Sponsored by: APR

What did you do to your GT4 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:34 PM
realdrray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy
No clue. Did a shakedown today and ran it up to 7k and all of the sudden the red warning message is on and I see lots of coolant spilling out the front right radiator area. They won't get to check it until Monday. Since the transmission work requires a full coolant flush I wouldn't be surprised if the tech goofed up on something. Absolutely livid right now.
and for good reason!! hope everything works out, i haven't gotten out to drive mine lately still only have 415 miles. i need to get in touch with my dealer too and see if they got my new carbon illuminated side sills as mine were lifting off the plastic
Old 01-02-2016, 05:39 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

No clue. Did a shakedown today and ran it up to 7k and all of the sudden the red warning message is on and I see lots of coolant spilling out the front right radiator area. They won't get to check it until Monday. Since the transmission work requires a full coolant flush I wouldn't be surprised if the tech goofed up on something. Absolutely livid right now.
That ****ing sucks Are Porsche techs the same prepubescent pimpled faced high school drop outs that work at Honda?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Ugg!!! Dang Soupy, whats Porsche trying to do to ya? Probably didn't tighten a clamp or something super dumb like that.

Makes me think of my deceased father who would ask a thousand questions. He basically assumed no one followed through on anything and would grill people. At the time, I thought he was crazy. NOW I UNDERSTAND!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM
brucejoanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mattheboatman,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Chrono surround is hard plastic with leather wrapped over the plastic. Don't think heating the plastic will make it pliable (could heat it with a heat gun and melt it :>)

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Would love to see pics. My suggestion would be to add heat and moisture. Perhaps from a steamer or perhaps you can steam up your shower and place it in there. That should do the trick.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang Soupy, I just read your squeaky clutch thread and I am sorry to read this. I am sure it will be resolved, but what a headache.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

The smart money says you're probably correct. I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

When someone has to drain the coolant for a repair and you develop a coolant leak . The odds of no connection are about the same as getting hit by a meteorite in the next 20 minutes!! carl
Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

That's infuriating. If you just shut it down once the overheat light came on and the car didn't stall or smoke then it's probably fine.

I'd still probably push for a compression/leakdown test and maybe even a Blackstone analysis on the oil. On the dealer's dime.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

I seriously doubt if theres any collateral damage. The light is designed to give you a warning before damage not after.

Ill bet its a hose that they didnt put all the way back on after draining the coolant . The procedure for draining the coolant includes pulling off the radiator hoses. carl

Last edited by 4carl; 01-02-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

After 6 hours, I'm finally back home. Luckily no engine overheat warning, it was a "low coolant - do not drive" warning. I had no signs of prior coolant leaking so it sounds like it was quick and catastrophic in the leakage. The weather is pretty chilly right now and I pulled off into a parking lot fairly quickly as well while it still had some coolant in it. Had to run it for a few moments to load it on the flatbed but that's no big deal.

On the other hand, for those in the DC area who plan on using Porsche Roadside Assistance, the preferred carrier is Blair's Towing. While the driver was nice and they had race ramps to get it up safely, I waited for THREE hours in the car. The Valet service to myself home was also worthless as it would've been another 1.5 hours for a limo taxi so I just Metro'd back home. They were willing to reimburse an Uber ride but that requires filing expense via snail mail; can't PDF it and it'll likely take a month before you see a check. Dealer service was obviously closed so I couldn't get a loaner and had to use the night dropbox. Almost ready to go nuclear on PCNA now.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

After 6 hours, I'm finally back home. Luckily no engine overheat warning, it was a "low coolant - do not drive" warning. I had no signs of prior coolant leaking so it sounds like it was quick and catastrophic in the leakage. The weather is pretty chilly right now and I pulled off into a parking lot fairly quickly as well while it still had some coolant in it. Had to run it for a few moments to load it on the flatbed but that's no big deal.

On the other hand, for those in the DC area who plan on using Porsche Roadside Assistance, the preferred carrier is Blair's Towing. While the driver was nice and they had race ramps to get it up safely, I waited for THREE hours in the car. The Valet service to myself home was also worthless as it would've been another 1.5 hours for a limo taxi so I just Metro'd back home. They were willing to reimburse an Uber ride but that requires filing expense via snail mail; can't PDF it and it'll likely take a month before you see a check. Dealer service was obviously closed so I couldn't get a loaner and had to use the night dropbox. Almost ready to go nuclear on PCNA now.
What a nightmare. But sounds like the engine should be perfectly fine, so silver lining...
Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Get them to pay for a new engine and use that money for 4.0L conversion
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Sucks to hear soupy, hang in there. I'd be pissed too. 4 months from now, this will be a distant memory (probably doesn't help).
Old 01-03-2016, 07:15 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Sucks to hear soupy, hang in there. I'd be pissed too. 4 months from now, this will be a distant memory (probably doesn't help).
His car leaked coolant, he didn't break up with his girlfriend
Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, dealer says O-ring failure on front right radiator after pressure testing it. There was still coolant in the car so there should be no damage from any overheating. No one's admitting fault on why there's a premature O-ring failure so I'm making PCNA step up again. Just glad it's not a catastrophic failure causing other damage for now.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Well, dealer says O-ring failure on front right radiator after pressure testing it. There was still coolant in the car so there should be no damage from any overheating. No one's admitting fault on why there's a premature O-ring failure so I'm making PCNA step up again. Just glad it's not a catastrophic failure causing other damage for now.
Can't imagine they'd be screwing around with the radiator O-ring for a coolant flush. Weird. At least the car is fine and they're taking care of it...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GT4 today?