GT4 impressions so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 AM
hccyong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post GT4 impressions so far

Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself and give some of my personal impressions of the GT4. I'm coming from a 1995 BMW E36 318is as my personal regular driver, a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart sportback (another rare car...that my wife mostly drives). In recent years though, I've been driving engineering cars from work where I do a combination of powertrain firmware and chassis controls. Some years back I worked for Ford's chassis group, did stability control work there after a brief stint at SVT. So over the years I've driven a variety of performance cars for benchmarking and for fun, but none have been as focused as the GT4 other than the Ford GT.

I was very lucky to have found a GT4 out of state. Having written to probably 200 dealerships in March/April, I picked one that had a single digit wait list with a low deposit, and that worked out for me even though I had to deal with transport, smog, registration, etc.

Unfortunately so far, with a busy work and family schedule, I haven't had much chance to drive the GT4 too much yet other than to and from work on some days, with a slight detour on roads near work in the hills. The car only has about 500 miles on it so far, and I'm trying to heed to the North American specific no WOT, under 4200 RPM break-in suggestion, at least for now. But it's enough to gauge its general sublimit character.

As expected, the GT4 is a very precise, capable and easy to drive machine. The steering is full of information but generally lighter than expected in normal driving. The effort builds very quickly with cornering though, more so than any other power assisted car I've driven. It does toggle over and lose self-centering at high lock in parking maneuvers which is a bit of a surprise. The steering and turnin are sharp but not artificially so. In fact, it may feel slower than some advertised "sporty" cars because it's relaxed and linear near center. Many cars will give you very sharp turn in accompanied with some roll or
unexpected yaw gain for the sporty feel. Basically the chassis could use faster steering, but there's no need for it.

The brakes feel great, except there is a small section near top of travel where the force hasn't built up very much yet but the gain is very high, so you need to do what feels like position control of your foot to modulate braking. This is most noticeable while trying to fade out while nearing a stop. Perhaps this is typical Porsche because it's evident in the Cayenne Turbo S too which I drove recently for work (although that had the PCCB). Because the pedal is generally firm and high, heel and toe requires rolling your foot over a lot. Certainly this would be appreciated under very hard driving, but around town it is harder to execute well, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Turning on Sport enables the rev matching which does work very well. It is also very fast so it blips the throttle very hard. I don't know how easy it'd be for a person to do blip the throttle so hard and rapidly.

Sport mode also changes the thermal management, which Porsche did not clearly advertise, but it is consistent with the non-GT models. In normal, coolant temp levels out at about 105C and the oil at 110C under light driving. In sport, coolant drops to about 95C and oil about 100C. I really like what appear to be real temperature gauges that move around with load and airflow, and also the oil pressure gauge and a
voltmeter.

The clutch pedal felt quite heavy initially, but I've gotten used to it. It also felt a bit too straightahead as opposed to off to the left which I'm more used to. But again, I'm getting used to it. The shifter is very mechanical and reminds me of shifting in the arcades...that distinct metallic feel from gate to gate. It's good but not something that I care too much about I guess among other traits.

The standard sport seats are very comfortable in general and offer good enough support for my needs, although the seatback gets warm for me. There is quite fine resolution of the fore/aft adjuster, which I
appreciate.

Initially the powertrain noises seemed cacophonous and somewhat crude. Within a couple of hundred miles though, it rounded out a lot. It still sounds mechanical at low RPMs but is much smoother than before. It really becomes harmonious and symphonic around 3500 RPM and up, particularly with some load. I can't wait to see what is sounds like in the higher range. In general, the powertrain is a bit on the loud side for me in normal driving but certainly acceptable as a daily driver. Turning on the sport exhaust under the break-in constraints doesn't change things much at all. It's a little deeper under heavy throttle, and there's a hint of overrun burble sometimes, but barely noticeable. I'm pretty sure it'll be a very big difference up in the higher end. The exhaust setting does not persist across drive cycles.

I haven't used the sport damper settings very much yet. This one does persist over drive cycles. In general the ride is surprisingly good. You can't get away from the stiff springs which become evident over very large bumps/dips and driveways/ramps where you can actually feel one corner run out of rebound travel and the car waddle on 3 corners, but on all normal roads that I drive on, it's more livable than I had expected. There is a bit more vertical motion from the rear, but maybe it's because the seats are close to the rear axle. Occasionally over freeway bridge transitions the rear will feel like it hits a nonlinear portion of travel and be soft, not tugging you back down the way you'd expect it to. In the sport chassis setting (which is intended for use on smooth tracks), the difference is still only incremental. Slightly more jiggly I'd call it but still acceptable and actually feels better sorted because it seems more consistent (no unexpected softness). What's less livable daily is the scraping of the front lip over most ramps and driveways. It's annoying to have to come to a crawl and/or find alternative gas stations and shopping complex entrances and exits. But at least this part is cheap (shipping aside) and easy to replace.

My car came with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's. The grip is good. I wouldn't call it phenomenal the way some people say it is. Even the GTS posts beyond 1G lateral, but for some reason this car doesn't feel like it. Maybe the seats just hold me too well. I suspect that it'd get better with some real temperature in the tires. If anything, it may be slightly lower than I had expected, but I think it's confounded by the fact that the ar gives you so much more feedback in the sublimit range. What I mean is, even at 4-5 tenths, the car is already giving you lots of information on toe changes and slip. This makes it very enjoyable to drive there, whereas most cars don't become engaging until say 6 tenths and then get annoying by 8 or 9 tenths due to understeer or some error state. So in a way, I'm surprised that I'm already feeling that the car is already starting to get into the nonlinear range at 4-5 tenths, but maybe it's because you can't perceive this information well from other cars. There's still a lot more to be had, but the abundance of feedback makes you cautious that you're starting to push it. Also, I think because the car is stiff, the vertical load changes quickly which may be another reason why I can sense the limits earlier. Under steady corners, it's definitely slight (to sometimes significant) understeer but it can be provoked very easily with the throttle. I can see why on the track there'd be too much understeer. The lift throttle response is perhaps the aspect that's most significant beyond my expectations. The car will change its attitude quite a bit. Unlike most cars where this often happens as or after the suspension pitches forward and settles while the rear lifts and loses camber, this car rotates before you even fully off the throttle, almost like it's faster than your foot. It's doing so from weight transfer immediately, even before the suspension attitude changes. It'd be interesting to see how controllable this is closer to the limit. But at 7 or 8 tenths it's already more dramatic than I'm used to.

Other than powertrain noise, the tire noise is pretty noticeable on some pavements where it becomes annoying. At other times it's perfectly fine. A coworker mentioned that it may be related to tire temperature, but I haven't found a good way to test out this theory. Another noise gripe is that the stereo system hisses even with the volume all the way down. This is very audible when the engine is not running and is even noticeable when idling if the fan speed is relatively low. I will ask this to be looked at under warranty at some point. Muting gets rid of almost all of it, but the stereo automatically unmutes when turned back on. Wind noise is insignificant at freeway speeds relative to the powertrain and road noise.

The analog speedometer is generally unusable with major tick marks at 25 MPH and minor ones at 5 MPH mainly because the needle is almost as thick as the tick spacing. It's also inconsistent with the digital speedometer at 50 MPH and 75 MPH where it points 2-3 MPH different. The upshift triangle is also annoying. Seems like it wants you to drive at 1500 RPM in all gears except 6th. Maybe that's you get the advertised 18 MPG city and 23 MPG highway. In my driving so far I'm only getting about 14 MPG. I doubt it'll get any better once the car is broken in as I'll drive it harder. At least the tank is pretty large, and the fuel gauge seems relatively linear instead of indicating full for a long time and then dropping rapidly. I only used cruise control once, to test it out. The setpoint indicator is tiny and seems like an afterthought, overlapping some of the other indicators.

The multifunction digital display is really sharp and useful. I really like the tire pressure readouts. I find it interesting that they allow you to set custom track pressure setpoints, but I've not used it. The torque graph is helpful to gauge how much more torque I can expect at any given RPM without flooring it while I'm still breaking things in. Unexpectedly to many, the G meter is not available without the Sport Chrono package, and neither is the gearshift assistant, despite material suggesting that they're standard. The manual also says that the driver's side mirror is aspherical, but in reality it's just plane. Given how small the mirrors are, I would like to get the aspherical one, but it's over $400 due to the autodimming!

I shared with some of you that to satisfy CA DMV inspection, I had to show the emissions sticker which, in this case, is above the engine which meant about a dozen trim pieces had to be removed in order to get to the engine cover. There's actually a bunch of storage in this car, although split up into all sorts of different places. The front trunk and glove box are large, and there are two sizable door pockets in each door. The rear trunk is quite shallow but still has tiedown hooks anyway. And the large parcel shelf over the engine also has tiedown hooks, although I'm not sure what you'd put there. Behind each door is a deep cubby that would almost fit a paper towel roll. Again, I don't know what you'd put there. Maybe water bottles and umbrellas? But you can't reach it while driving, and it's hard to reach even when you're not driving.

Having not used the upper range yet, I won't call the engine peaky, but it certainly doesn't have a lot of torque down low. It builds very nicely though, which is what I prefer; it becomes quite adequate by 3000 RPM and starts to sing, literally, by 3500 RPM. As many people have mentioned, there are hiccups/hesitations in the 2000-3000 RPM range under light to medium load. The delivery torque is interrupted by engine mapping, fuel delivery or something like that. It has the same stutter sensation as when say idle control kicks in and bucks the car a bit, or like when you lift the throttle and the driveline oscillates one or two cycle, except this happens while you're just accelerating through slightly and expecting relatively constant torque. I wonder if there'll be a new tune issued, but I can live with it. It's annoying mostly because it's inconsistent so you never know when you might get it. Some people say it's much worse when their tank is low which sounds disconcerting since then it could be a fuel delivery issue!

The car gets too much attention, both good and bad. I probably should have gotten the gray, but I do like the Carmine red a lot, especially in the shade where it takes on a darker, deeper hue. So far it seems more resistant to dust than I had expected, but oil/prints show up easily. The car got delivered with a scratch on the rear wing, but it doesn't bother me enough to get it repaired right away, so I got a front trunk liner in exchange. There's a lot of film showing up on the inside of the windows, but I'm guessing it's the plastics offgassing and hope it'll get better soon.

That's it for now. Let me know if you're curious about any particular aspect.

Last edited by hccyong; 10-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

This is the most amazing car review I have ever read. It's such a standard of detail, knowledge, clarity.. I have never seen anything like this. I had a conversation with Loris Bicocchi once (famed Lamborghini/Pagani/Bugatti development driver) and he approached this level of descriptive granularity, but you're at a different level.

You should post this review in a magazine.. It would single-handledly elevate standards to where "normal" reviews would no longer be acceptable.

Please keep sharing your insights as your learn more about your vehicle.. Subscribed.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thx for sharing - was fun to read.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 AM
MP4L
Advanced

Thank you for this amazing write-up...
can't wait to read your impressions after the break-in
Old 10-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great technical write up. Can't wait for the emotional write up once you have broken it in. It's a very different animal above 4.5k rpms!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:23 AM
ny911
2nd Gear

Could anyone share the review or their opinion of GT4 vs CGTS/CS?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Well done. Awesome review, really one of the best I have ever read. Thank you

Couple of small comments.....

Regarding the grip levels and that you commented that felt it was below your expectations, the car limits are really high and surprisingly it can be really pushed well beyond the point you think where the limit is, and would still hold. Really very deceptive.

The other comment is regarding your observation about how well the car rotates as you ease off the throttle, and while some of that is due to some weight transfer but mostly it is a result of the torque vectoring working while you are turning. it mimics the feeling you get during weight transfer, and it gives you a nice rotation. I have this feature in my GT3 and also 911 4S, but for some reason it is more noticeable in this car, and probably due to being a mid engine layout.

Again thanks for the excellent review. Mark
Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats to the OP

Originally Posted by mqandil
The other comment is regarding your observation about how well the car rotates as you ease off the throttle, and while some of that is due to some weight transfer but mostly it is a result of the torque vectoring working while you are turning. it mimics the feeling you get during weight transfer, and it gives you a nice rotation. I have this feature in my GT3 and also 911 4S, but for some reason it is more noticeable in this car, and probably due to being a mid engine layout.
Why do you think this is PTV? Just curious given my experience with mid and rear engined cars. Is it the extent of the rotation? I noticed the rotation last night and I was surprised by how much it rotates but I chalked it up to having just driven a rental Audi TT in Europe for the last 1500 km.

The car rotating on lift throttle is CLASSIC mid-engine behavior. In fact, those coming from front engines cars sometimes are surprised just how little of lift can induce rotation, whereas in a BMW you might have to completely get off the gas to have the same effect. In my Lotus, just a slight breath off the throttle allows the nose to tuck in.

This is also the same reason people are advised to never lift in a 911 mid corner...at least until you know what you are doing.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
The car rotating on lift throttle is CLASSIC mid-engine behavior.
^^^ Exactly!!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hccyong

Having not used the upper range yet, I won't call the engine peaky, but it certainly doesn't have a lot of torque down low. It builds very nicely though, which is what I prefer; it becomes quite adequate by 3000 RPM and starts to sing, literally, by 3500 RPM. As many people have mentioned, there are hiccups/hesitations in the 2000-3000 RPM range under light to medium load. The delivery torque is interrupted by engine mapping, fuel delivery or something like that. It has the same stutter sensation as when say idle control kicks in and bucks the car a bit, or like when you lift the throttle and the driveline oscillates one or two cycle, except this happens while you're just accelerating through slightly and expecting relatively constant torque. I wonder if there'll be a new tune issued, but I can live with it. It's annoying mostly because it's inconsistent so you never know when you might get it. Some people say it's much worse when their tank is low which sounds disconcerting since then it could be a fuel delivery issue!
Thanks for such a thorough assessment and it is always nice to get the perspective from someone that is new to the brand and platform.

The one disappointing mention for me is what you describe in the above quote. We had this issue with our 2013 981, and it was very pronounced and quite annoying. The way I describe it to folks is that the car almost "hiccups" when rolling on to the throttle in the 2K-3K rpm range. I was hoping this was fixed. I agree that it sounds and feels like a mapping issue - I guess the map is not handling transitions in inputs very gracefully at that point.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Definitely the best initial review that I've ever read! Very nice write-up and detail. Looking forward to a follow-up review after you let the car really wind out (good luck waiting until 2k miles, ha).
Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like how sophisticated and scientific this report reads. It must have to do with what OP does for his living and educational background. Thank you. Completely agree the second post - OP should submit to a magazine and post a youtube review (be wary of the length)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:51 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 385 Posts

Congrats on the car. I hope you become a regular contributor to this forum as your insights are valuable and very interesting. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Great write-up, love the much more analytical approach with a lot of nuance. Feels like an enginnering debrief would sound after a test. Keep it up!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:52 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 89 Posts

Saw your write up on the other site. Nice!

Quick Reply: GT4 impressions so far