Sponsored by: APR

LWB delay!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
Has anyone figured out how to use the folding GT2 bucket seats in the US spec 981? This could be an option if LWB not available.
The GT2 bucket seats will bolt right in and the electrical harnesses are plug and play as well. HOWEVER, the seat occupany on the passenger side is not compatible with the old GT2 buckets, so you WILL still get a seat belt warning light triggered. The workaround to this is to transplant the seat occupancy detector from your original seat over to the GT2 bucket and only then will it work perfectly with no lights. I don't know what the exact details are to actually transplant the occupancy detector over.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want your car to move up in production, change out the LWB seats.

I have a July build slot and want the LWBs, so I may be screwed.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis
If you want your car to move up in production, change out the LWB seats.

I have a July build slot and want the LWBs, so I may be screwed.
I was told we had until May 12 to make that decision. After that they moved other orders forward, freeing up Aug and Sept for us LWBers.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM
mcdavis
Racer

The fact that the system will not even accept an order with LWB is dysfuctional...it seems like PCNA is trying to force certain options on folks because of shortages.

It's ok to move folks up in line in front of me, but it is not ok to force my hand with option selection.

What happens if a July build stays at V100 too long? Will I automatically move to August? What do I have to do to get the LWBs at this point in time with a July production slot?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis
The fact that the system will not even accept an order with LWB is dysfuctional...it seems like PCNA is trying to force certain options on folks because of shortages.

It's ok to move folks up in line in front of me, but it is not ok to force my hand with option selection.

What happens if a July build stays at V100 too long? Will I automatically move to August? What do I have to do to get the LWBs at this point in time with a July production slot?
I agree with what Porsche is doing here. Obviously the seat supplier is coming up short and/or Porsche underestimated the demand of this seat which they use on the GT3, GT3RS, 918, GT4, and B Spyder.

So ok, given that, why should they run under capacity on the GT4 assembly line in July? There are thousands of other parts in this car. They have all those other thousands of parts coming in July. So why not build cars in July for those people who don't want or need the LWB's?

Otherwise do you tell the wing manufacturer to reduce his deliveries in July because you don't have enough LWBs? That seems silly to me. Production capacity is limited so make what you can when you can if that means temporarily halting one option out of the dozens of available options on this car.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:00 PM
williambnj
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

I just spoke with SA. I got a copy of my status--- I have LWB and carrara white-- Planned completion was July17th, now 8/28. Planned delivery 9/4, now 10/9. I guess just have to wait. SA says maybe they will get this straightened out earlier but otherwise just to sit still for now. at least I have an allocation with CW and LWB!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone know of a work around to accommodate child seat w LWB? There is an issue w passenger airbag deployment making LBW's unsafe for child occupancy. My build is w 18 ways but I secretly lust after the LBW's... But not at the expense of my children's safety. I don't mind the wait (car delayed anyways due to color choice).
Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by williambnj
I just spoke with SA. I got a copy of my status--- I have LWB and carrara white-- Planned completion was July17th, now 8/28. Planned delivery 9/4, now 10/9. I guess just have to wait. SA says maybe they will get this straightened out earlier but otherwise just to sit still for now. at least I have an allocation with CW and LWB!
Wow, that may turn out to be a very rare combination/car.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 PM
williambnj
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
Wow, that may turn out to be a very rare combination/car.
Yeah wow I was just thinking that as I was writing the post!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 PM
981GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No delay further delay to my LWB order which in total has slipped by 2 weeks, currently still slated to start production at the beginning of June.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:30 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Provie
Anyone know of a work around to accommodate child seat w LWB? There is an issue w passenger airbag deployment making LBW's unsafe for child occupancy. My build is w 18 ways but I secretly lust after the LBW's... But not at the expense of my children's safety. I don't mind the wait (car delayed anyways due to color choice).
First, are you talking about a child seat or a booster seat? The first requires ISOFIX latches (which aren't available on any Cayman seats, AFAIK), while the latter is kept in place with the standard seatbelt.

If a booster seat then, after much back and forth, gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, it's been determined that some boosters will fit nicely in the pan of the LWB. There is a weight sensor built into these seats, so the air bag will automatically be deactivated for lightweight passengers. In other words, no real functional difference between a LWB or sofa.

Finally, hopefully you already have an accepted order with LWBs, or it's a moot point.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 AM
mcdavis
Racer

I agree that they need to keep the line moving, but...PCNA should not force my dealer to buy a car in July if they cannot provide the advertised options for the person who is waiting for the car. If my dealer is forced to take a July car, I am screwed. I will happily wait 6 months of necessary...I just want a car.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:43 AM
csbear
Racer

Originally Posted by williambnj
Nice! You were able to get that combo through! I really like CWM...
Old 05-15-2015, 05:25 AM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
I find it odd that your dealer is the only NA dealer with Spyder allocations.
Actually May 9th (I think) was the date that several dealers got their build slot dates for the allocations in Q3 (July to Sept). And apparently the Spyder allocation numbers (mine got 4, the same amount as GT4s). However, unless that includes a build date for Q3, I am doubtful he has any dates yet (I did not ask). Heck he still has no date for my Q4 GT4 allocation.

And I am hopeful to hear that the LWB may be available again after August. Seems I made the right choice to decline the earlier July spot to stay on my Q4 allocation...
Old 05-16-2015, 01:36 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 981GT4
No delay further delay to my LWB order which in total has slipped by 2 weeks, currently still slated to start production at the beginning of June.
I think this may be the key as your production is very early. I put my deposit down last year, got the number one allocation, and production was supposed to be mid July with delivery end of August, early Sept. Regular white with LWB.

Just checked to see if there was a delay and they moved my order UP! Now supposedly delivery date is July 17th. No doubt, Porsche works in mysterious ways and I know that I'm lucky. I put down a deposit when the car was a figment of everyone's imagination and they were speculating a 450 hp turbo

Quick Reply: LWB delay!