoltz said is pretty spot on.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

F430... the sound... my god.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

I'd rather have a GT4 than a 360
Old 05-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 102 Posts

I would choose a GT4 over both of those any day. Even a 458, I would buy in addition to the Cayman, not to replace it.

What is making you have these thoughts? Just want something more exotic and flashy?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

FWIW - I owned 2 360s over time (one F1, one manual). I would tell you that you can't discount the fact that the 360 is a 15 year old car. It has 15 year old tech, interior, etc. One can try to diminish that, but it still impacts the overall experience. Net/net: I wouldn't think of the 360 as an alternative to a GT4.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:40 PM
JustACarGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pope
I owned a 360 Modena and a Challenge Stradale and I am very familiar with the F430. They were expensive to maintain/keep and did not perform as well as a current generation Cayman chassis (any model). The worst part of them was the F1-type shifter which was cumbersome to use on the streets and not so responsive. Otherwise, everything Smoltz said is pretty spot on.
I recently did a run up and down Mt. Hamilton (here in the SF Bay Area) with Club Sportiva. We all switched between a bunch of cars along the way. I drove a Boxster S (981, Pirelli P Zeroes) with an F430 behind me and the F430 had more mechanical grip (forgot which tires). The Boxster S felt amazingly well damped and balanced especially after transitioning from a V8 Vantage, but the F430 was all over me. I drove the F430 next (second time in an F430) and it did indeed seem to have more mechanical grip. It's possible that it was just a tire issue, but we were generally able to carry more corner speed with the F430; several people complained about the lack of mechanical grip in the Boxster S. I have only been a passenger in the GT4 so far and most of it was on the Dunlops during a cold, wet day so I have no basis for comparison there.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to ask: What do you mean by 'mechanical grip'?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
FWIW - I owned 2 360s over time (one F1, one manual). I would tell you that you can't discount the fact that the 360 is a 15 year old car. It has 15 year old tech, interior, etc. One can try to diminish that, but it still impacts the overall experience. Net/net: I wouldn't think of the 360 as an alternative to a GT4.
^ This. Former 360 owner. F-1 trans was IMO one of the worst street driving experiences unless you were WOT. I know this comment will drive the F-car guys nuts, but it was my personal experience: car was in the shop 30% of the time I owned it and the maintenance costs were eye watering. However, mine had a Tubi and sounded like nothing else at WOT. Very fun car to have for sunny cruise days, but nothing I would ever take on a tour or long drive. Different cars for different purposes.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 PM
carcrazyteen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 360 and just bought a GT4. They are very similar to me. The above highlighted everything very well but I have an F1 360 and it has been good for 9 years and a bunch of miles now so your experience may vary. It sounds corny but the feel and experience of the 360 has me sold and it is a permanent fixture. The GT4 is too but I don't have as much time with it, however it would go long before my 360.
Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2016, 06:18 PM
JustACarGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I have to ask: What do you mean by 'mechanical grip'?
Grip between tires and pavement provided entirely by suspension and tires. As opposed to, say, aero grip.

Last edited by JustACarGuy; 05-10-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

The only Ferrari I would even remotely consider trading the GT4 for would be a 458. OK, maybe a 430 Scuderia.

The standard 430 may be slightly faster in a straight line, but has decade old technology. The 360 doesn't even come close for me.

Quick Reply: 430/360 v GT4