Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cantrell Bar and Harnesses Installed !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cantrell Bar and Harnesses Installed !!!

Installed the Cantrell bar and sub belt bars last weekend. Spent a few hours after work this week finishing off the harnesses. I'm ready for the Cal Festival of Speed !!! ... if it doesn't rain
Attached Images     
Old 04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice!

How long did install take? How did it go? Which parts had to be permanently modified? Would it be easy to replace them?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks great!
Old 04-02-2016, 04:04 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Thanks! It took me a full two and a half days, including trimming the carpet and the front plastic trim pieces. I also did the passenger seat cutout. The carpet behind the seats needs to be cut so that the bar can pass through it. Also the plastic corner trim pieces where the OEM seat belt passes through. The rear trim pieces covering the strut can also be cut, but I chose to simply leave those out. Cantrell provides an excellent instruction guide, along with templates for cutting the carpet/trim.

Big shout out to Justin at Cantrell and one of their VIP customers. I had originally purchased/installed the RSS lightweight harness bar as a temporary means to have 6 pt harnesses, with the intent to buy a "heavier-duty" bar (with hoop) sometime in the future. But once I saw the VIP customer's car with the Cantrell setup, I decided to pull the trigger. The RSS lightweight bar is an excellent (and less costly) option, if you don't desire a hoop - will be putting it up for sale soon...
Old 04-02-2016, 06:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

wonderful.
I concur and it is what I put in my car
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts

Looks great--I'll either do this or the new BBi option.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, your bar looks great!

I also got a Cantrell Bar (along with sub-bars and Schroth harnesses) installed this past week. Some of you may have seen pics of my GT4 with Red Forgeline GA1R wheels (if not, see below). I wanted to have the bar match my wheels but the transparent red powder coating on the wheels is a hard match.

I have to thank Collin at Cantrell Motorsports, Steve at Forgeline, and Brian at Competition Motorsports for helping me get a fantastic bar done in just the color I wanted. In addition, much thanks goes to all of the guys at ATX Autosport who worked tirelessly to get me ready for the track this weekend. They did a fantastic install for me! Pics of the finished install to come below.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Here are a few pics...
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

couple more pics...
Attached Images     
Old 06-15-2016, 04:35 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Jgarvish
OP, your bar looks great!

I also got a Cantrell Bar (along with sub-bars and Schroth harnesses) installed this past week. Some of you may have seen pics of my GT4 with Red Forgeline GA1R wheels (if not, see below). I wanted to have the bar match my wheels but the transparent red powder coating on the wheels is a hard match.

I have to thank Collin at Cantrell Motorsports, Steve at Forgeline, and Brian at Competition Motorsports for helping me get a fantastic bar done in just the color I wanted. In addition, much thanks goes to all of the guys at ATX Autosport who worked tirelessly to get me ready for the track this weekend. They did a fantastic install for me! Pics of the finished install to come below.
Sweet!!! Nice work... Now that I've had my Cantrell bar in for the past few months (and a few DEs), I'm 100% satisfied with it. No rattles or squeaks, plenty of room for seat to go back, perfect height (in relationship to harness pass throughs on LWB seats).

I see that you have cables for video/data? What system are you using? I just purchased the RaceLogic VBox Lite... will be installing it this weekend. Also looking to get into some forgeline 19" wheels. It looks like you are a few steps ahead of me... I'll be following your progress and reviews. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

with no sub strap slot on passenger seat what are you doing ?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
with no sub strap slot on passenger seat what are you doing ?
It's pretty easy to cut your own slot using a dremel tool. There's a thread on the 991GT3 forum that covers it. I believe the thread author is "Montoya" ?

I suggest taping/masking your seat with plastic sheeting before cutting. The dust goes everywhere.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

That ain't gonna fly with liabilty- We are going through that with
PCA right now. A few shops won't even discuss it. That's why I asked. Schroth has the 4 point that is also being argued. That Porsche didn't do it equal is nuts.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 547 Posts

When my shop did it, they said it looks like it was designed to be punched out, but had not been by the factory. You could argue that the cantrel sub-bars are illegal I guess, but I'm not sure where the rules are that govern how a sub bar is supposed to be attached.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
That ain't gonna fly with liabilty- We are going through that with
PCA right now. A few shops won't even discuss it. That's why I asked. Schroth has the 4 point that is also being argued. That Porsche didn't do it equal is nuts.
PCA not allowing a manual passenger cutout would be a joke. That safety is the least of their worries relative to all of these bolted on harnesses of questionable attachment point strength.

Quick Reply: Cantrell Bar and Harnesses Installed !!!