Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New:GT4 Essex/AP Racing Front&Rear Radi-CAL Brake Kit and PCCB-sized J Hook Discs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 666 Likes on 371 Posts
Default New:GT4 Essex/AP Racing Front&Rear Radi-CAL Brake Kit and PCCB-sized J Hook Discs!

Hello GT4 owners. We have a couple of awesome new brake products that we've been working on that I wanted to share with you. We had a GT4 up on our lift last week confirming all of the data we needed to make these products a reality (A huge thanks to the generous owner who let us borrow it)!

PCCB-Sized Iron AP Racing J Hook Discs GT4 front and rear
The first is our Essex Designed AP Racing 2-piece J Hook discs in the OEM PCCB sizes. We should be shipping these for the GT4 in about 6 weeks. Below is the link to my thread in the 991 GT3 section of the forum. The only difference for the GT4 is the hats:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ccb-sizes.html

Here they are on a GT3 RS:

Complete front and rear Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit

Some of the goals we outlined at the outset of this project were:
  • Eliminate the need to remove the caliper to change pads
  • Provide durable, ventilated stainless steel pistons (no ceramic piston caps to break) with anti-knockback springs
  • Offer iron J Hook discs with a high vane count, vastly improving longevity compared to the the crack-prone drilled OEM iron units and the fragile PCCB discs.
  • Allow our customers a huge array of pad choice from all major manufacturers
  • Reduce unsprung weight by a significant amount, without the pitfalls of PCCB's
  • Make sure they fit behind OEM wheels without a spacer, and allow for a wide range of aftermarket 19" wheel fitment
  • Maintain the use of the parking brake on the rear kit
You can see many details in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html

Final product will look something like the pics below, but the discs will be much larger than the ones on our standard 981 kit:
https://s18.postimg.org/vqn0i1mft/IMG_6896.jpg

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 192 Posts

Great idea! You seem to be addressing all of the major concerns with the various OEM brake choices.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Jeff,

Just like on the GT3 forum you need to offer the option of just getting the calipers for those that already bought your rotors.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I still don't understand why Porsche uses those stupid ceramic pucks that crack and why they bridge the caliper so we can't do quick and easy pad swaps anymore.
AP makes solid products.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I suspect you can also fit cup car callipers/discs (Brembos) and they will take an 18 wheel which would allow a range a better tyres and slicks. Not applicable in the US though.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ExMB
Jeff,

Just like on the GT3 forum you need to offer the option of just getting the calipers for those that already bought your rotors.
Hi Andy,
We would absolutely love to offer that option, but it's unfortunately just not possible. It would require completely new caliper forgings from scratch. The mounting hole spacing that Porsche uses for their calipers is not consistent with anything in the current AP Racing lineup, and the radial depths of the pads/discs are completely different on the OEM vs. the AP Racing calipers. If there was any reasonable way to do it, we would have already done so.

Great idea! You seem to be addressing all of the major concerns with the various OEM brake choices.
Thank you! Yes, we want to provide a complete solution that eradicates all the hassles and issues that owners face.

I suspect you can also fit cup car callipers/discs (Brembos) and they will take an 18 wheel which would allow a range a better tyres and slicks. Not applicable in the US though.
The cup spindles are likely not the same as the OEM road car spindles. That means the parts aren't interchangeable. That has been pretty standard for Porsche race cars vs. road cars for many years.

I still don't understand why Porsche uses those stupid ceramic pucks that crack and why they bridge the caliper so we can't do quick and easy pad swaps anymore.
AP makes solid products.
Thank you sir! The ventilated stainless steel pistons in our system are much more durable, and we've never had any issues with them under any conditions (including 24-25 hour races).
Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Thanx for the email with the brake parts inspection guide Jeff.

Great customer service.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great customer service.
Glad you enjoyed it! We have a couple other articles/videos that we're talking about doing, that cover similar topics.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Jeff, please PM pricing on caliper/rotor kit.
Thanks, Alan
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 PM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please pm me on pricing as well. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Jeff, thanks for the quick response.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Below are some new close-up pics of the PCCB replacement discs:

Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Jeff,

please email me pricing on the full kit as well as the PCCB replacement discs.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:17 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by b46
Please pm me on pricing as well. Thanks.
Hi Jeff,

please email me pricing on the full kit as well as the PCCB replacement discs.

Thanks!
I sent you both a PM with all of the pricing info. Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Great customer service.
I also would like to put a good word in for Jeff and the Essex team in regard to the excellent customer service they provide and the quality of the products they sell.

The photo of the silver GT4 on the lift above is my car, which was shipped down to Essex for measurements to be taken for the upcoming brake kit. As always Jeff and the team took great care of the car and really did a terrific job with respect to communication from the time the car arrived at Essex (in NC) until I received it back at my home in DC.

I have also been fortunate enough to have the Essex discs and Spiegler line kit on my GT4, as well as a full Essex/AP caliper and rotor kit on my BMW 1M. All of these products have performed extremely well on the track. In addition, when my shop identified that the rear brake lines on the first version of the Spiegler kit for the GT4 were rubbing slightly, Essex quickly had Spiegler make up a longer set in order to resolve the issue with no cost to me. As a result, I was able to replace the lines in time to make it to an event at VIR that was scheduled very soon after the problem was discovered.

Finally, I have had several conversations with Jeff and the Essex staff over the last few years regarding a number of technical issues and I can’t say enough about the depth of knowledge that these guys have regarding high performance brake components.

Quick Reply: New:GT4 Essex/AP Racing Front&Rear Radi-CAL Brake Kit and PCCB-sized J Hook Discs!